Guards converted to tackle?

Status
Not open for further replies.

patchick

Moderatrix
Staff member
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
A question for those with better draft memories: a lot of observers have said that OG Branden Albert offers position flexibility and could project to tackle. Can anyone think of college guards who ended up as successful pro tackles? The conversion almost always goes the other way, or occasionally from TE to tackle. But a college guard is usually a guard for a reason...can you think of exceptions?

A question for those with better draft memories: a lot of observers have said that OG Branden Albert offers position flexibility and could project to tackle. Can anyone think of college guards who ended up as successful pro tackles? The conversion almost always goes the other way, or occasionally from TE to tackle. But a college guard is usually a guard for a reason...can you think of exceptions?

No, and that's what's been bothering me too.....if Alberts is good enough to be drafted in the top 10 as a left tackle, they why the hell wasn't he playing that position for the Cavaliers last season? Has Al Groh taken to eating ****** sandwiches, because I certainly don't understand why you'd bury a dominant lineman inside if he had the ability to play tackle....in the ACC no less. Injuries?

Last edited:
There may have been some but I can't think of any. I can think of quite a few who were college tackles and played guard in the NFL.

That is why I can't understand the Albert thing. Certainly if the Patriots a looking for an upgrade at guard and he will be elete at that position. But, I don't understand those who say draft him as the next LT or RT when he's played 2 games at tackle.

Larry Allen is one of those guys. He was a Pro Bowler at RG, LG and LT. Im not sure if he was exclusively a G or T in college. But I know he was an All Pro G with Dallas before he moved outside.

Youre really not liking the idea of NE drafting the Albert kid are you? :) Dont worry too much. You know the likelihood of them doing anything we're even talking about at this point is slim.

David Diehl comes to mind, OLT, Giants.

Vernon Carey, who has become a solid OT for the 'phins.

David Diehl comes to mind, OLT, Giants.

Vernon Carey, who has become a solid OT for the 'phins.

Well, Diehl's moved outside out of necessity. The Jints have been looking for an LT to move him back to guard.

That being said, it's a good example.

I thought Carey was drafted as a tackle?

Well, Diehl's moved outside out of necessity. The Jints have been looking for an LT to move him back to guard.

That being said, it's a good example.

I thought Carey was drafted as a tackle?

I thought Carey played mostly OG at U of Miami? Where's Remix when you need him?

Last edited:
No, and that's what's been bothering me too.....if Alberts is good enough to be drafted in the top 10 as a left tackle, they why the hell wasn't he playing that position for the Cavaliers last season? Has Al Groh taken to eating ****** sandwiches, because I certainly don't understand why you'd bury a dominant lineman inside if he had the ability to play tackle
Speaking of sandwiches - the reason I heard he didn't play LT was he was sandwiched between DeBrickeshaw Ferguson and whoever they have now who is supposedly a big time prospect too. Why they didn't put Albert at RT, I don't know, maybe they'd prefer him at G to RT but there was a reason why he wasn't playing LT for them.

These points are well taken.

There are literally hundreds of college tackles who have moved to LG. There are very few college guards who have excelled at LT.

Now, on the right side, I am not so clear, but I think that it is still much more likely that a college tackle moves to RG than a college RG moves to right tackle.

All that being said, we may need a RG or we might need a RT.

Youre really not liking the idea of NE drafting the Albert kid are you? :)

Yeah, I can see that it must look like that, but I was honestly curious. Some good examples in this thread!

Whenever I hear of a college guard who projects to tackle, my first thought is "wow, who did they have at tackle then???"

Didn't Kaczur play some OG in college, or is it just that scouts listed him as projecting to OG in the NFL. Because a bunch of scouting reports from that draft listed him at OG.

Yeah, I can see that it must look like that, but I was honestly curious. Some good examples in this thread!

Whenever I hear of a college guard who projects to tackle, my first thought is "wow, who did they have at tackle then???"

I understand. Albert started as a freshman next to D.Ferguson at guard. He may have stayed there because his skills suited their ground game scheme, he was strong at that particular position and because VA doesnt have much of a passing game right now, so protecting a QBs blindside isnt as high a priority as pulling on power sweeps. But my best guess would be that if Albert came back for his SR. year, he'd probably have converted to LT. Considering how many decent LT prospects are available this year, I find it pretty impressive that this kid's speculated draft day 'value' has risen as high as it has. I originally recall Pittsburgh being his logical destination a couple months ago in the mid 20s. We've spent some time discussing this kid's potential impact, and what's comical is how wrong I am every single year, but how much I end up learning about other team's top players. ;) Part of the beauty of the machine that is the NFL. The draft is actually important to the league in far more ways than one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes