PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Gruden thinks the Pats are 'overrated'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Boston Boxer
come on guys...we have a good Offense, but our D stinks, plain and simple. I think we should lower our expectations a little.

Our offense could be better than good, they could be great, the D just has to be average for us to win more games than we lose.

Last edited:
Still smarting from that playoff loss we handed you, Chuckie?

To be fair, Gruden has been pretty level headed toward the Pats since then. The defense looks to be an issue right now while the offense looks like it could reach juggernaut status. Questions on the defense include: both DE positions, OLB, and CB. On top of that, they didn't look like they could stop a high school squad against the Rams last Thursday night. Maybe these issues can resolve themselves Eugene Wilson style. God knows I hope that happens. But, as of right now, it's very easy to have questions about this team.

Not sure what the fuss is about - the season hasn't started yet and a lot of teams are overrated, some are underrated and a few are probably rated about right. Let the games begin and then we can measure achievements and rate accordingly. I prefer the Pats to be underrated and if Gruden's comments lowers expectations by everyone so much the better.

If the Patriots are overrated, what does that make the Jets? Over-overrated?

Lots of self-proclaimed experts are picking the Patriots as a wildcard team at best and crowning the Jets' asses. I like Gruden but I think he's out of line here.

Not that I ever watch the 4-letter network for anything but actual games, but anyone who still predicts double digit wins for the Pats is over-rating them. This could be the worst defense of the Belichick tenure, and unless the offense finds a running game that can get 1st downs in the 4th quarter, things could become sub-.500 ugly around here.

what confuses me is this

here

'MNF' gang predicts AFC East wins, losses - AFC East Blog - ESPN

they say dolphins are 9 wins or less

but today here

The Daily Dolphin Blog Archive ESPN analysts Jon Gruden, Ron Jaworski show some love to the Miami Dolphins

they say they could be a playoff team...

Gruden also had the Pats with 10 wins "on the dot" which is pretty much in line with what most people are picking the Pats within a game either way. Yet they are overrated.

In ESPN the Magazine, Jaws have the Pats winning the division and the Jets as a Wild Card. In the AFC East blog yesterday, he had the Jets winning more than 10 games and the Pats less.

This is why media people's predictions are useless. They change more than than the color of the leaves in October.

This is coming from a guy who won with another man's team, Coach Dungy.

What's your point? Dungy couldn't get it done.

Bill Callahan took a Raiders team to the super bowl that Gruden couldn't.

As for the Pats being "overrated" seems odd because hardly anybody is picking them to win a playoff game let alone the division.

The defense looks pathetic as usual so my expectations aren't very high. Because of the injuries, Mankins and the horrific drafts catching up to them, anything higher than 9-7 would be a shock.

This will be another year wasted for one of the greatest QB's of all time. So aggravating.

Last edited:
Well, ESPN Live weighed in tonight. Darren Woodson have the Pats going 11-5 and winning the division. Not surprisingly, Mark Schlereth picks the Pats to go 9-7 and miss the playoffs (the has voiced that he loves to get into it with Pats fans and loves to bait them, granted he does say that we can bring it better than most fans).

http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/17311/nfl-live-previews-afc-east

Last edited:

As for the Pats being "overrated" seems odd because hardly anybody is picking them to win a playoff game let alone the division.

The defense looks pathetic as usual so my expectations aren't very high. Because of the injuries, Mankins and the horrific drafts catching up to them, anything higher than 9-7 would be a shock.

This will be another year wasted for one of the greatest QB's of all time. So aggravating.

He got it done with the Colts. Whatever. Just look back to 2001, the media predicted the pats to be an average team and almost everybody thought that the Rams were going to win the Superbowl. In 2003, the Pat's run defense coming into the year was ranked 31st and there were question marks on both the offensive and defensive side of the ball. How did that season turn out? I realize that this years team has a lot to prove but have some freaking pride in the reigning AFC East champs. When Tom Brady went down with the knee injury everybody thought that this team at best can go 5 - 11...do you remember who played corner for us that year. Who freaking cares what Gruden thinks he hasnt been relevant in 10 years.

This. Agree with most of it. I think were going to see another frustrating year on the defensive side of the ball with QB's given enough time to endlessly pick the young secondary apart. My hope is they gel and improve when it matters down the stretch which was always going to be the case with all the rookies in there

What we need IMO is a balanced offense with a good ground game to get back to some offensive clock control and put up some scores

Can see a lot of high scoring games this year

Not that I ever watch the 4-letter network for anything but actual games, but anyone who still predicts double digit wins for the Pats is over-rating them. This could be the worst defense of the Belichick tenure, and unless the offense finds a running game that can get 1st downs in the 4th quarter, things could become sub-.500 ugly around here.

I think it's hilarious when people freak out due to ONE...ONE...I repeat ONE preseason game.

That's right....ONE preseason game.

PRESEASON...

ONE GAME.

Do I need to repeat it for you to understand that it's ONE PRESEASON game?

Not to hijack the thread, but if that was another person's team it was Sam Wyche's, not Tony Dungy's. That Bucs team was one of the best defenses in the history of the NFL - thanks as much or more to Monte Kiffin - yet year after year they under achieved. Consensus favorites to at least win the conference if not the Super Bowl, they were typically one and done or missing the playoffs entirely. Another year with Dungy coaching and Tampa Bay would likely have been 8-8 or worse rather than winning that Super Bowl. Their window of opportunity was closing fast; they hired Gruden just in time.

The Colts are another team that under achieved. Yes, Dungy finally did win the Super Bowl there, but it wasn't like he stepped into a major rebuilding situation; how many head coaches get to walk into a new coaching job with a Peyton Manning, Edgerrin James, Marvin Harrison and Reggie Wayne on their roster? Take away the one Super Bowl season and Dungy's career post season record is 5-10.

Well, Gruden has always been sort of down on Todd Light.

Either way, most analysts out there have the Pats somewhere between 9-7 and 10-6. Given the current situation with the defense, I can live with that level of expectation, though the Jets worship is puzzling. Everyone seems to think the Cromartie signing will lessen the sting of the Revis holdout. Fat chance of that.

This could be the year the Dolphins sneak out another division crown, unless the Pats defense steps up. If they do, it could get ugly for everyone else, because I think the offense is going to be pretty special this year.

Honestly, if I read any analysis that has the Pats between 8-8 and 12-4, I probably could be convinced. The defense is the question on which everything else hinges. Perform, and the Pats probably have a bye week. Falter, and make way for the Dolphins.

In any event, overrated is not how I would characterize the sentiment surrounding this team, unless one took the 6-day window after the Falcons PRESEASON game and set their analysis against that.

I don't know if the Pats are overrated or not, but I know that I don't generally listen to anything that comes out of Gruden's mouth. Has he received any offers to rejoin the coaching ranks?

all this preseason talk is just that. TALK.

While the D looks to be weak. I'll reserve judgement until after week 1.

It seems the proper and right thing to do.

Not sure what the fuss is about - the season hasn't started yet and a lot of teams are overrated, some are underrated and a few are probably rated about right. Let the games begin and then we can measure achievements and rate accordingly. I prefer the Pats to be underrated and if Gruden's comments lowers expectations by everyone so much the better.

I couldn't have said it better myself. Thanks for injecting some logic and reason into the conversation.

I think it's hilarious when people freak out due to ONE...ONE...I repeat ONE preseason game.

That's right....ONE preseason game.

PRESEASON...

ONE GAME.

Do I need to repeat it for you to understand that it's ONE PRESEASON game?

Make that 2 pre-season games, with the same result:

This "defense"(snicker) can't stop anyone.

If Gruden's so great how come Chan Gailey got another HC gig while Gruden is still on BSPN?!

Just sayin'.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing