PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Groves talks 3-4, good stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.
FYI: The article is obviously in relation to the 49ers interest in him, how he would fit on the team, what Groves thought of his meeting with the team, and if he would like to play for them. There is a little more to this piece, including a few additional questions. The Writer has responded to some of the comments left, as well.
http://49ers.pressdemocrat.com/default.asp?item=2190034&mode=

It would be sick if the 49ers got a matched pair of rushers in Lawson and Groves. I hope that doesn't happen and Groves ends up a Patriot instead. :)

It would be sick if the 49ers got a matched pair of rushers in Lawson and Groves.

Oh man, a LB corps with Willis, Lawson and Groves...it's the PatsFans.com field of shattered dreams! :p

It would be sick if the 49ers got a matched pair of rushers in Lawson and Groves. I hope that doesn't happen and Groves ends up a Patriot instead. :)

San Fran had the league's worst O last year. And this is absolutely a MUST WIN season for Nolan. They also just lost Larry Allen, a big hole on the inside of that line. He needs to be replaced. Rush LBs are great. Young LBs are great. But this team has gone LB with Lawson and Willis the past few years. They need talent in other areas. Groves doesnt want to go to that team if he knows what's best for him.

What's the earliest spot we could take Groves? If we took him at #7 I don't think I would complain at all.

I would. A lot.
Same thing for DRC.

Last edited:

The more you hear guys talk about Groves, the more they say he is a boom or bust type of player.

The question becomes, does he have the suddenness to beat OT's around the corner? If not does he have the counter moves necessary to go to plan B?

I think the fact that BB brought Groves in late last week says a lot. If Groves passed the physcial examination, I think BB could have a genuine interest in him. BUT I do not think it is at #7, a little further down is more likely.

The more you hear guys talk about Groves, the more they say he is a boom or bust type of player.

The question becomes, does he have the suddenness to beat OT's around the corner? If not does he have the counter moves necessary to go to plan B?

In some sense, I actually think Groves is a "safe" pick, b/c you know he will at least provide a pass-rush threat, and for his first season or two, he can come in on passing downs and tee off. As an overall player, as a 3-4 OLB convert who has to learn to not just rush, but hold his ground in the run game and drop into coverage, maybe he is boom or bust (although I think it was Sebman who posted his tackles for loss numbers, which showed he was also a force against the run), but as a pass rusher, playing in a 3-4, it feels like he's as safe a pick as the Pats will see in the first round.

Last edited:

Personally, I think Groves and Gholston are almost the same player with the same potential to be boom-or-bust guys. While Chris Long would be my first target (I think he's going to be the best player in this draft), I'd rather slide down to the 15-20 range and take Groves then be roped into taking Gholston at #7 (assuming he's available). I wouldn't be upset if Gholston ended up a Patriot, of course, but I'd be happier with Groves later than Gholston earlier.

For what it's worth, scouts are questioning Gholston's repertoire of moves and his quickness around the corner, as well. He doesn't look as good on film as he does in workouts.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing