PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Gronk was in bounds why no challege?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stick21

Practice Squad Player
Reaction score
I was watching the game sunday and thought he had one foot down when he caught the ball and then took another step in bounds and they called it out of bounds
it would have been a first down inside the ten but we kick a field goal
why didnt bill challege this

i just watched it again on NFL network and i thought he was inbounds anyone else see it this way?

I did. Some might say that it was to brief, but it looked clear as day that he already had his right foot down when the ball hit his hands and then he lifted it, got his left foot down and went out of bounds. Could have won it, might not have, but it's WAY too close to not challenge. Losing the TO wouldn't be that bad, making that play could have won the game though.

Last edited:
I agree but after watching Marvin Lewis's epic fail in the wildcard round I'm glad to have a coach who is conservative about throwing the red baggy. I don't think the guys upstairs or anyone else got a conclusive look at it until it was too late.

I did. The Pats got hosed on a few calls, this being one of them. I'm sure Belichick thought that upon review there wouldn't be enough evidence to overturn the call. Remember that Vernon Davis catch in the NFC championship game where his heal looked out of bounds, but his toes were in bounds? There just wasnt enough evidence to overturn the call on the field, but if the ball was spotted at the 29, you can be rest assured there wouldn't be enough evidence to overturn that call either. Gronk's foot was just too close a call I imagine.

agreed. I thought in frame by frame it was clear he had the ball and the foot down still.

As already pointed out, even if the replay ref disagreed, not much to lose, but a lot to gain, I thought.

I was watching the game sunday and thought he had one foot down when he caught the ball and then took another step in bounds and they called it out of bounds

i just watched it again on NFL network and i thought he was inbounds anyone else see it this way?
A lot of people did, i thought his toe was on the line. But i haven't watched it again, and if it was close why didn't BB challenge it. It ended a really good drive deep in Ravens territory

I think it went quick and BB didn't have time to look at the replay as it was really close. Also, BB doesn't throw the challenge flag much, only when he's almost 100% he'll win.

it was a big play in the game
a first down inside the 10
and we kick a field goal vs a touchdown big call i thought
simms is a moron right away he says hes out of bounds and they never show it again

Here's another reason why I was so perplexed as to why he didn't throw the flag: It would have been a HUGE 1st down instead of having to punt. BB has shown over the years that he's more interested in challenging a cricital play, even if a long shot, rather than worry about having enough 'evidence' to throw the flag confidently. It seemed that was the PERFECT critical spot where he'd throw the flag almost without thought, yet it didn't seem like he was even considering it. Very out of character.

For such a tight game he should have challenged. I thought he was in at the game. After watching it taped I still feel that way. Could have been a huge momentum shift at the time.

The refs were confused by a scoreboard malfunction. :eek:

Here's another reason why I was so perplexed as to why he didn't throw the flag: It would have been a HUGE 1st down instead of having to punt. BB has shown over the years that he's more interested in challenging a cricital play, even if a long shot, rather than worry about having enough 'evidence' to throw the flag confidently. It seemed that was the PERFECT critical spot where he'd throw the flag almost without thought, yet it didn't seem like he was even considering it. Very out of character.

it was 3rd down would have been a first down at the 8 yard line no punt they kicked a field goal

Totally agree that it was a catch. If they saw the same replay upstairs that CBS showed (I assume they did), then someone screwed the pooch in not relaying the info to BB in time.

Yet another moment in the game that contributed to my losing my voice for a day. :enranged:

it was 3rd down would have been a first down at the 8 yard line no punt they kicked a field goal

True, I was thinking a punt for some reason. Still, it could have been a 4 point difference easy. I don't get why you don't take a minor risk for a relatively big reward.

BB had to rely on Ernie Adams upstairs since the play happened accross the field out of Belichicks view. Evidently, Adams thought it was too close to challenge.

Ithought it was a bang-bang play. Very similar to the Evans play in the endzone at the end of game that many Ravens fans are complaining about.

I didn't agree with many of the calls but I thought they were consistant.

guys someone who is watching the game on NFL network take look its as clear as day i saw it at game speed when i was watching the game and i backed up my DVR to check and couldnt beleive no challenge

I was at the game and the replays they were showing on the big screen made me believe that it was not a catch. Like someone said in an earlier post I don't think they had enough time to slow it down enough for Belichick to see enough evidence to overturn the call on the field.

BB had to rely on Ernie Adams upstairs since the play happened accross the field out of Belichicks view. Evidently, Adams thought it was too close to challenge.

I believe that Ernie missed that one. Should have been a challenge. Perhaps BB was saving his challenges figuring the game was still young.

Word up was that Ernie missed it because he and Josh McD were busy in a heated argument about Tebow.

is this the play with 3:10 left in the first half? If so then he was out of bounds not even close not sure what you guys are seeing. I have it recorded and he gets Possession with one foot on the ground second foot way out of bounds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back