PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Gronk rated #10 overall by Pro Football Weekly

Status
Not open for further replies.
FYI....NFLN is reporting Gronk has torn ligaments in his ankle:bricks:

That's to be expected with a high ankle sprain. They'll shoot him up full of Gronkuilizers and he'll be ready to go.

FYI....NFLN is reporting Gronk has torn ligaments in his ankle:bricks:

Someone needs to post this as its own thread. I appreciate others who have weighed in on it in this thread, but it's rather important to discuss.

It comes from a Rappaport tweet, and no one seems to be picking it up in the Boston media, nor has he posted it on his blog. Not a fan of his anyways.

All sprained ankles involve some ligament tearing, second and third degree especially. A high ankle sprain is a separation of the leg bones.

All sprained ankles involve some ligament tearing, second and third degree especially. A high ankle sprain is a separation of the leg bones.

Thanks. So what is the timetable to be 100 percent, depending on the degrees?

Still think this deserves its own post.

Thanks. So what is the timetable to be 100 percent, depending on the degrees?

Still think this deserves its own post.

No MD I just looked it up, but iced down, then taped up he should be able to play. It's not going to be 100% in two weeks, but doesn't need to cause the tape replaces the ligament function, I guess, which is to stabilize it.

Sprained Ankle - Your Orthopaedic Connection - AAOS

It's silly of me to give medical opinions, but it seems a grade 3, or high ankle sprain, would involve casts and crutches (unless your Corey Dillon, in which case you stay the starting running back and hop through the line on one foot.

I don't know about you, but I've had plenty of sprained ankles and if you ice them right away, it makes a huge difference. He apparently iced down and taped up and went back in, which sounds encouraging to me.

Not than Brees. Better than Newton and Stafford. He was much more valuable to his team, took a 1-4 team into the playoffs, and won a playoff game against a good team.

Just based off of real accomplishment alone, Tebow should be ahead of those guys. And he was a more efficient passer than both of them. Not to mention if you consider passing yards in the air important, then yeah he belongs. He ended up the #1 in air yards efficiency. Nobody completed more passes by air at a better yards average % than Tebow.

But nobody wants to talk about it because it's Tebow. And he did it with one of the worst receiving squads in the league. Not like Newton and a Triple Crown winning receiver like Steve Smith or Megatron and Stafford.

People are going to be very surprised by Tebow come next year. His transformation will be "miraculous"...or so they will say. They'll talk about how much "he improved".

After reading your responses, I realized that you aren't being sarcastic. In the NFL, I have never seen a defense sell out on run so hard for an entire game. No team would unless they had no respect for the other team's QB. It almost worked. Thanks to the Pats, the blueprint to defeat the option seemed to have been found much more quickly than it was to the wildcat. Tebow's "success" as a QB in the NFL won't last longer than a handful more games, if that. The widely held "belief" among zealots that Tebow is a good NFL QB is proof that religion can severely cloud peoples' minds.

Last edited:
Not than Brees. Better than Newton and Stafford. He was much more valuable to his team, took a 1-4 team into the playoffs, and won a playoff game against a good team.

Just based off of real accomplishment alone, Tebow should be ahead of those guys. And he was a more efficient passer than both of them. Not to mention if you consider passing yards in the air important, then yeah he belongs. He ended up the #1 in air yards efficiency. Nobody completed more passes by air at a better yards average % than Tebow.

But nobody wants to talk about it because it's Tebow. And he did it with one of the worst receiving squads in the league. Not like Newton and a Triple Crown winning receiver like Steve Smith or Megatron and Stafford.

People are going to be very surprised by Tebow come next year. His transformation will be "miraculous"...or so they will say. They'll talk about how much "he improved".

Playing the Tebow is a victim card or he had to face adversity makes me throw up in my mouth..

Out of High School he was one of the top quarterbacks, was a player of the year in Florida, had to make the choice between Fla State or Alabama football program,got a Heisman, drafted in the first round.. and then god forbid he had to fight to earn a starting job in the NFL.. so much adversity for Timmy.

He is not a victim, instead he has led a very charmed football/NFL life...

Revealing those stats to everyone would make too many popular quarterbacks look bad, and they would have to admit Tebow is a VERY accurate passer.

But no doubt it's more impressive and it requires more skill to accurately throw a 40 yard pass, then rack up ~2500 yards in yards after catch which is about what Brad, Brees, and Rodgers have.

I'm sorry but I don't find any skill in completing a 2 yard pass that goes for 20-30 yards. Reading defenses and completing passes in traffic is one thing, but to look at the yards Brees got and try to convince me he gets the credit when half of those have little to do with his own arm....pfffft. Same goes for Brady or Rodgers.

If throwing a well timed, well placed ball in traffic to a receiver in stride is not a skill, then basically every competent NFL quarterback should be seeing their receivers get 2,500+ YAC. That is not the case.

Football Outsiders' basic argument on high DVOA offenses is that consistency and variance minimization offenses will often beat inconsistent highlight reel offenses because two forty/fifty yard bombs for TDs will lose to four 10 play dink and dunk drives for TDs more times than not as the bombs-away offense will have to punt more often due to long bomb incompletions, and unfavorable down and distance scenarios.

If Tebow can be NFL competent at the short and intermediate route trees, then he could be very dangerous, but he is not even close to NFL competent on the short/intermediate route tree yet.

Wouldn't have had a problem with Brees as #1. Dude played better than Brady this regular season

False. Dude makes a bigger living than people are willing to admit on throwing the ball barely past the line of scrimmage. Hell, Sproles had more yards AFTer the catch than he had total receiving yards. What's that tell you? I believe 35% percent or so of his passes were dumps to a RB around the line of scrimmage................The ball isnt usually traveling very far when he throws it, so his "accuracy" is vastly overrated.

Four thoughts on the various topics in this thread:

1) BiBi Jones and her twin (if she has one, God willing) couldn't keep Gronk from playing in the SB.

2) Brees is lethal ... in a dome. He's the very defintion of a dome QB, and that team is all but useless outside.

3) Saying Tebow is a "very accurate passer" should be added to the auto-filter here. It's so far beyond the realm of reason I can't even comprehend it. His int % is so low because most of his passes aren't catchable by anyone on the field.

4) Stats are for illustration and context, and are a part of an overall evaluation of a player. Using only a cherry-picked stat (especially something like "yards in the air" ) to prove a player's "efficiency" is a poor and easily-debunked debate tactic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back