PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Gronk Making Significant Progress

I actually believe that despite the fact that initially the cap hit and the lack of production will hurt that this team will e better off with out Hernandez contract. I felt he regressed last season along with once again proving he was not durable. He was a nice player but not deserving of his extension, I felt that his deal was more based around potential and the fact they were concerned that Gronkowski deal would cause Hernandez to hold out or become a locker room issue. I think it goes with out saying Gronkowski is a star player and Hernandez was just upper echelon.

You could very well be right. It has been something that I have thought about myself.

As nice as it was to have that luxury and ability to take advantage of mismatches, I also feel that AH was somewhat overrated a bit too.

It could actually end up being a good thing once they are able to properly adjust, experiment with some different players and/or schemes, and deal with the cap hit. Thankfully, this team prides itself on being thrifty (not cheap) and making correct money mgmt decisions, so it won't hurt us as much as it probably would have 80%+ of all other franchises.

Surely you exaggerate?

The know-it-all doomsdayers seem pretty sure that Amendola won't even make it that far into the season. They are all just sure that he's going to fall out of his wheelchair and down some subway steps the first day of training camp.

I'm fairly certain they have some advance video of it here:

Unbreakable - Falling Down Stairs Scene - Tradgic and Hard to Watch!!! - YouTube

Oh, and thanks for the kudos, guys. You can thank your lucky facebooks that I'll be around a little more often this year. ;)

You could very well be right. It has been something that I have thought about myself.

As nice as it was to have that luxury and ability to take advantage of mismatches, I also feel that AH was somewhat overrated a bit too.

It could actually end up being a good thing once they are able to properly adjust, experiment with some different players and/or schemes, and deal with the cap hit. Thankfully, this team prides itself on being thrifty (not cheap) and making correct money mgmt decisions, so it won't hurt us as much as it probably would have 80%+ of all other franchises.

We got to see how dominate the 2 TE offense can be. This season will likely be a lot like last season, mix and match between 3 WR and 2 TE, maybe even some 2 RB looks with Vereen and Ridley. I think in the offseason we will be able to properly address replacing Hernandez. Fortunately I think it will be a lot easier to replace a Hernandez type player than it would be to replace a Gronkowski type player.

Patriots tight end Rob Gronkowski appears to be making strides toward returning from back surgery. But just how soon he’ll return to the field remains to be seen.

Gronkowski has resumed some light workouts, and Ed Werder of ESPN reported that people who have been working with Gronkowski describe him as being in good spirits, looking good and making significant progress.

Gronkowski making progress after back surgery | ProFootballTalk

I just saw Adam Sheafter on NFLN saying that Gronk is doing well and the Patriots are hopeful that he will be ready to play in the Buffalo opener...

I just saw Adam Sheafter on NFLN saying that Gronk is doing well and the Patriots are hopeful that he will be ready to play in the Buffalo opener...

That's good news except for the part about wasting him on Buffalo. C'mon! If there's one game he can miss and use the time to recuperate, that's the one.

That's good news except for the part about wasting him on Buffalo. C'mon! If there's one game he can miss and use the time to recuperate, that's the one.

I now have more confidence Gronk won't be on in season PUP but I agree that he may miss one or more early in season games. Certainly Buffalo.

I expect him to be on the field game 1.

Also, this ridiculous debate about how we are better off without Hernandez.... really?? This is arguably a top 3 TE. Between him and Gronk they could have been the GOAT duo ever. Easily on pace to be the greatest TE duo ever. When both are on the field teams have no way to stop our offense. Either we run effectively or we pass effectively. You can't stop both.

Thankfully we have Ballard who I have always thought was underrated, but speaking how we are better off with Hernandez is just ridiculous Pats homer spin. There is no way we are better in any way without Hernandez.

great news here..if he can come back to 100% and play a full year..the O will be fine

Also, this ridiculous debate about how we are better off without Hernandez.... really?? This is arguably a top 3 TE. Between him and Gronk they could have been the GOAT duo ever. Easily on pace to be the greatest TE duo ever. When both are on the field teams have no way to stop our offense. Either we run effectively or we pass effectively. You can't stop both.

Thankfully we have Ballard who I have always thought was underrated, but speaking how we are better off with Hernandez is just ridiculous Pats homer spin. There is no way we are better in any way without Hernandez.

I hear what you're saying Tony, but there were ways where Hernandez was also somewhat overrated too. He made his share of drops, mistakes, penalties, etc. He has also battled some injury problems too, and IF the defense's claim that he also has back problems is true we have no idea whether that would have bit us in the ass down the road. All in all, he's only started in 29/48 games here (or 60%). In his 3 yrs of playing here, 2 of them totaled production of 45 and 51 catches. Basically he had ONE good year. I'd much rather have kept him obviously, as his main trait was the ability to take advantage of mismatches by keeping the same personnel on the field, but that can be done with another TE just the same. Hernandez had a great potential, but was also overrated in some ways just the same. We weren't quite as "unstoppable" as you are claiming, judging by the past 3 yrs of playoff losses.

Having a player who obviously has some attitude issues, along with other significant psychological problems and doesn't interact well with other teammates may end up being better for us to get rid of once the obvious cap hit is dealt with. I think that is what some posters including myself are feeling. Don't get me wrong, I'd much rather have kept him--but hearing some of these things come up now and coupling it with the TRUTH of Hernandez's on-field production may very well lead someone to believe that the argument can be made that it's better to deal with the loss now and move on...

If your demons are that great that you have been in multiple instances with shootings and guns, and you don't interact well with others (Welker situation when he was a lowly rookie as example), then an argument can certainly be made that getting over the initial backslide may prove to be a better end result in the long run. Only time will tell, but I certainly understand the argument that some are making.

I hear what you're saying Tony, but there were ways where Hernandez was also somewhat overrated too. He made his share of drops, mistakes, penalties, etc. He has also battled some injury problems too, and IF the defense's claim that he also has back problems is true we have no idea whether that would have bit us in the ass down the road. All in all, he's only started in 29/48 games here (or 60%). In his 3 yrs of playing here, 2 of them totaled production of 45 and 51 catches. Basically he had ONE good year. I'd much rather have kept him obviously, as his main trait was the ability to take advantage of mismatches by keeping the same personnel on the field, but that can be done with another TE just the same. Hernandez had a great potential, but was also overrated in some ways just the same. We weren't quite as "unstoppable" as you are claiming, judging by the past 3 yrs of playoff losses.

Having a player who obviously has some attitude issues, along with other significant psychological problems and doesn't interact well with other teammates may end up being better for us to get rid of once the obvious cap hit is dealt with. I think that is what some posters including myself are feeling. Don't get me wrong, I'd much rather have kept him--but hearing some of these things come up now and coupling it with the TRUTH of Hernandez's on-field production may very well lead someone to believe that the argument can be made that it's better to deal with the loss now and move on...

If your demons are that great that you have been in multiple instances with shootings and guns, and you don't interact well with others (Welker situation when he was a lowly rookie as example), then an argument can certainly be made that getting over the initial backslide may prove to be a better end result in the long run. Only time will tell, but I certainly understand the argument that some are making.

FWIW, using Football Outsiders' rankings, which are both total value and play-per-play, among TEs:

2010: 5th total value, 6th play-by-play [GRONK: 2/3]
2011: 11th total value, 19th play-by-play [GRONK: 1/1]
2012: 25th total value, 26th play-by-play [GRONK: 1/1]

Note that this only includes passes thrown in his direction (including INCs). It takes no account of any other plays.

In any case, it's basically one awesome year (2010), one good-to-great year (2011), and one average year (2012).

Oh, BTW, as food for thought, in Ballard's one healthy year (2011), he ranked 7th by total value and 5th play-by-play.

In any case, it's basically one awesome year (2010), one good-to-great year (2011), and one average year (2012).

I would never say that we're better off without Hernandez, and obviously I'd love to be able to turn back time and see this never have happened.

That said, I can also understand those who feel that ultimately--after the cap hit is dealt with and the experimentation of the new player(s) and/or different scheme is implemented, we may end up being better off without him. That of course, is considering some of his issues with immaturity, his tendency to be a loner, and some issues with mistakes involving teammates.

As I said, we'll likely never be able to replicate the ability to take advantage of mismatches on LB/S on the same level and unfortunately, that hurts other aspects of the offense. To me, that's the biggest loss of all, not the actual production or statistical analysis.

He was a good player with an ever higher ceiling that will never be lived up to, but it also seems that some are placing him on a higher pedestal than he belongs to be on at the same time. They apparently do not remember his injuries, his tendency to sometimes drop passes, or his penalties.

I expect him to be on the field game 1.

Hernandez isn't better than Jimmy Graham, Tony Gonzalez, Rob Gronkowski or Vernon Davis. You could make arguments for Jason Witten, Antonio Gates and Heath Miller (chronically underrated IMO). Hernandez was a nice mismatch option but I agree with supafly, he's more a media creation. What he was was a nice skill compliment to Gronk.

Gronk is the key. Gronk is the key to the universe.

What he was was a nice skill compliment to Gronk.

Gronk is the key. Gronk is the key to the universe.

And finally...we have some good news about Gronk to boot, in regards to his being seen yesterday without his cast or sleeve. I'm going to run with that!

As far as your thoughts on Gronk being key, I don't think there's any doubt, especially looking at the 2 playoff losses where Gronk was hurt/out/ineffective and the offense scored 17 and 13.

I hate reverse chicken littles...:violent:

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back