PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Gronk Making Significant Progress

One bad thing is that Gronk is looking like he lost some muscle mass in these pictures from a party in Buffalo last week.

Rob Gronkowski Re-Emerges from Surgery Recovery at Wild 4th of July BBQ | Bleacher Report

I'm not sure how you can tell that as I think he looks fairly comparable. Its hard to tell with the oversized shirt on. Regardless I don't think its a big deal.

As for the overall news I react to this news the same as I would react to negative reports, lets just wait and see until he hits the field.

Good news. I'm just wondering about his durability long-term, which is hard to fathom when you look at a person who is as massive as Gronk. He looks indestructible. I hope he comes back 100%. Dude's a beast. With Ahern and Welker gone, he may have had an even bigger year if he started off the season completely healthy.

No reason at all to worry about that. The back surgery was minor (JPP had the same surgery as Gronk did, but no one talks about it as being a big deal) and the arm issues are solely because the team was trying to rush him back for the playoffs.

Don't buy the hysteria. Gronk is no more an injury risk than any other NFL player, unless you feel that his back issues at AZ are still meaningful.

It's easier to shed fat than build muscle. The muscle loss wouldn't hurt so much as a receiver, but as a blocker, it would have an effect. I'm not worried, though. This is a very encouraging report and he should be able to gain the muscle mass back by the time the season starts if he's doing light workouts this soon after the surgery.

Agree completely. Yes he won't be the monster blocker early on. And muscle takes longer to develop, but if a guy my age can add a couple pounds in the arms over just a few weeks, a guy like Gronk can take a few months to add 20 LBS or so overall.

Agree completely. Yes he won't be the monster blocker early on. And muscle takes longer to develop, but if a guy my age can add a couple pounds in the arms over just a few weeks, a guy like Gronk can take a few months to add 20 LBS or so overall.

Did you add more muscle mass in your right arm than your left arm? :D

I posted once before that the Media stupids, seeking a sensational headline, have actually distorted what the Physicians have said; and contradicted what someone who had the exact same surgery, twice.

Ostensibly the Media heard that the Physicians say, "It takes 11-12 weeks to be completely healthy". Then they assume you are bedridden for that length of time and ony then, can crawl out of bed and start learning to walk and run and get into football shape in another 6 or 7 weeks.

But what the Physicians said, It does indeed take 11-12 weeks to complete the recovery. The patient is NOT bedridden until then though. But Willie McGinnest said he started athletic training in 5-6 weeks on both of his surgeries, for the same procedure. He was even operated by the same surgeon twice, and was a in full football shape ready to play in 11-12, but he played in weeks 9 on.

Gronk is obviously NOT bedridden, and was out celebrating the Fourth of of July at his family home in Buffalo, already.

He is working out under trainer's guidance already, at the start of Training Camp he wil be weeks into his recovery and ready to get in football shape in TC, just like every other player.

Unless there is a setback, Gronk starts in the first game of the season, and sees spot duty in preseason.

I posted once before that the Media stupids, seeking a sensational headline, have actually distorted what the Physicians have said; and contradicted what someone who had the exact same surgery, twice.

Ostensibly the Media heard that the Physicians say, "It takes 11-12 weeks to be completely healthy". Then they assume you are bedridden for that length of time and ony then, can crawl out of bed and start learning to walk and run and get into football shape in another 6 or 7 weeks.

But what the Physicians said, It does indeed take 11-12 weeks to complete the recovery. The patient is NOT bedridden until then though. But Willie McGinnest said he started athletic training in 5-6 weeks on both of his surgeries, for the same procedure. He was even operated by the same surgeon twice, and was a in full football shape ready to play in 11-12, but he played in weeks 9 on.

Gronk is obviously NOT bedridden, and was out celebrating the Fourth of of July at his family home in Buffalo, already.

He is working out under trainer's guidance already, at the start of Training Camp he wil be weeks into his recovery and ready to get in football shape in TC, just like every other player.

Unless there is a setback, Gronk starts in the first game of the season, and sees spot duty in preseason.

You mean the media reports of Gronk's career ending are overplayed. I mean Florio has already told us the Bengals were smarter to draft Jermaine Gresham although he isn't even a top 10 TE and the Saints were better off getting Jimmy Graham (who is one hell of a TE and probably #2 TE in the league behind Gronk).

I'm not sure how you can tell that as I think he looks fairly comparable. Its hard to tell with the oversized shirt on. Regardless I don't think its a big deal.

As for the overall news I react to this news the same as I would react to negative reports, lets just wait and see until he hits the field.

It is pretty clear that he is thinner than he was last year. His arms aren't as big.

As others point out, he can regain much of that muscle mass in a relatively short amount of time. He will probably have 5-10lbs back by the start of the season since he will likely be able to begin weight training in a few weeks.

But how can this be true? Gronk's back surgery was supposed to make him a quadriplgic. The Patriots are supposed to suck this year.

Gronk will never walk again.

Hernandez is going to prison (Pat's knew it all along and were covering for him, everyone else knew it since before the draft)

Welker is gone.

Lloyd is gone.

Amendola is going to shatter into a million pieces as soon as he touches the field.

Brady is another year older and has been on the decline for years now.

And lets not forget the defense that gives up so many yards per game.

2-14 at best. (I mean that's what i've read online).

I just want him to stay away from those ladies, though. His back looks to be in constant peril!

:D

Amendola is going to shatter into a million pieces as soon as he touches the field.

Surely you exaggerate?

The know-it-all doomsdayers seem pretty sure that Amendola won't even make it that far into the season. They are all just sure that he's going to fall out of his wheelchair and down some subway steps the first day of training camp.

Gronk's back surgery was supposed to make him a quadriplgic.

Gronk will never walk again.

Haha. I literally pictured Amendola breaking. I hope he plays a full season for once. The guy has got talent.

Knowing our urgency at TE from what it was to what if, looks like Gronk's gonna give it his all to get back. Of course what is a realistic time depends on his progress but like to see a positive here.

One bad thing is that Gronk is looking like he lost some muscle mass in these pictures from a party in Buffalo last week.

Rob Gronkowski Re-Emerges from Surgery Recovery at Wild 4th of July BBQ | Bleacher Report

May actually be a good thing, with Ballard to play more of a traditional TE roles maybe we can use a little lighter more agile Gronk in as a joker TE. Might not expose him to as much physical play as well. He's still a match up nightmare no matter where he lines up and in years past being the Y TE has forced him to stay in and block. I say move this kid around and make him the primary target. If he saw 175 targets he'd dominate the stat sheet.

May actually be a good thing, with Ballard to play more of a traditional TE roles maybe we can use a little lighter more agile Gronk in as a joker TE. Might not expose him to as much physical play as well. He's still a match up nightmare no matter where he lines up and in years past being the Y TE has forced him to stay in and block. I say move this kid around and make him the primary target. If he saw 175 targets he'd dominate the stat sheet.

His stats would improve, but I'm not sure NE's offense would. Ahern may have offered great value as a moveable chess piece, but Gronk being a dual run/pass threat was a huge part of his value. Being so blatant about his role would diminish his effectiveness, IMO.

His stats would improve, but I'm not sure NE's offense would. Ahern may have offered great value as a moveable chess piece, but Gronk being a dual run/pass threat was a huge part of his value. Being so blatant about his role would diminish his effectiveness, IMO.

Very interesting point. You could be right.

For what it's worth--It'd be great to see you hang around the forum as opposed to the ESPN boards. You have a lot of insight.

You provide the other side of the argument, but I think that I'd rather see the offense take advantage of the NFL's best pure blocking TE. It will definitely be needed in the run game, as we'll be committed to continuing to run the ball a high number of times, especially after recent events.

The whole argument of the joker/move TE may be overexaggerated a bit in fan and media minds. I would imagine that Belichick will take full advantage of whatever skillsets that specific TE playing will bring to the table in that particular game.

That may well indeed be in the role of the joker/move TE--should any of the other guys be able to replicate it, even just at 60-65% of what Hernandez did. The TC period and preseason games will be a great time to experiment a bit with different personnel, but the real experimentation may take place in the first few or several games of the regular season.

We'll be losing a nice weapon, but fans also need to keep in mind that the 2 TEs only played in 5/18 games together last season and we still had a top 5 all-time offense.

I know we've talking about it before and you may disagree on some level, but I'd still lean towards believing that we'll be keeping a lot/most of the 2 TE formations and plays--at least on 1st and 2nd downs anyway.

Surely you exaggerate?

The know-it-all doomsdayers seem pretty sure that Amendola won't even make it that far into the season. They are all just sure that he's going to fall out of his wheelchair and down some subway steps the first day of training camp.

Yeah, while we're on the subject, people need to keep in mind that DA started in only 8 games last year and still caught 63 passes. I see absolutely no reason why he can't replicate at least 75% of Welker's production, and that estimate seems to be at least "reasonable" in my mind.

He hasn't had the kind of injuries that tend to plague someone such as lingering hip or hamstring injuries...(cough) Aqib Talib, who hasn't been able to finish any of the last 5 seasons that he's played. I'm much more concerned about someone like him, in terms of being able to stay healthy.

Very good point on regarding his value as a dual threat. I may of overlooked his value on the line. I do believe Ballard offers us the capability to split Gronkowski out more often then in the past so maybe we can find a happy medium even if its just initially while Gronkowski regains some of his strength. A arm and back injury are likely the 2 worst injuries in terms of being able to maintain your muscle mass so I'm sure it will take some time.

I'd also like to say for the record I agree with what SF wrote below, you bring a lot of insight to the board and I'm sorry that we may of got off on the wrong foot. You're obviously a very fair and educated member.

You provide the other side of the argument, but I think that I'd rather see the offense take advantage of the NFL's best pure blocking TE. It will definitely be needed in the run game, as we'll be committed to continuing to run the ball a high number of times, especially after recent events.

The whole argument of the joker/move TE may be overexaggerated a bit in fan and media minds. I would imagine that Belichick will take full advantage of whatever skillsets that specific TE playing will bring to the table in that particular game.

That may well indeed be in the role of the joker/move TE--should any of the other guys be able to replicate it, even just at 60-65% of what Hernandez did. The TC period and preseason games will be a great time to experiment a bit with different personnel, but the real experimentation may take place in the first few or several games of the regular season.

We'll be losing a nice weapon, but fans also need to keep in mind that the 2 TEs only played in 5/18 games together last season and we still had a top 5 all-time offense.

I know we've talking about it before and you may disagree on some level, but I'd still lean towards believing that we'll be keeping a lot/most of the 2 TE formations and plays--at least on 1st and 2nd downs anyway.

I actually agree with you in terms of the use of 2 TE, upon further thought I still see it as an effective scheme. I think the ability to use Gronkowski off the line with Ballard is going to offer something we didn't have in 2011 when the 2 TE alignment was most effective. As you said Gronk and Hernandez playing together was not a common occurrence especially last season.

I actually believe that despite the fact that initially the cap hit and the lack of production will hurt that this team will e better off with out Hernandez contract. I felt he regressed last season along with once again proving he was not durable. He was a nice player but not deserving of his extension, I felt that his deal was more based around potential and the fact they were concerned that Gronkowski deal would cause Hernandez to hold out or become a locker room issue. I think it goes with out saying Gronkowski is a star player and Hernandez was just upper echelon.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back