PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

GRONK and Hernandez: best TE duo so far

Status
Not open for further replies.
The pats never have and never will use TE's effectively in their offense. I know this because mike felger said this right before the season started, and he's always right, just ask him. :rolleyes: :D

Herrnandez and Gronk are virtually perfect TE's to coexist in the same offense and already create some match up problems for teams. What will they be like if they keep developing together and with Brady in a season or two? That is a very scary thought for a lot of teams. I love that!

Did you see who was at the bottom of their list?...our good friend Daniel Graham. Awww...

Wow! Who needs a duo when you have Antonio Gates!? (as much as I hate SD)

It's a little early to tell for sure, but the Pats may have their own Gates in Hernandez.

Yeah i always knew they will rock, from the start... aren't i great?

Gronk >>>>>>>>>>>Hernandez

Real TE >>>>>>>>>>H-back

As good as they've played so far, Brady needs to be looking to them more and looking to Welker + Moss less, at least the numbers say so. Moss and Welker together have 27 receptions and 286 yards off 45 targets (60%)*. Hernandez, Tate and Gronk together have 25 receptions and 365 yards off 30 targets (83%).

I don't wanna turn this thread negative, as I think there's a good chance that Jets game might have been what Brady needed to get him to snap out of "force the ball to Moss and Welker" mode, just think it's worth noting how effection these two have been in comparison to Moss and Welker.

*Faulk had 6 receptions on 11 targets (54%) this year. While we all obviously want him healthy and know what he brings to the table, it might serve as a blessing in disguise as it takes away 1 of the 3 targets Brady has a habit of forcing the ball to, particularly on 3rd down.

*Faulk had 6 receptions on 11 targets (54%) this year. While we all obviously want him healthy and know what he brings to the table, it might serve as a blessing in disguise as it takes away 1 of the 3 targets Brady has a habit of forcing the ball to, particularly on 3rd down.
I don't see it as a possible blessing. When he goes to Faulk it's usually the right pass, and at least 2 of those misses were uncharacteristic wide open drops.

Last edited:
Reiss has a good Q&A with Hernandez.
New England Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston

Almost forgot he would have been a Pats fan growing up:
Favorite NFL team growing up: “The Patriots. I was a Drew Bledsoe fan. The memory I think of the most was when [Tom] Brady took it over from him. I was kind of mad at Brady. Now he’s my quarterback and I love it [laughing].”

Happy to be all football all the time:
What he’s learned about life in the NFL: “I’ve loved it since the day I got here. I wasn’t the biggest fan of school. Coming here, all you do is football. That’s all I like to do – I like to play football. I just do it all day.”

Overall, seems to have a good head for the game.

It seems to me that Hernandez is being used more like a WR than a TE... but it's a nice combo with Gronk being a goal line TE and blocker, Hernandez as a deeper threat in the middle of the field, and Crumpler getting his time on the field as the unsung blocker.

I'd think this is what Belichick has been hoping for from his TEs for a very long time - the previous guys weren't up to the task - though Watson's certainly getting his receptions in Cleveland thus far

It seems to me that Hernandez is being used more like a WR than a TE... but it's a nice combo with Gronk being a goal line TE and blocker, Hernandez as a deeper threat in the middle of the field, and Crumpler getting his time on the field as the unsung blocker.

I'd think this is what Belichick has been hoping for from his TEs for a very long time - the previous guys weren't up to the task - though Watson's certainly getting his receptions in Cleveland thus far

I have to agree! The TEs compliment each other :)

... The TEs compliment each other :)

You mean like this?:

"That sure was a terrific catch and run in the open field, Aaron."

"Why thank you Rob. And that TD of yours was downright beastly."

(In unison): "And Alge, you sure are teaching us some things and your run blocking is stupendous."

"Why thanks guys! You both definitely have unlimited upsides."

:)

Last edited:
You mean like this?:

(In unison): "And Alge, well buy you dinner tonight."

Fixed it for you.

You mean like this?:

(In unison): "And Alge, you sure are teaching us some things and your run blocking is stupendous."

Exactly like that! All best friends ;)

The Pats need to keep throwing to Hernandez until teams start respecting him. This will allow Moss and Welker to get more open looks.

Oh yeah...and Hernandez is quickly becoming my favorite player on the Pats.

Gronkowski reminds me of Marv Cook in his first full season
Hernandez reminds me of Tony Gonzalez in his early years

I say Gonzalez instead of Coates because I believe Aaron will be better than Coates when all is said and done.

I say Gonzalez instead of Coates because I believe Aaron will be better than Coates when all is said and done.
Aaron is more athletic, but it took 5+ defenders to bring down Coates. But, Aaron does have a good chance of surpassing Coates.

How about Hernandez as a slightly bigger Shannon Sharpe? Sharpe was at 6-2, 225-230; Hernandez is 6-2 245. Both kind of in that receiver/TE hybrid mode.

Maybe some stylistic differences (and more than likely some personality differences!), but wanted to see what people thought of that comparison.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes