PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Gronk alarmism (or not)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fencer

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
I figure we might as well have an official thread for wailings about Gronk's health expectancy. I'll start with a Mike Freeman snippet:

3. Will Rob Gronkowski stay healthy?

It's one of the bigger questions of the season, and the answer is hell no.

Said one NFC scout: "Guys like Rob (Gronkowski), strong guys with a long injury history who constantly take big shots, never stay healthy."

No one knows what will happen when it comes to Gronkowski's health, but as the scout said, you play the odds. Few football people I speak to believe he will complete the season.

(You could also insert "Wes Welker" for "Gronkowski" throughout this section.)

Mike Freeman's 10-Point Stance: 10 Vital Questions Heading into the 2014 Season | Bleacher Report

Not surprising : if you put a gun to my head, I'd be forced to go with 'not going to play 16 games' ... even though I'm hoping things work out for Gronk.

Gronk misses 3-5 games and this offense will be fine. Gronk misses 8-10, obviously we know the offense won't be great (it'll be good).

As much as I would like to believe he could put together an 18 game season, that seems somewhat pie in the sky... more realistic is about 12-15 games.

His injuries seems more significant and longer lasting that most... so hopefully the Football Gods are watching over him..

Any team, coach, or fan would be foolish to count on Gronk being there at the end. That said, sure, nobody has a crystal ball. You can pick up Tim Wright on most fantasy leagues. I know, I know, he's a move tight end, Gronk is a move-or-I'll-move-you tight end. Still: in a non-Gronk dependent setup, value will increase. 5 TDs/500 yards in Tampa? I'm thinking that increases in NE as a second-year guy, especially given his quick contribution in the preseason.

But Gronk? Dudes please don't hang your hat on one beast target who will not be there when it counts. Big numbers in the regular season, maybe big ideas about how great this team still is numerically, etc., will be no comfort. I'm all about balance, myself. Use him, but realize you'll need to develop the other potential targets -- and there are many of them, whether TE, receivers, or backs.

I think if we go to the big dance, we probably go Gronkless.

Back injury in college causes his draft stock to fall
A fluke play on an extra point attempt that resulted in a series of issues/complications.
and a hit he couldn't really avoid.

The one with Pollard could probably be somewhat avoided by not trying to eek out every extra yard, but that's partly of why we love Gronk.

Does this mean that he is weak or the cumulative toll of hits somehow makes him weaker. Not sure I buy it and I'm fairly certain Edleman will never stay healthy as he never did it in his Patriot career. Oh wait, he just played a full season without injuries? I think injury history mostly as the same body part being oft en injured and that doesn't seem to be the case.

I think this is as much wishful thinking for people who don't like the Patriots and readying oneself in the event there is no Gronk (if you are a fan). As for injuries, you can't guarantee much and we just have to trust BB/McDaniels to keep the offense moving. Any team (including the Saints) would be better with Gronk.

It's the gambler's fallacy -- trying to find a pattern in random events. For his first few seasons, people remarked on the reckless way Gronk played (somersaulting on his neck) and how it was a miracle he wasn't injured more often. Now he's had a bad run and people assume that it will continue.

Let's separate things. Tedy B seemed to escape injury by being very flexible for a big, strong guy. It's not clear that Gronk will continue to be that as he gets older (he needs to train with Alex Guerrero). Still, there's no reason to think that he'll be struck by lightning again.

Back injury in college causes his draft stock to fall
A fluke play on an extra point attempt that resulted in a series of issues/complications.
and a hit he couldn't really avoid.

The one with Pollard could probably be somewhat avoided by not trying to eek out every extra yard, but that's partly of why we love Gronk.

Does this mean that he is weak or the cumulative toll of hits somehow makes him weaker. Not sure I buy it and I'm fairly certain Edleman will never stay healthy as he never did it in his Patriot career. Oh wait, he just played a full season without injuries? I think injury history mostly as the same body part being oft en injured and that doesn't seem to be the case.

I think this is as much wishful thinking for people who don't like the Patriots and readying oneself in the event there is no Gronk (if you are a fan). As for injuries, you can't guarantee much and we just have to trust BB/McDaniels to keep the offense moving. Any team (including the Saints) would be better with Gronk.
I think the back one cropped up again, so that one has me a bit concerned. Otherwise he's not suffering from anything chronic besides maybe bad luck.

He's been injured the majority of his pro career, so I understand where people are coming from. However I still think the odds are even injury vs healthy.

He could be correct, but knowing Freeman's history of antipathy toward the Patriots, for now I'll chalk this one up to wishful thinking.

He's more than likely correct. You can't take those sorts of hellacious shots throughout the course of an NFL season + playoffs and hope to stay healthy. My guess is that we'll see Gronk either suffer a more nagging injury or a season-ending injury at some point. I hope I'm wrong.

The core of the argument is that Gronk's playing style naturally exposes him to risky hits. Unfortunately, there's merit to that reasoning.
  • He did indeed re-break an arm with a plate in it by somersaulting and landing on it.
  • He does indeed tend to stand tall and be very hard to bring down, leaving him exposed to hits.
  • Even when he's running free after a catch, that tends to happen in parts of the field populated with unpleasantly inclined safeties and linebackers (such as the infamous Mr. Pollard).
  • He does indeed get blocking assignments against other large and strong gentlemen.
I worry.

People forget that Gronk played 42 straight regular season games without missing a game. Other than the big injuries, Gronk is usually one of the more durable guys out there.

BTW, I never liked Mike Freeman. I always found his writing to be pedestrian.

People forget that Gronk played 42 straight regular season games without missing a game. Other than the big injuries, Gronk is usually one of the more durable guys out there.

BTW, I never liked Mike Freeman. I always found his writing to be pedestrian.

Why do people tend to overlook that? until he broke his arm on the PAT, Gronk missed NO TIME IN THE NFL....his only two major injuries are

1. breaking his arm on a PAT and then dr. doom putting him out there too early causing him to re-break it.

2. tearing his ACL from a DB LAUNCHING himself helmet-first at gronks knee.

not sure how both of those things are chronic injuries that are doomed to repeat themselves. more like bad luck. Now, will he have nagging injuries like a hamstring or an ankle? maybe.

Edelman NEVER played a full season until last year.

Why do people keay he was hit by Pollard? I don't recall such a hit. Do you mean TJ Ward??

Why do people tend to overlook that? until he broke his arm on the PAT, Gronk missed NO TIME IN THE NFL....his only two major injuries are

1. breaking his arm on a PAT and then dr. doom putting him out there too early causing him to re-break it.

not sure how both of those things are chronic injuries that are doomed to repeat themselves. more like bad luck. Now, will he have nagging injuries like a hamstring or an ankle? maybe.

And a high ankle sprain which cost us a championship. He was present at that game but not really there.

He injured his ankle in the 2011 AFCCG and was a lame duck after that. If you don't count the postseason (and I don't know why you wouldn't), then you would be correct. But the fact is that Gronk only played one full season prior to injury, and that was his rookie season four years ago. His playing style is very fun to watch but, unfortunately, it's also one that leaves him very open to injury.

Other than the vast multitude of games he has missed due to injury, he is in fact quite durable.

Let's be honest, here. Gronk is injury-prone. Whether that means he will continue to be in the future is not a given - it's as much about luck as it is the way he plays - but I'm not particularly optimistic.

Other than the vast multitude of games he has missed due to injury, he is in fact quite durable.

Let's be honest, here. Gronk is injury-prone. Whether that means he will continue to be in the future is not a given - it's as much about luck as it is the way he plays - but I'm not particularly optimistic.

Gronk's injury prone due to three things. You've touched on two of them...

1. The way he plays ("smash and dash" style).

2. Bad luck.

3. His size and strength.

Unfortunately, due to #3 being correct as well on top of the fact that DB's will draw a flag for hitting high now, we should continue to see Gronk suffer through injuries when you take the other two into account. Hopefully they will be of the more nagging variety going forward.

Most people also said Wilfork would almost certainly start the season on PUP with a good amount even saying they wouldn't be surprised if he never plays again...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back