PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Grogan\'s Grade: AFC Championship

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsFans.com Article

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Former New England Patriots Quarterback Steve Grogan Reviews the AFC Championship match-up: New England vs. San Diego

More...

I thought this was a good explanation;
"They were using special coverages on Moss for most of the day, and on the game-clinching touchdown pass to Wes Welker coming across the middle Moss pulled three guys out of there which allowed Welker to run free into the end zone. When defensive backs are running off like that you could see in several of the runs by Maroney he was starting to one side and cutting back towards the other, and usually he was cutting back to the side Moss had just cleared out. Just having Moss on the field makes defenses do so many other things that it opens up a vulnerable area, and the Patriots have taken advantage of that in these two playoff games. ".

From Steve Grogan

Philp Rivers deserves a lot of credit for playing this game in the cold weather on a bad knee and still being able to move his football team up and down the field like he did. He even got out of the pocket a few times and ran around a little bit, and that was pretty impressive because I know he had to be in a lot of pain. When you’re playing with some pain that can affect your performance and you do a nice job of hanging in there and making plays for your team like he did you really have to give him some credit for doing that. He really showed me something in this game

I would say that of course Grogan has an appreciation of someone who plays that way...that is how Grogan always played. He never gave less than 100% of himself to the game. There were times when he was playing that he did not get the appreciation he deserved.

Funny that he said this was the first game in which he felt it could slip away. The Charger game was one of the few games where I was relaxed and really felt they would win. Usually, I am never relaxed during a game...it can be 54-0 and I am not relaxed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back