PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Grist For The Mill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Off The Grid

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
0% Disrespect for my Fellow Patriots Fanatics who're in various stages of Mourning:

Each one of us must work through our Rage and Sorrow in our own way...

But for me, the best cure for a Super Bowl Hangover is to wake up the next morning and immediately get to work on the next Super Bowl...even if it's only in my own mind. ;)

I CAN Handle the Truth!!

Avoid footage of Super Bowl 46...or Super Bowl 42??

Hell, no.

In fact...There is no game that interests me more than Super Bowl 46.

Why??

Because, in the words of Brother Brandon Spikes: "I never want to feel like this, again."

What Is Our TRUE Objective??

I couldn't care less about going 13-3.

I care only about building a team that wins in the Dead of Winter.

I care only about building a team that should expect to beat teams like the Ravens...and the Giants.

How Do We Make This Happen??

We need to run the #$%&ing ball, gentlemen.

Break it down:

~ We need to develop an O Line that can exert its Will upon any team in the World.

~ We need Running Backs who can consistently exploit that advantage.

~ And we need our leadership to finally remember how critical it is to do so.

That's my take from the Super Bowl...not that I haven't been screaming this for the last 5 years.

Other Issues

I like the direction our Defense is headed in.

And I pray we bring in Impact Players, for the D Line in particular.

OutSide Receivers?? Sounds good to me. Spread the enemy out.

By all means.

The Ultimate Goal

But, above all, I want to feel like we can impose our Will on the enemy...Like we did in 2001, 2003, and especially in 2004, in that beautifull Divisional PlayOffs domination of the Colts, when we slowly, incrementally, and relentlessly drove down the field, 4 or 5 yards at a time, CONSUMED the Clock, rested our Defense, and slowly, incrementally, and relentlessly...KILLED them.

Paradise Lost: When The Patriots Lost Their Way

That was before we became Air Brady in 2007.

Frankly ~ as intensely as I hate to say it ~ we haven't been the same, since.

And yet the wailing that it's "a Passing League" continues. :mad:

Morlocks Versus Eloi ~ A Retrospective

2000 ~ Morlocks (Ravens) win with Ball Control + Sweet, Ugly Defense.
2001 ~ Morlocks (Patriots) win with Ball Control + Sweet, Ugly Defense.
2002 ~ Morlocks (Pirates) win with Ball Control + Sweet, Ugly Defense.
2003 ~ Morlocks (Patriots) win with Ball Control + Sweet, Ugly Defense.

~ The Rules Change, Courtesy of Bill Polian, former King of the Eloi ~

2004 ~ Morlocks (Patriots) win with Ball Control + Sweet, Ugly Defense.
2005 ~ Morlocks (Steelers) win with Ball Control + Sweet, Ugly Defense.
2006 ~ Morlock Bob Sanders gets healthy for 4 consecutive weeks.
2007 ~ Morlocks (Giants) win with Ball Control + Sweet, Ugly Defense.
2008 ~ Morlocks (Steelers) win with Ball Control + Sweet, Ugly Defense.
2009 ~ Eloi (Saints) hire Morlock Greg Williams, discover Defense, and win.
2010 ~ Eloi (Packers) hire Morlock Dom Capers, discover Defense, and win.
2011 ~ Morlocks (Giants) win with Ball Control + Sweet, Ugly Defense.

I don't know about y'all, but I count:

~ 8 Super Bowl Victories by MORLOCKS.
~ 3 Super Bowl Victories by teams that never made it until they learned to SPEAK "Morlock".
~ 0 ~ ZERO ~ Super Bowl Victories by ELOI.

This Year??

The Packers...

The Saints...

And, yes: The Patriots ~ who ran on less than 1/3 of our plays that day ~ went DOWN. :mad:

So much for the "Passing League". :rolleyes:

The Road Back to Valhalla: Paradise ReGained!!

You are what you eat, I guess.

We feasted on Eloi for so freaking long that we BECAME Eloi.

That does not please me.

But it's not too late to get our Morlock back on.

RUN...THE...DAMNED...BALL.

1803311-morlock1_super.jpg

Amen, Brother!

For a while I've been championing the idea of getting a REAL Fullback for this exact reason. I was hoping Vereen would become our main back and that we'd get serious about running, I wish that would happen.

I firmly believe that they lost their way when they let Dan Klecko go.

Wasn't it Bob Kraft who absolutely loved Klecko and his Patriots attitude ?

And to add insult to injury he scored a touchdown against us in the playoffs.

I'm entirely for the lunchbucket brigade, putting the feet back in football.

Unfortunately, as long as Brady puts up fantasy stats, we'll never see the running game where it should be, as 50% of a balanced offense.

And I don't think that Josh McDaniels, the architect of the 50 TD season, believes in it at all.

Let the church say Amen. The Mantra of the Pats this off season should be, DEFENSE, AND RUN THE DAMN BALL!

Last edited:
All Hail Brother Grid..Get away from being Brady centric, anyone player can be shut down. Go back to earlier years when TB was used more as a game manager, opposing Defenses are built around stopping Brady.

Climb into the 'Way Back Machine' and go back to the days of yester year when the Philosophy was Defense first, as opposed to what its become since the '06 AFCCG against the Colts. Yes, if Branch had been on that team we probably would have won. I think we were one catch away from holding on to the game. Manning and the Colts Offense came back and won the game, but the Pats D was sick all week with the flue, and Polian had the temp in the RCA dome jacked up making it worse. Anyways in IMHO you don't change what brought you success over that loss. Defense and ball control. Which is what happened just a couple of months later during the draft. It hasn't worked, the pats may win a lot of regular season games, but when it becomes crunch time TB and the passing offense gets grounded. So Please, PLEASE go back to Defense and ball control.

Let the church say Amen.

The Mantra of the Pats this off season should be, DEFENSE, AND RUN THE DAMN BALL!

All Hail Brother Grid..Get away from being Brady centric, anyone player can be shut down. Go back to earlier years when TB was used more as a game manager, opposing Defenses are built around stopping Brady.

Climb into the 'Way Back Machine' and go back to the days of yester year when the Philosophy was Defense first, as opposed to what its become since the '06 AFCCG against the Colts. Yes, if Branch had been on that team we probably would have won. I think we were one catch away from holding on to the game. Manning and the Colts Offense came back and won the game, but the Pats D was sick all week with the flue, and Polian had the temp in the RCA dome jacked up making it worse. Anyways in IMHO you don't change what brought you success over that loss. Defense and ball control. Which is what happened just a couple of months later during the draft. It hasn't worked, the pats may win a lot of regular season games, but when it becomes crunch time TB and the passing offense gets grounded.

So Please, PLEASE go back to Defense and ball control.

PREACH it, Brothers!! :rocker:

PREACH it, Brothers!! :rocker:
Forgot to add that TB is pushing 35 years old, most athletes prime, or peak years are around 28-29. While i'm not saying he is over the hill, far from it, but that with age and the numbers of hits hes taken over the years he may not throw the deep ball as well as he use to. So i think its time to scale back, start to come full circle, take the pressure off him to win EVERY game, and thats whats it become over the last 6 or so years.

Amen brother Off The Grid. Amen!!
As our soon to be 35 year old HOF QB is getting older we must lighten the load on his aging and all too often ailing shoulders.
This team needs to develop the ability and the WILL to ram the ball down the opponents throat with the ground game.
Unfortunately the biggest obstacle to achieving this necessary adjustment to the offense IS the HOF QB who has the HOF ego and wants to throw the ball on every down.
What they focus in on with free agency and the draft will tell us if there is good shot to win another Super Bowl.
If it's all about getting Tommy more toys for the passing game another championship ain't happenin' any time soon.

I think most fans,including me would love to have a Corey Dillon again and play a Steelers type of Smashmouth offense but I don't think we have a Dillon type ..yet,perhaps the draft.

I think when it comes to Belichick and Mc Daniels there is an old saying,"you can't teach a old dog new tricks"

I think they are burying Brady year after year with the burden to win on his shoulders and there is coming a time VERY SOON when his age catches up and he can't do it anymore.

The time to start preparing for life after Brady and running the ball is going to become a very important issue within the next 2 years.

I firmly believe that they lost their way when they let Dan Klecko go.

Wasn't it Bob Kraft who absolutely loved Klecko and his Patriots attitude ?

And to add insult to injury he scored a touchdown against us in the playoffs.

I'm entirely for the lunchbucket brigade, putting the feet back in football.

Unfortunately, as long as Brady puts up fantasy stats, we'll never see the running game where it should be, as 50% of a balanced offense.

And I don't think that Josh McDaniels, the architect of the 50 TD season, believes in it at all.

An offence doesn’t need to be 50/50 in order to be “balanced”. The point is to maximize one’s effectiveness, obviously the offense becomes less effective if the defense has to defend less rather than more, so you need to keep them honest but that doesn’t mean it’s a good idea to make yourself less effective (season-perspective, not game). The 09 Colts was a VERY pass heavy team and it worked for them, passing was their strength so they might have only needed to run 30% of the time to keep the defense honest, so I don’t think 50/50 split is necessary, just whatever numbers work to give you the best chance of winning.

That said, if we don’t run during the regular season how do we expect to get good at it so that we’ll be effective running in the post-season? Even though we might be able to get 9yds on pass play as opposed to 5yds on a running play, 5yds per play is plenty good enough, and it helps get your team better at running, which you need to do in the playoffs.

Well summed up Brother grid.

The Giants were 32nd in the NFL in rushing yards and yds/carry. In 2010, GB was 24th and 25th respectively.

The 2003 Patriots were 27th in Yds/game and 30th in Yds/carry.

I also think the Patriots have proven over time that you can control the ball and the clock with a pass-first, balanced offense.

I will give you this though: the part where you went through each Superbowl and emphasized the Defense - that was right on the money. That's where this team needs to focus on improving.

The Giants were 32nd in the NFL in rushing yards and yds/carry. In 2010, GB was 24th and 25th respectively.

The 2003 Patriots were 27th in Yds/game and 30th in Yds/carry.

I also think the Patriots have proven over time that you can control the ball and the clock with a pass-first, balanced offense.

I will give you this though: the part where you went through each Superbowl and emphasized the Defense - that was right on the money. That's where this team needs to focus on improving.

Running isn't as important as it used to be, at least in the regular season. Pass Interference calls are much more liberal during weeks 1-16, but that all seems to change in the post-season.

Either way I think the development of Ridley and Vareen will be huge keys to next years' success. But they still need to air it out 25+ times/game.

spot on, grid........

It does all start in the trenches.

Running isn't as important as it used to be, at least in the regular season. Pass Interference calls are much more liberal during weeks 1-16, but that all seems to change in the post-season.

Either way I think the development of Ridley and Vareen will be huge keys to next years' success. But they still need to air it out 25+ times/game.

:rocker:

The post-season will be colder and likely windier, making passing more difficult, and there's also a decent chance our QB will be a bit banged up, making the release valve of a running game even more important.

That said, it's ALWAYS important to have the ability to control the clock.

1.) Goodbye, BJGE

2.) Sign Mario, WR, S, draft all defense

3.) ??

4.) Profit

We all want a great Defense. We all want a more effective run game...but guys, look at how we lost the super bowl:

(1) 3 fumbles fell to the ground. The Giants were on offense the next play on each of the 3 fumbles

(2) our Best offensive player (not including Brady) was worthless in the game. To top it off, an inferior Linebacker was guarding him 1 on 1 in the endzone on a play that would have essentially ended the game and not only did Gronk not catch it, not only did he not bat it down, but the **** LB intercepted it. That would not have happened if Gronk were healthy

(3) Tom Brady overthrew Wes Welker on another play that would have essentially ended the game. While Wes should have caught the ball, no doubt about it-he had 2 hands on the ball with his eyes two inches away, but it was a poor pass. Im assuming TB lobbed it in their to avoid another bat down by the Giants DL, but it was a poor pass.

(4) Another average giants player makes a miraculous catch, while our "star" drops the ball.

We should have won the super bowl. we dont have to go crazy overhauling our team. I think our system works and works damn well. Brady hasnt played particularly great in the playoffs lately, thats all

Yes, tweaks are good, and necessary.

(1) Bring Wes back. Hopefully it would be somewhat cap favorable to us.

(2) DONT DRAFT a DB or WR. Not because we dont need these, but simply because I (and I am sure all of you) know that we are incapable of drafting these 2 positions. I cannot take another Chad Jackson, Bethel Johnson, Terrence Wheatley, Jonathan Wilhite, Darius Butler, Taylor Price, Brandon Tate.

(3) Acquire Veteran DB and WR via Free Agency or Trade. We dont need Mike Wallace, we dont need DeSean Jackson. We dont need Charles Woodson or Champ Bailey. We need Quality Players who are smart and capable. Id rather sign 2 $5M players than 1 $10M player. For the WR position, a more vertical threat would be great. A James Jones type (someone with Vertical Skills but does not necessitate the hugh $$$)-too bad he signed with the Packers At CB, I am sure there are decent players out there.

(4) Draft What we are good at drafting. I think, we have been very good drafting OL and DL. I'm not sure how much help we need on the OL, but top end talent at C would be great, at least to somehow slow down teams capable of generating the inside pass rush against us, TB's weakness. The DL can use some help obviously. The top DL usually go early to mid first round, but maybe we can snag a diamond in the rough. Last year was probably the best year to get a good quality DL in the late first round...too bad.

Thats my plan....if that doesnt happen how about

Acquiring Osi Umenyiora and Mario Williams.

Imagine Osi-Wilfork-Deaderick-Mario as our DL. It's nice to dream sometimes though, right

(3) Tom Brady overthrew Wes Welker on another play that would have essentially ended the game. While Wes should have caught the ball, no doubt about it-he had 2 hands on the ball with his eyes two inches away, but it was a poor pass. Im assuming TB lobbed it in their to avoid another bat down by the Giants DL, but it was a poor pass.

That pass was also thrown AFTER TFB was taken down by Tuck and landed on his bad shoulder. When the shoulder is injured like that one CANNOT throw normally, it's not a matter of toughness, the muscle tension in that area is simply out of whack and will result in the ball going to a different spot.

Mankins has been OWNED by those guys before, and Waters is rather long in the tooth. This has me wanting DeCastro in round 1 and Senio Kelemete in round 4.

0% Disrespect for my Fellow Patriots Fanatics who're in various stages of Mourning:

Each one of us must work through our Rage and Sorrow in our own way...

But for me, the best cure for a Super Bowl Hangover is to wake up the next morning and immediately get to work on the next Super Bowl...even if it's only in my own mind. ;)

I CAN Handle the Truth!!

Avoid footage of Super Bowl 46...or Super Bowl 42??

Hell, no.

In fact...There is no game that interests me more than Super Bowl 46.

Why??

Because, in the words of Brother Brandon Spikes: "I never want to feel like this, again."

What Is Our TRUE Objective??

I couldn't care less about going 13-3.

I care only about building a team that wins in the Dead of Winter.

I care only about building a team that should expect to beat teams like the Ravens...and the Giants.

How Do We Make This Happen??

We need to run the #$%&ing ball, gentlemen.

Break it down:

~ We need to develop an O Line that can exert its Will upon any team in the World.

~ We need Running Backs who can consistently exploit that advantage.

~ And we need our leadership to finally remember how critical it is to do so.

That's my take from the Super Bowl...not that I haven't been screaming this for the last 5 years.

Other Issues

I like the direction our Defense is headed in.

And I pray we bring in Impact Players, for the D Line in particular.

OutSide Receivers?? Sounds good to me. Spread the enemy out.

By all means.

The Ultimate Goal

But, above all, I want to feel like we can impose our Will on the enemy...Like we did in 2001, 2003, and especially in 2004, in that beautifull Divisional PlayOffs domination of the Colts, when we slowly, incrementally, and relentlessly drove down the field, 4 or 5 yards at a time, CONSUMED the Clock, rested our Defense, and slowly, incrementally, and relentlessly...KILLED them.

That was before we became Air Brady in 2007.

Frankly ~ as intensely as I hate to say it ~ we haven't been the same, since.

And yet the wailing that it's "a Passing League" continues. :mad:

Morlocks Versus Eloi ~ A Retrospective

2000 ~ Morlocks (Ravens) win with Ball Control + Sweet, Ugly Defense.
2001 ~ Morlocks (Patriots) win with Ball Control + Sweet, Ugly Defense.
2002 ~ Morlocks (Pirates) win with Ball Control + Sweet, Ugly Defense.
2003 ~ Morlocks (Patriots) win with Ball Control + Sweet, Ugly Defense.

~ The Rules Change, Courtesy of Bill Polian, former King of the Eloi ~

2004 ~ Morlocks (Patriots) win with Ball Control + Sweet, Ugly Defense.
2005 ~ Morlocks (Steelers) win with Ball Control + Sweet, Ugly Defense.
2006 ~ Morlock Bob Sanders gets healthy for 4 consecutive weeks.
2007 ~ Morlocks (Giants) win with Ball Control + Sweet, Ugly Defense.
2008 ~ Morlocks (Steelers) win with Ball Control + Sweet, Ugly Defense.
2009 ~ Eloi (Saints) hire Morlock Greg Williams, discover Defense, and win.
2010 ~ Eloi (Packers) hire Morlock Dom Capers, discover Defense, and win.
2011 ~ Morlocks (Giants) win with Ball Control + Sweet, Ugly Defense.

I don't know about y'all, but I count:

~ 8 Super Bowl Victories by MORLOCKS.
~ 3 Super Bowl Victories by teams that never made it until they learned to SPEAK "Morlock".
~ 0 ~ ZERO ~ Super Bowl Victories by ELOI.

This Year??

The Packers...

The Saints...

And, yes: The Patriots ~ who ran on less than 1/3 of our plays that day ~ went DOWN. :mad:

So much for the "Passing League". :rolleyes:

The Road Back to Valhalla: Paradise ReGained!!

You are what you eat, I guess.

We feasted on Eloi for so freaking long that we BECAME Eloi.

That does not please me.

But it's not too late to get our Morlock back on.

RUN...THE...DAMNED...BALL.

1803311-morlock1_super.jpg

The last three teams to win the SB--Giants, Packers, Saints--were all, indisputably, passing teams. So were the teams that they beat, for that matter.

Last edited:
The last three teams to win the SB--Giants, Packers, Saints--were all, indisputably, passing teams.

And they all had QBs younger than Brady and had several playmakers and leaders on defense (Sharper,Matthews,Woodson,Osi,Tuck ect) to help with those championships.

Brady will be 35 and there are no consistent playmakers on this defense.....Defensive changes and a move to more run is what ingredients are needed in 2012 to get that extra step on competitors.

We need a playmaker on defense...somewhere,somehow.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey