PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Griffin, Nelson or Merriweather?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes. IMHO, he's one of the few true difference makers available in this draft. However, I don't think he makes it past #14...

That's what I think too....thanks

What about Willis; is he worth trading up for?

Yes. IMHO, he's one of the few true difference makers available in this draft. However, I don't think he makes it past #14...

That's what I think too....thanks

What about Willis; is he worth trading up for?

Nelson - no

Willis - yes

Nelson is not better than Meriweather..both are playmakers but Meriweather is a better leader and smarter player

dont bring up the issues..i discussed them already

Nelson does not = Reed

Meriweather = Reed

quote me...Meriweather > Nelson in NFL production

Nelson is not better than Meriweather..both are playmakers but Meriweather is a better leader and smarter player
As evidenced by the fact that Merriweather led his team to a 7-6 record in the ACC, and Nelson led his team to a National Championship?

There are legitimate knocks against Nelson - the biggest being that he's a risk-taker who will gamble to make big plays. But to say that he's not a leader or that he's not a smart, instictive player? I don't see that.

Nelson does not = Reed

Meriweather = Reed

quote me...Meriweather > Nelson in NFL production
I don't think either is Ed Reed. They're very similar in terms of attributes, but I think Nelson's probably the bigger hitter, I think he's got better hands, and I think he's a terrific special teams player. That would give him the edge over Merriweather in my book.

Here's the thing about Meriweather's lousy combine scores. Yes, he may show more athleticism on the field than he did in workouts. Yes, combine numbers may reflect combine-specific preparation more than anything. But Meriweather was a guy who needed to wow the scouts. Showing up unprepared for the combine is a black mark in itself -- it's your first big shot to show that you're dedicated and disciplined.

As evidenced by the fact that Merriweather led his team to a 7-6 record in the ACC, and Nelson led his team to a National Championship?

There are legitimate knocks against Nelson - the biggest being that he's a risk-taker who will gamble to make big plays. But to say that he's not a leader or that he's not a smart, instictive player? I don't see that.

I don't think either is Ed Reed. They're very similar in terms of attributes, but I think Nelson's probably the bigger hitter, I think he's got better hands, and I think he's a terrific special teams player. That would give him the edge over Merriweather in my book.

no..Nelson is not the bigger hitter. I dont think i've seen Nelson hit anyone but a WR really hard.. you cant say Meriweather led Miami to a 7-6 mark while Nelson won championship..thats crap. i guess Grossman is a better QB than Brady and Brees b/c he led his team to the SB :\

i say hes not smart because academically..hes struggled and thats why he didnt stay another yr

Meriweather is a good ST player aswell

im not hating on nelson..i just dont think hes worth moving up for and giving up a lot because

1. Hes had 1 good college year(Meriweather started since Sophomore year, 7 games i think, and he made impact right away into his senior year)

2. Meriweather is proven playing CB and Safety..Nelson has speculation he can move to CB but Meriweather actually did it for a few games last yr b/c injuries

3. Meriweather's game speed > Nelson

4. Both are playmakers..id say Nelson is a slightly better ball hawk but both are equal hitters.

5. Meriweather is the GUY in Miami's defense along with Beason. Hes a smart player and hard worker..CLEARLY the LEADER and it was evident in senior bowl..he will raise his voice and get his team going and he will call the shots and correct people like Harrison does

Here's the thing about Meriweather's lousy combine scores. Yes, he may show more athleticism on the field than he did in workouts. Yes, combine numbers may reflect combine-specific preparation more than anything. But Meriweather was a guy who needed to wow the scouts. Showing up unprepared for the combine is a black mark in itself -- it's your first big shot to show that you're dedicated and disciplined.

how did Meriweather have a bad combine?

40 YARD

Meriweather - 4.47
Nelson - 4.48
the rest Nelson didnt really do so cant compare

Last edited:
how did Meriweather have a bad combine?

40 YARD

Meriweather - 4.47
Nelson - 4.48
the rest Nelson didnt really do so cant compare

It's not about the 40 time...I had posted about it earlier in this thread, here's the snippet:

Here are his numbers, with some of my favorite less-heralded safety prospects for comparison. (A number in parentheses means the player didn't break the top 10.)

...............Meriweather..Gattis..Wendling..Piscitelli
4O.............4.47.........>4.46...4.48......4.47
Shuttle........4.33.........4.27....4.16......3.90
Cone...........7.06.........6.72....6.96......6.84
Vertical.......(<36)........(<35)...38.5......(<36)
Broad.Jump.....(<10-0)......10-1....10-9......10-2
Bench..........11...........22......22........19.

Numbers like like a 4.33 shuttle and 11 reps are seriously weak and do NOT point toward the first round.

It's not about the 40 time...I had posted about it earlier in this thread, here's the snippet:

Here are his numbers, with some of my favorite less-heralded safety prospects for comparison. (A number in parentheses means the player didn't break the top 10.)

...............Meriweather..Gattis..Wendling..Piscitelli
4O.............4.47.........>4.46...4.48......4.47
Shuttle........4.33.........4.27....4.16......3.90
Cone...........7.06.........6.72....6.96......6.84
Vertical.......(<36)........(<35)...38.5......(<36)
Broad.Jump.....(<10-0)......10-1....10-9......10-2
Bench..........11...........22......22........19.

Numbers like like a 4.33 shuttle and 11 reps are seriously weak and do NOT point toward the first round.

k. we'll see his pro day today. and i didnt say "he should be picked higher than Nelson"

im saying hes a better player. Anquan Boldin didnt have a great 40 and he went round 2 i think and look where he is now

Last edited:
None of the above. Especially in the first round.

I think Nelson will be off the board with the Dallas pick so I don't think we will be worrying about that anyway. If I had to pick between the 3 it would be Nelson. If I had to pick between Griffin and Merriweather I'd be kind of torn. Merriweather clearly has the upside but he has a well established history he has earned. Griffin seems to be more disciplined and headstrong.

FWIW, word out of Gainesville on Reggie Nelson's individual workout today:

Nelson ran the 40 once in a time of 4.35 seconds. He had a 35-inch vertical jump, a 10-foot-6 long jump, ran 4.15 in the short shuttle and 6.70 in the three-cone drill. Nelson looked very good in the drills and may well have improved his stock.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/analysis/individual_workouts#florida

yeah , but who knows maybe he'll slip. i can hope.

i think the FO has more faith in sanders and wilson than one would think...

Forget Nelson, look at Carriker and Moore running in the 4.7s! One of them is the next McGinest!

I just read over at scout.com that BB and Pioli were VERY impressed with Nelson at his pro day today. Apparently, he had a VERY good work out. Almost "FLAWLESS." The article says that BB and Pioli were so impressed that they will stay in Florida to work him out one on one tomorrow

http://story.scout.com/a.z?s=121&p=2&c=624869

This will be something to watch on draft day.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back