PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Griffin, Nelson or Merriweather?

Status
Not open for further replies.
See, that's the problem. Why would we even want to overlook his character? Pats first round picks are unlikely to have any character concerns (no matter how slight). If we want to take a chance on someone, reserve day two for those risky prospects.

For me at least, I prefer to remain true to the well-documented definition of a BB-type player -- especially in round one. And considering the quality depth at the Safety position in this draft, let's not act so desparate in wanting someone who's made news at the Senior Bowl, when other prospects have consistently impressed since high school while having zero character concerns throughout.

Oh, I completely agree. When you're talking about a 1st-round pick, that's somebody you feel confident you want on your team for the next 5 years. I'd rather "reach" for a Mankins (or David Harris, say) than gamble on a guy who makes me nervous.

I was just surprised by Meriweather's numbers, since the common wisdom pre-combine was that his exceptional athleticism was tempting scouts to look the other way on character. Then he showed up with the quickness of an LB (barely) and the strength of a punter. Crazy.

McCauley you might be able to get in the 3rd round. He has top 15/ top 20 athletesism, but after a strong Junior year, he got crushed this year. In the Senior Bowl he looked like he had lost all confidence. I could see him being converted to safety somewhere down the line.

I thought he performed very well in the Senior bowl. I hope the Pats can draft him, I'm high on him.

McCauley you might be able to get in the 3rd round. He has top 15/ top 20 athletesism, but after a strong Junior year, he got crushed this year. In the Senior Bowl he looked like he had lost all confidence. I could see him being converted to safety somewhere down the line.
Let's take a deep breath and reconsider McCauley for a moment.
- Athletic, check.
- Physical, not his senior year, he avoided contact.
- Aggressive, again, not in his senior year.
- Smart, check.
- Mental, big thumbs down! Assume the best case scenerio that dribbled from the mouth of Deion Sanders during the broadcast of NFL Total Access Ignores-the-Combine, to paraphrase; 'someone got into the kids head and advised him not to get hurt.' There's the issue, "someone got into this kid's head!" Think about Patriots' players, with all the mind games happening on the field, they rarely get caught out.

Perhaps the Pats' background investigation will find McCauley has legitimate worries of the kind that take the very best off their game. For myself, since I can't do the same level of research and get those details, I wouldn't touch the kid, he has an apparent mental toughness issue. It's too bad, but I'm looking elsewhere.

Something that I don't understand about Mike Griffin is that everybody is talking he's not good enough at tackling, but the fact is that he recorded more than 120 tackles on each one of his last two seasons with the Longhorns. A whole lot more than Nelson, Meriweather or any other safety in this draft.

Let's take a deep breath and reconsider McCauley for a moment.
- Athletic, check.
- Physical, not his senior year, he avoided contact.
- Aggressive, again, not in his senior year.
- Smart, check.
- Mental, big thumbs down! Assume the best case scenerio that dribbled from the mouth of Deion Sanders during the broadcast of NFL Total Access Ignores-the-Combine, to paraphrase; 'someone got into the kids head and advised him not to get hurt.' There's the issue, "someone got into this kid's head!" Think about Patriots' players, with all the mind games happening on the field, they rarely get caught out.

Perhaps the Pats' background investigation will find McCauley has legitimate worries of the kind that take the very best off their game. For myself, since I can't do the same level of research and get those details, I wouldn't touch the kid, he has an apparent mental toughness issue. It's too bad, but I'm looking elsewhere.

I'm with you. It's not like he never produced in college and lit it up in the 40. He use to be productive and had an awful senior year. I think the Pats need to look at him.

I would pass on Meriweather. He has too much of the "U" attitude and everything that goes with it.

do u even know what "U" attitude is? Do you even know who Meriweather is? Have you ever watched or heard about Meriweather before that 1 incident?

He stomped on a guy when a fight broke out..he admit his mistake and said he used bad judgement . And only other time he did anything bad was fire a gun back from Cooper's house when someone pulled a drive by..he shot back after Willie got hit

Other than that? The gun shooting was self defense..nothing ever came from that. The stomping was 1 incident. If you watch and listen to Meriweather, you knows he got his head on right. Hes a leader, a smart player, big hitter, good in coverage..maybe a little undersized but hes a playmaker.Hes got ball skills of Ed Reed and the tackling of Sean Taylor.

Nelson i like as well..sort of a similar player but questions about his smarts..picking up a playbook..hasnt been a good student academically.

Griffin..cant tlel you much besides that he hits hard, plays ST great and has good speed..not really a playmaker like theo ther 2 guys

do u even know what "U" attitude is? Do you even know who Meriweather is? Have you ever watched or heard about Meriweather before that 1 incident?

He stomped on a guy when a fight broke out..he admit his mistake and said he used bad judgement . And only other time he did anything bad was fire a gun back from Cooper's house when someone pulled a drive by..he shot back after Willie got hit

Other than that? The gun shooting was self defense..nothing ever came from that. The stomping was 1 incident. If you watch and listen to Meriweather, you knows he got his head on right. Hes a leader, a smart player, big hitter, good in coverage..maybe a little undersized but hes a playmaker.Hes got ball skills of Ed Reed and the tackling of Sean Taylor.

Nelson i like as well..sort of a similar player but questions about his smarts..picking up a playbook..hasnt been a good student academically.

Griffin..cant tlel you much besides that he hits hard, plays ST great and has good speed..not really a playmaker like theo ther 2 guys

Like I said in a different thread, Merriweather was the only player who wrote a letter apologizing for the UM-FIU brawl. He is one of my favorite players in the draft and would have no problem using a 1st on him. His combine wasn't great, but 4.47 is still fast for a Safety and the dude can flat out play.

Like I said in a different thread, Merriweather was the only player who wrote a letter apologizing for the UM-FIU brawl. He is one of my favorite players in the draft and would have no problem using a 1st on him. His combine wasn't great, but 4.47 is still fast for a Safety and the dude can flat out play.

I could attempt to shoot the president with a high-powered rifle. I am then arrested when a FOX News Camera happens to be pointed at me at the time. I could then apologize for my actions. Consider:

1) Am I really sorry because it was wrong, or am I sorry because I've jeopardized my future well-being by being caught on camera?

2) Does apologizing make the attempted shooting O.K.?

I really like Wendling from what I've read. It's curious that no one is talking about him.

I really like Wendling from what I've read. It's curious that no one is talking about him.

Scroll down the draft forum and you will find a thread devoted to him.

Scroll down the draft forum and you will find a thread devoted to him.

He's shown up in a few threads. I just would have thought that he wouldn't be so under the radar. Is it the conference or is it him?

I could attempt to shoot the president with a high-powered rifle. I am then arrested when a FOX News Camera happens to be pointed at me at the time. I could then apologize for my actions. Consider:

1) Am I really sorry because it was wrong, or am I sorry because I've jeopardized my future well-being by being caught on camera?

Yeah, because those two things are comparable. Come on dude, lets not get rediculous here.

Yeah, because those two things are comparable. Come on dude, lets not get rediculous here.

All I'm saying is why did he apologize?

1) Because he thought it might help his draft standing? (75%)
2) Because he got caught? (24%)
3) Because he genuinely felt sorry, that it was out of character and he got caught up in the moment? (1% give or take 1%)

I don't think an apology smooths things over one bit.

All I'm saying is why did he apologize?

1) Because he thought it might help his draft standing? (75%)
2) Because he got caught? (24%)
3) Because he genuinely felt sorry, that it was out of character and he got caught up in the moment? (1% give or take 1%)

I don't think an apology smooths things over one bit.
True remorse is always nice, if there is an effort to prevent reoccurances. The trouble is identifying true remorse, as opposed to expedient action - reportedly battered women who live in abusive relationships hear "I'm sorry, it won't happen again" quite frequently, just before they get knocked out. If he passes BB/SP's background investigation he's welcome with high hopes, until then, he's a high risk prospect.

any threat to president is automatic jail time and so much trouble..

in Florida..you can carry a gun and you can fire if you are fired upon

apologizing doesnt make things okay but it at least acknowledges your mistake. its not like Meriweather has had trouble before..the brawl incident is what it is..your saying EVERY single person who took a swing or anything on the field is a thug and full of ****? No..i gurantee at least half those guys are smart and good kids who got caught in the heat of the moment

Meriweather said he was goign to pull the guys off his teammates but made a wrong decision when he attacked

This is easy,i choose Nelson.I'm a gator and i watched him every saturdays,he is an awesome SS and he can play like FS too...I'd choose him ;)

Last edited:
A safety who hit an opponent too hard after the whistle?

Oh no! We can't have anybody like THAT around here!! :eek::eek:

Seriously, I don't know enough to have an opinion. :)

I'm biased, but...
Reggie "The Eraser" Nelson

Easily the best safety I've seen in a Gator uniform in 20 years. I'd be shocked if he wasn't a very good NFL player. When Florida played LSU this year, Landry was the 2nd best safety in the game.

Last edited:
Here in Gainesville I've been watching alot of Nelson, and also seeing plenty of Merriweather. Merriweather is nothing special, not like I thought he would be when he was younger. I thought he was the next shaun taylor type talent. He isn't. He wasn't that good this past year. Not terrible, just nothing that makes you say "he's the best player on the field."

Compare that to Nelson, who makes big play after big play, and is the heart and soul of a great defense. Team MVP of the nation champion. Was considered by many a corner playing out of posistion for the sake of the team, so you know he can cover. Biggest hitter I've seen in awhile. Lets see, great against the run, great in coverage. I like.

And we all know how the Pats feel about Florida players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes