PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Gresh/Zo: Troy Brown likely headed to Cleveland

Status
Not open for further replies.

RhodyPatriot

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Per Gresh and Zo at 790 The Score Troy Brown intends to play next year, the Patriots have told him they're moving on, Troy wants NO part of playing in the AFC east and having to face the Pats twice a year. Romeo Crennel and the Brownies are thought to be the leaders for Troy. Good for Troy!!!! Hope he plays as long as he wants to. The huge retirement party that'll be thrown for him at Gillette can wait until he's all done. :singing:

Re: Troy Brown likely headed to Cleveland

Cool. Another reason why I will continue to root for the Browns so long as they arn't playing the Pats. :rocker:

Troy Browns!

Good for him man, good for him! One of my favorites of all-time, if the Patriots don't want him he has all the right in the world to keep it going.

Oh but also, isn't there any way Troy can still compete for the #4th WR?

Washington/Jackson aren't exactly locks.

Good luck Troy.

He'll do a great job as a WR3 in Cleveland if its true, and I hope it is. He deserves to go out with a bang and I hope that he can really do a number for Romeo.

I'm happy for him, unless of course he catches a game winning TD in a playoff game against the Pats !

I guess I'm happy for him, but I'm very very sad for me. I really don't want to see Troy in another uniform.

i really dont see that happening.

I'd rather see him as a Brown than a Jet.

Things should have ended much, much differently for Troy here. That they didn't I lay squarely at the feet of the HC.

Right now Troy is our 4th-best WR. Why can't there be room for him on this team, until Jackson/Washington/Aiken prove their worthiness?

Am I the only one who thinks Brown is done? We all love the guy but why is he going to play another year? He has accomplished everything he is going to in his great career and I don't want to see him in another uniform.

None of us want to see Troy in another uniform.

But if our own team no longer wants him in our uniform, then I fully support him looking to keep it going.

Again, I still think he can contribute to the team. As I said, I still don't see how Jackson or Washington (0 receptions combined 2007) are locks for the 4th spot.

last year I thought it would be tough to find a spot for him, seeing as we also had Donte Stallworth and Reche Caldwell in the mix, but I think he could definitley compete for a spot this year.

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/articles/2008/03/06/dont_count_out_brown_just_yet/

Don't count out Brown just yet
By Christopher L. Gasper
Globe Staff / March 6, 2008

Troy Brown's playing days may not be over just yet. A source close to the veteran wide receiver said Brown hasn't made a decision about whether he'll try to return for a 16th season, and that an announcement is not expected soon.

Most had assumed Brown, the Patriots' all-time leader with 557 receptions, would quietly retire following a season in which he didn't catch a pass, played in just one game, and wasn't active for the Super Bowl.

"He feels great. He feels he can still play and still contribute," said the source. "Obviously, he would have liked to have played more than that one game he played. I don't think he's decided whether he's playing or not playing. A lot depends on what the Patriots do."

Following knee surgery last offseason, Brown missed all of training camp and was on the reserve/physically unable to perform list for the first 11 games of the season. He was activated from the PUP Nov. 27, but his only action came as a punt returner in a 28-7 victory over Miami Dec. 23, when he returned six for 55 yards. Brown, who turns 37 in July, misjudged a punt in that game and it hit off his facemask for a turnover.

The Patriots already have seven receivers under contract - including C.J. Jones, who spent last season on the practice squad - after officially announcing the re-signing of Jabar Gaffney yesterday.

The source close to Brown indicated it shouldn't be assumed that the choices for Brown, a free agent, are returning to the Patriots or retiring. As hard as it would be to picture Mr. Patriot in another uniform, it could happen if Brown wants to play and the Patriots can't accommodate him.

"If you still have the desire to play and there is not the opportunity to play [in New England], you can't just say, 'I'm going to sit this one out,' " said the source. "This thing only comes around once."

Calls for comment from Brown's agent, Gary Uberstine, were not returned.

Right now Troy is our 4th-best WR. Why can't there be room for him on this team, until Jackson/Washington/Aiken prove their worthiness?

Maybe BB told Troy "you're welcome to come back, and right now I'd place you at #4, but I can't guarantee that you'll still be at #4 at the end of preseason"

Maybe Troy wants to go to a situation where he knows he will be the #3 or #4 receiver.

Maybe Troy doesn't want to spend the entire season on the bench.

No one's at fault here

i really dont see that happening.

Yea, I'm still not convinced. Neither is his agent. Brown would still be a number 4-5 on the Browns, so why not try to earn a 4-5 spot on the Pats again?

Things should have ended much, much differently for Troy here. That they didn't I lay squarely at the feet of the HC.

Belichick said after the 2002 season that he held onto players using his heart not his brain and that he'd never do that again !

I was selfishly hoping that he'd retire as a Pat, but, if they say that they're moving on, then I wish him the best of luck and hope that he gets to kick a lot of ass in Cleveland. One of the all-time great Patriots.

Good luck Troy. A true class act, great attitude, and great competitor.

TB in another uniform is Heresy, but then again, I don't blame him one bit if it happens. Still, it would suck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back