PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Greg Williams Speech before the 49ers game

Status
Not open for further replies.
How do you move past the barbaric nature without reverting to flag football?

By embracing the simple reality that there remains a middle ground...

Alright, I don't get it: Why isn't this front-page news on ESPN right now?? And why only 302 views on youtube? I'm not claiming conspiracy; just wondering how this is being missed in an age where information spreads so quickly.. Is this not a major piece of evidence that even further destroys the Saints' reputation for years to come? To emply an over-used catch-phrase: Where's the outrage??
ESPN, in case you hadn't noticed, gives priority in their "news" to events that they are covering. So, since they are covering the Masters today and tomorrow, that is going to be the top "news" story of the day.

I agree with you to a large extent, cranking on a players ankle while in the pile has nothing to do with a tackle and would therefore be dirty, and I want the league to punish dirty play very harshly.

As far as which players you want to give extra love to if possible, they all know who's nursing an injury and where and they all try to knock out a weak link if possible, it's just that no one is generally foolish enough to talk about it.

Problem is that he even went beyond injuries players had and wanting to exploit them, which is bad but has always been a tactic, to going after ACL's that weren't injured but he wanted them to be. Williams really lost all his bearings and descended into anything goes and that's why he is as screwed as he is. he really has made it almost impossible for even his staunchest defenders to continue defending him, and the release of these tapes is going to make it even worse for Payton and the Saints as they try to appeal.

If this stuff continues to leak out the Saints are going to look worse and worse as time goes on, they would be wise to accept their punishment, apologize profusely, and move on as fast as they can. They should drop their appeals and sign Parcells as fast as they can to change the subject from what took place to the coming season and Parcells return. He is such a large figure that he could change the discussion and get them past this, as long as the tapes etc.. dry up.

caught on audio, that should pretty much end his nfl career for sure

What MoLewisRocks said.

There is a middle ground.

I know the Ray Lewis and Bernard Pollard's of the world don't want to accept it - and the media probably portrays it as a black and white issue.

But it's not hard-nosed football that is ruining people's lives down the road. It's dumb football. Like Greg Williams dumb.

Furthermore, the football helmet has given these players a false sense of security - and rather than protecting them, it becomes a weapon.

Football can still be hard and tough without being completely destructive.

Last edited:
What an idiot... Maybe if he told them to, you know, do their jobs and play good defensive football instead of trying to aim for ACL's they wouldn't have given up 36 points to freaking Alex Smith. As for taking heads off, the hit-stick doesn't even work well in Madden anymore.

It just reminds me why I love the Patriots so much.

What a dirtbag. Serious black eye on the league at large, and crazy to think that the entire organization, pretty much, could know about this and not do something about it.

Our moronic pre season color man weights in...

Randy Cross‏@randycrossFBReply

So the NFL Media Nanny State gets all up in arms about a FB coach espousing violent behavior. You people are clueless about the game.

Retweeted by Ralph Vacchiano

Problem is that he even went beyond injuries players had and wanting to exploit them, which is bad but has always been a tactic, to going after ACL's that weren't injured but he wanted them to be. Williams really lost all his bearings and descended into anything goes and that's why he is as screwed as he is. he really has made it almost impossible for even his staunchest defenders to continue defending him, and the release of these tapes is going to make it even worse for Payton and the Saints as they try to appeal.

If this stuff continues to leak out the Saints are going to look worse and worse as time goes on, they would be wise to accept their punishment, apologize profusely, and move on as fast as they can. They should drop their appeals and sign Parcells as fast as they can to change the subject from what took place to the coming season and Parcells return. He is such a large figure that he could change the discussion and get them past this, as long as the tapes etc.. dry up.

How do you go for the ACL without going for the knee? I think going after the knee is the problem, at that point it's simply a matter of the refs calling it.

From what I learned about Williams is that he never played a lick of football on the field,at least in College and certainly never in the pros.

That could explain why he so adamantly wants to severely injure players without having any experience of what it takes to survive injuries in a long season.

No experience on-field,no compassion.

I, for one, don't want to move past the "barbaric nature". I want to limit the barbarism to actions within acceptable rules.

Did the speech end with reference to getting a snack?

No?

Then it wasn't very inspirational.

i also don't want to move from the barbaric nature

i'm all in favor of making the rules help limit injuries though, and i'm all in favor of hard hits as well when the person isn't trying to purposely injure someone

but in this case with so much proof......you gotta throw the book at them and beat them with it....

90% of what he says is repeated in every pre game speech delivered by a DC. It's the other 10%, the over the top admonitions...

Friggin' self absorbed, arrogant morons - which is why they make the best example and deserve to be made one.

Who Greg Williams apparently is and what he does represents a slap in the face to every competent FO and coaching staff in the league .... Welcome to reality and the business of football in the twenty first century, gentlemen.

Really well said, Mo.

I just listened to that audio clip and it, literally, made me sick in my stomach.

I thought I understood the game but I guess I was and am naive. He's talking about damaging people in a way that will likely affect them for the rest of their lives.

It might not be 100% fair and we might be scapegoating those two, but Payton has to stay out the whole year and Williams has to never coach again. I wouldn't come down as hard on the players, but they will have to pay as well. The more I think about it, Loomis got off easy and I wish they had taken a bigger bite out of the Owner's wallet.

As we who are parents are fond of saying when our kids screw up: "This can become a learning moment."

PS: I'll just say "ditto" on the Spygate comment since I don't want to get the thread off in THAT direction.

From what I learned about Williams is that he never played a lick of football on the field,at least in College and certainly never in the pros.

That could explain why he so adamantly wants to severely injure players without having any experience of what it takes to survive injuries in a long season.

No experience on-field,no compassion.

Good insight! Thanks.

I think the answer to that question is simple.

95% of guys who have played in the NFL have exhibited respect for their teams, their opponents and themselves and have, therefore, figured out how to do just that for almost 100 years.

The Jack Tatums and the Greg Williams of this world are a distinct minority within the game.

The League just has to employ whatever threatening or punitive measures are at its disposal to get the five percent either to "see the light," as hopefully Payton will do, or "get out" as Williams clearly must do.

The changes that are a function, not of malice but of increased medical awareness (as in concussions), are of a different nature, but they too can happen and already are being implemented.

Last edited:
Williams is up a creek.

CBS just lead tonight's telecast with numerous quotes from this.

Can you say banned for life?:eek:

Williams is up a creek.

CBS just lead tonight's telecast with numerous quotes from this.

Can you say banned for life?:eek:

I would be surprised if that didn't happen. That youtube stuff only adds to his troubles. It makes me wonder if more stuff is going to come out. :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes