PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Greg Olsen TE 4.47 40 yd

Status
Not open for further replies.
i think it was after the brawl where he played some CB and yeah it could be coaching..i just didnt see Greg getting many plays designed for him..Wright looked at him like 4 times a game and thats it. a lot of talent was wasted previous years...Leggett..Jenkins..Moore(suspension)

What about Tavares Gooden?

There's no way a freak like that doesn't tear it up... unless there are serious coaching issues (also taking into account other players with freakish athleticism who have not lived up to expectations).

Last edited:
What about Tavares Gooden?

There's no way a freak like that doesn't tear it up... unless there are serious coaching issues (also taking into account other players with freakish athleticism who have not lived up to expectations).

we've lost a lot of our swagger since Cooker..the players hes recruiting are nothing like the past..now we barely get a guy into first round. Sure last year Jennings went 31st and this year Beason and Greg and maybe Meriweather are continuing the tradition but wheres all the talent we used to have? Our program last 2 years has slipped.

At least with Shannon, he knows how Miami Football is supposed to be. Hes bringing a lot of speed and i think we got a good recruiting class this year and should improve and hopefully have players picking Miami again over FSU and Florida

we've lost a lot of our swagger since Cooker..the players hes recruiting are nothing like the past..now we barely get a guy into first round. Sure last year Jennings went 31st and this year Beason and Greg and maybe Meriweather are continuing the tradition but wheres all the talent we used to have? Our program last 2 years has slipped.

At least with Shannon, he knows how Miami Football is supposed to be. Hes bringing a lot of speed and i think we got a good recruiting class this year and should improve and hopefully have players picking Miami again over FSU and Florida

yeah the U isn't producing pro prospects like in years past.

Vilma, Wilfork, Ed Reed, Ray Lewis, Winslow, Sean Taylor, not too mention all the rb's. Recruiting has slipped

yeah the U isn't producing pro prospects like in years past.

Vilma, Wilfork, Ed Reed, Ray Lewis, Winslow, Sean Taylor, not too mention all the rb's. Recruiting has slipped

most of those guys were recruited by Butch around year 2000

How bout Beason?

I'm telling you I think Beason is going to be a stud. He'd be a perfect fit for a cover-2 team, IMO.

he can fit a 3-4 aswell as an inside backer..im really hoping for him

he can fit a 3-4 aswell as an inside backer..im really hoping for him

He's a little light at 236 lbs. I'm interested to see what he runs at the combine because every time I see him on the field he looks insanely fast.

Hey Remix

we agree on something!!!

JK

I would love to see beason on the inside with Bruschi/Vrabel

STRENGTHS
Jon is another one of these small in stature LB’s that is a complete LB and can play more than one position. He shows excellent athletic ability and has good lateral agility to go along with natural instincts and intelligence. Jon shows decent leadership skills through his play on the field and understands situational football. He shows solid speed; however, it’s his burst, quickness and change of direction skills that are the real reasons for his success. He is a good tackler and has no problems meeting and greeting an offensive lineman in the hole and trying to make the tackle. Jon plays the game with character, intelligence and passion and should be able to help the team that drafts him right away.

NEEDS TO IMPROVE
Jon is limited in his size and stature; this will affect where he gets drafted and what system he is best suited for. This will not matter if the right team picks him because he is talented and can play more than one position.

TALENT BOARD ROUND: 2
Jon is smart enough to help a team right away. He is another type of LB that will be more successful as a MLB in a 2-gap, 4-3 defense. He also could be an OLB in a 3-4 defensive system, but his impact position at the next level should be in as a MLB in a 2-gap, 4-3 defense so that he can run free to the play and make the tackle. I’m giving Jon a second round grade because he does not show the finished leadership skills that some of the other LB’s who basically are the same type in this draft. Don’t get me wrong, he has leadership skills. I just think that at the next level, he is going to be more of a follower at first because it might take a year or two before he is confident enough in his own game before he tries to lead others. Maybe I’m being a little nit picky in this area, but a MLB has to get others to listen to him and put other players in the right position to make a play. My sense is that right now, Jon is worried more about what position he is in to make the play. This leadership will come in time the more confidence he has in his personal game, but I do think it drops him to a second round grade. The truth is, if you think he fits your system and you need an LB, then draft him in the first round - it really is semantics sometimes. Players like Jon can drop to the third and fourth rounds very easily and that just means you got yourself a player later in the draft with 1st or 2nd round talent. The politics of the draft –- doesn’t it just drive you nuts sometimes?

He's a little light at 236 lbs. I'm interested to see what he runs at the combine because every time I see him on the field he looks insanely fast.

yeah he said hes going for 4.5 but i think he can get a 4.4 ..as long as he gets under 4.6 hes fine. hes the fastest/most athletic Lb in the draft

forget size for a bit. We were looking heavily @ Vilma, Sims

As part of his annual predraft scouting trip to Florida, Patriots coach Bill Belichick spent "quite a bit of time" with Florida State linebacker Ernie Sims. Belichick came away impressed, but the Lions ended up snatching Sims at No. 9, well before the Patriots picked (21st). Sims enters today's game against the Patriots with a team-high 109 tackles and has several of the qualities the Patriots generally seek. "He's a football guy. Business. Very competitive. Very intense," said Belichick, noting that even though Sims is undersized at 6 feet, 225 pounds, he still could have fit in the middle of a 3-4 defense. "I think football is important to him and he plays like it on the field. Every play he's after you."

yeah he said hes going for 4.5 but i think he can get a 4.4 ..as long as he gets under 4.6 hes fine. hes the fastest/most athletic Lb in the draft

forget size for a bit. We were looking heavily @ Vilma, Sims

That's true, I had forgotten about Vilma. Not really the biggest guy himself.

I'd love for the Pats to draft this guy. Whoever drafts him is getting a steal, IMO.

That's true, I had forgotten about Vilma. Not really the biggest guy himself.

I'd love for the Pats to draft this guy. Whoever drafts him is getting a steal, IMO.

yeah. My top 3 choices at LB

1. Beason
2. Timmons
3. Willis

I read somewhere that WIllis didn't play in a 3/4 anyone know the D he played in?

I would be all over Beason for the Pats. Great Value Pick

I read somewhere that WIllis didn't play in a 3/4 anyone know the D he played in?

I would be all over Beason for the Pats. Great Value Pick

Willis played in a 4-3...as did the rest of them really

Timmons played 3-4 25% of the time at FSU

and Desmond Bishop said he has some experience

ANother GUy I like is Shaw from Penn state.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back