PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Greg Lewis gets to face his former teammates

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmt57

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't know why I hadn't thought of it, but I just realized Greg Lewis gets a chance to play against his old teammates in this first preseason game. I'm thinking Moss, Welker and Galloway won't see a whole lot of snaps so even though there are a lot of receivers on the Pats roster, I'm guessing Lewis will get to be on the field as much as any Pats receiver against the Eagles.

Belichick happy Patriots acquired WR Lewis - AP article in the Lynn Daily Item

Lewis made the first touchdown catch of his career while playing for the Philadelphia Eagles against the Patriots in the Super Bowl in 2005. He had two touchdown catches in a 2007 game against the Pats, nearly derailing their undefeated regular season.

Belichick obtained Lewis from Philadelphia in March for two draft picks.

"Greg has always killed us," Belichick said recently. "Every time we've played him, he's killed us. We haven't been able to cover him very well so that kind of catches your attention."

On Thursday, Lewis will face his former teammates in a preseason game when the Patriots play the Eagles in Philadelphia.

Lewis caught Belichick's eye as a college receiver at Illinois. After Lewis joined the Eagles, Belichick said he had a number of conversations with Philadelphia coach Andy Reid about obtaining him. But Belichick said he thought Reid found it hard to part with Lewis.

"He's a guy that we've had a lot of interest in and I think he's a good fit in our system," Belichick said.

sports06.jpg

Patriots’ Lewis a true funnyman in Foxboro

Apparently Lewis considers himself to be a comedian: Patriots’ Lewis a true funnyman in Foxboro by Jeff Howe of the MetroWest Daily News

The comedic stylings of the Patriots wide receiver always draw the most rave reviews in his own mind, and he’s never too proud to boast about his ability to draw a laugh.

“I’m probably the funniest guy on the team,” said Lewis, who almost never stops wearing his ear-to-ear grin. “Some other people try to be funny, but they need work on their jokes. Randy [Moss] will try to say something. Kevin Faulk will try to be funny. [Jerod] Mayo, he thinks he’s funny.

He tries hard, but it’s not up to my level yet.

arxlxqjxglt1v3vef43f7uiop7gkjm8.jpg

Patriots finally have Lewis covered

Patriots finally have Lewis covered; nemesis receiver is on their side now by Michael Whitmer of the Boston Globe

If actions speak louder than words, the 29-year-old wide receiver should be doing something else besides participating in his first training camp with the Patriots. When Lewis graduated from high school, not one Division 1 school offered him a scholarship. Five years later, no NFL team saw fit to use a draft pick on him.

Yet here he is, catching passes from Tom Brady and putting on the uniform of a team that repeatedly tried to trade for him, finally convincing the Philadelphia Eagles to part with Lewis in March. Lewis has faced rejection. Each time, he’s responded with resolve.

Lewis hoping to turn heads; ex-eagle gives boost at WR

Lewis hoping to turn heads; ex-eagle gives boost at WR by Jennifer Toland of the Worcester Telegram & Gazette

“I’m coming out here just trying to compete and get better at what I do and implement that into the team as a whole,” Lewis said. “Tom is a great quarterback and when he gives you opportunities to make plays, you have to do it. That’s what I’ve been striving to do throughout the practices and hopefully carry it over into game-type situations.”

Lewis knew Brady from their Big Ten days — Lewis at Illinois, Brady at Michigan.

“I know how Big Ten rivalry stuff is and he has that fire,” Lewis said. “I saw it when I played against him (in college) and to see it up close is even better.”

Lewis walked on at Illinois, quit football as a freshman, but returned to the team at the encouragement of his roommates. He finished his career with 103 receptions, 1,456 yards (eighth on the Illini’s all-time list) and 12 touchdowns.

It should be a fun game to watch. I know I'm already counting down the hours. ;)

It should be a fun game to watch. I know I'm already counting down the hours. ;)

Thursday night is great!! Patriots game is on then the 12 am release of Madden 10 :D!!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back