PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Greg Doyle: Belichick is an above average, not great coach who benefits from Brady

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Greg Doyle: Belichick is an above average,not great coach who benefits from Brad

:rofl::rofl:

I don't know why anyone pays attention to any of this nonsense.
I pass crazy people on the street every day who have opinions, too.

Not too mention in this forum..............

Re: Greg Doyle: Belichick is an above average,not great coach who benefits from Brad

I think there's a pretty obvious chicken and egg argument here and it's been made by others.

Basically the argument goes that one of either Brady or Belichick is an all-time great and the one makes the other better.

There's some logic to it.

It's like saying Jerry Rice was the greatest WR of all time and Joe Montana was the greatest QB of all time. It's asinine to suggest that it is impossible that one made the other better.

Honestly if I had to pick I would pick Brady.

Belichick's defenses have undermined his all-time great status. I still think he's a top 5 all-time, but there was a point, probably after the 3rd super bowl, where I thought we might have the greatest HC of all time.

Greg Doyel in 2004: March to Mayhem - NCAA Division I Mens Basketball - CBSSports.com News, Scores, Stats, Schedule and RPI Rankings

Somewhere in the ranks of the 325 Division I schools is a college basketball coach who has done less with more than Connecticut's Jim Calhoun, and if you give us a few months, we'll figure out who that person is. Until then, Calhoun gets a raspberry for being SportsLine.com's anti-coach of the year.

The Huskies' 11-point loss Sunday at Syracuse ought to have dropped Connecticut (24-6) from the list of potential No. 1 seeds in the NCAA Tournament, quite a feat for a team that was the consensus preseason pick for No. 1 in the country. Either the media was dumb in October, or Calhoun has been dumb since.

Which theory do you think we support?

This guy has a record of making so many idiotic statements. No coach has won MORE with LESS than Jim Calhoun. His recruiting was well below the level of the top dogs in college bball, and he won more than all the rest except for Coach K.

So, the last time Doyel called out one of my favorite coaches, he won the championship. Hmmmmmm.

I think there's a pretty obvious chicken and egg argument here and it's been made by others.

Basically the argument goes that one of either Brady or Belichick is an all-time great and the one makes the other better.

There's some logic to it.

It's like saying Jerry Rice was the greatest WR of all time and Joe Montana was the greatest QB of all time. It's asinine to suggest that it is impossible that one made the other better.

Honestly if I had to pick I would pick Brady.

Belichick's defenses have undermined his all-time great status. I still think he's a top 5 all-time, but there was a point, probably after the 3rd super bowl, where I thought we might have the greatest HC of all time.

I think that BB being "just" an above average, not great GM drafting and selecting FA players has hurt his GOAT HC case.

Call me a hater now.

I think that BB being "just" an above average, not great GM drafting and selecting FA players has hurt his GOAT HC case.

Call me a hater now.

Hater.....................

reading something written by Greg Doyle?

Well_Theres_Your_Problem_1337496926.jpg

Re: Greg Doyle: Belichick is an above average, not great coach who benefits from Brad

Doyle may be a douchebag but he is right about Belichick not having loyalty to his players. Imo Belichick is the GOAT but he is most definitely a "cold hearted snake, look into his eyes........." that's what makes him Belichik and that's a part of the reason he is the GOAT. He is not infallible but he is driven to make logical decisions, not emotional ones, and has always known that being the HC requires coaches to deal with all players as simple commodities, and not allow his feelings about them to drive his decision making. Does he make mistakes, absolutely, are they because he likes a player too much, almost never if ever.

Fans can be emotional about player decisions, although i never am, but coaches can't allow their feelings to influence their decisions.

Re: Greg Doyle: Belichick is an above average, not great coach who benefits from Brad

The Harbaughs are really really good and i would take either as Belichick's successor in a heartbeat. I don't like either of them, but then again i would never allow my feelings to dictate my decisions. I'm a "cold hearted snake, look into my eyes.........."

The Harbaughs are really really good and i would take either as Belichick's successor in a heartbeat. I don't like either of them, but then again i would never allow my feelings to dictate my decisions. I'm a "cold hearted snake, look into my eyes.........."

Are you admitting to being a Paula Abdul fan?

Are you admitting to being a Paula Abdul fan?

Nah, i just love to use that line.

Doyle may be a douchebag but he is right about Belichick not having loyalty to his players. Imo Belichick is the GOAT but he is most definitely a "cold hearted snake, look into his eyes........." that's what makes him Belichik and that's a part of the reason he is the GOAT. He is not infallible but he is driven to make logical decisions, not emotional ones, and has always known that being the HC requires coaches to deal with all players as simple commodities, and not allow his feelings about them to drive his decision making. Does he make mistakes, absolutely, are they because he likes a player too much, almost never if ever.

Fans can be emotional about player decisions, although i never am, but coaches can't allow their feelings to influence their decisions.

I thought it was kinda weird that as a CBS Sports guy he would go on WEEI since the other station is owned by CBS, but there is no better place to go with an anti-Belichick rant than on D & C. Felger may trash the Pats for certain things, but he doesn't hate Belichick. Dennis and Callahan seem to really hate the guy.

I thought it was kinda weird that as a CBS Sports guy he would go on WEEI since the other station is owned by CBS, but there is no better place to go with an anti-Belichick rant than on D & C. Felger may trash the Pats for certain things, but he doesn't hate Belichick. Dennis and Callahan seem to really hate the guy.

Dennis and Callahate will never forgive Belichick for refusing to be their weekly interview, and gave Ordway a steady stream of sh.t as a ballwasher and suggested that's the only reason they had him every week. Like Borges they have an agenda against him and engage it every chance they get.

Felger is douchey and he is definitely the contrarian but he doesn't have an agenda, he can't, it would interfere with always being contrary and he would end up having to be contrary with himself.

Who's greg doyel again?

Check the spelling in the title of this thread - it's "Doyel."

Greg Doyel is a college beat writer trying to make it in the big leagues. He cut his teeth at the University of Florida and then at the Charlotte Observer where he covered ACC football and basketball. He wrote an homage to Mike Krzyzewski, a.k.a. The Evil Rat King, that fawned all over Duke basketball so that Krzyzewski would let him skulk around Cameron Indoor Stadium and get scoops from assistant coaches who never left the nest.

Doyel has no business taking a crap on Belichick's head. He's dead wrong about this. Belichick has five Super Bowl rings and 8 Super Bowl appearances. He built a dominant defense in NY with the Giants so that Phil Simms and Jeff Hostettler could get wins, Drew Bledsoe could start, but lose, one with Parcells in charge, and finally five with Brady. Belichick has overseen two complete overhauls of the Patriots roster making it to Super Bowls and AFC Championship games with three different versions of this franchise.

Belichick is the Red Auerbach of his era. Does anyone think Red Auerbach was a hanger-on and won only because of Bill Russell? The quarterback fetish in the article is correct in teams that rise up and are never seen again, but guys like Belichick, Bill Cowher and Tony Dungy built championship caliber teams with more than one group of players and quarterbacks. Was Cowher successful strictly because of Ben Roethlisberger?

I don't fully understand Doyel's intent here. But he better start looking at some rosters to understand Bill Belichick's unmatched success as a coach in the NFL. The first Super Bowl victory was not because of Tom Brady, it was aided by Tom Brady, but had much more to do with the Patriots' defense shutting down the Greatest Show On Turf. the Pats don't even make it to the Super Bowl without the play of the defense, special teams and heroics of Drew Bledsoe.

This guy should stick to writing about college sports.

Almost didn't want to give this guy the site traffic by linking his site or even creating this post, but what the heck. He like many writers is blasting Belichick for letting Welker go (legitimate to do), but he supports his argument by stating that he really isn't all that good and he just benefits from Brady.

The funny thing is that he credits Brady for the Super Bowls and Super Bowl appearances and use Peyton, Brees, Marino, Tarkenton, and Jim Kelly. Yet between all of those QBs, you have two Super Bowl trophies COMBINED and Belichick and Brady have three.

Yes, Belichick benefits from Brady, but Brady benefits from Belichick. Arguably the best head coach/QB combo in NFL history.

BTW, he was on WEEI and said the Harbaughs are great coaches especially Jim. His evidence that Jim is the best coach in the NFL is that everywhere he goes they have success AFTER HE LEAVES because he left his DNA.

Here is the "best: excerpt from the article:

Belichick gets credit, but it's Brady who keeps Patriots winning - NFL - CBSSports.com News, Rumors, Scores, Stats, Fantasy

Never heard of the writer, but, I do know who the best coach in NFL history is...this is straight up heresy.

So i thought threads "that pit on group of fans against another" werent going to be allowed. I guess that doesnt apply to the ones that rip Belichick, only to the ones that defend him.

Say Doyle three times real fast..................enough said.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back