PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Greg Cosell: With Cassel at QB, Pats have below-average offense

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Greg Cosell:With Cassel at QB, Pats have below-average offense

Could hey have started Brady sooner than the Bledsoe injury? I said I wanted to give KO a shot for a half, yet you claim I am fantasizing about the kids skills. Funny how you act as if you know what Beli and co are thinking, you must know him, ha-ha.

I'll type S L O W L Y for you.
OBVIOUSLY, BB feels that KO is not ready as he's NOT playing.
HELLO!!!!

Could hey have started Brady sooner than the Bledsoe injury? I said I wanted to give KO a shot for a half, yet you claim I am fantasizing about the kids skills. Funny how you act as if you know what Beli and co are thinking, you must know him, ha-ha.

Well actually BB wanted to start Brady over Bledsoe before the injury. But the fan who knew more than him and also owned the team, Bob Kraft, wouldn't let him.

I said give the kid a shot for a half. Pretty sure that's not tanking the season.

technically not but you are telling the rest of the team and cassel that we are helpless after 5 games so we will just give gutz and ko and every other qb a tryout to see if it works. iam sure they are seeing enough of KO in practice everyweek to know what he can do in a game.

This thread is a perfect example of a guy who knows his stuff, breaking down the pats issues and ( backing up his statements with film study and examples)...yet, guys like you come in and belittle the man, and make it seem like what he said was inaccurate or obvious. Pretty sure that article was very well written, and much more in depth than anything you would be capable of.

Please stop being a total homer.

I don't see anyone claiming that the article was inaccurate, just obvious--which of course, it is, relatively speaking. You also seem to infer that because of the arguments presented, that KOC would be preferable, and that isn't what the author suggests at all. Two entirely different arguments.

You seem to be constantly looking for fights on the board. Calling everyone a homer is unhelpful.

So, from this article we 'learned':

1.) Brady is one of the best quarterbacks in the NFL

2.) Matt Cassel does not handle pocket pressure as well as Tom Brady

3.) Cassel holds the ball longer than Brady

4.) Cassel doesn't read the field as well as Brady

5.) Logan Mankins got blown up

6.) The Patriots are struggling in the running game

Not exactly discovering the Rosetta Stone here....

"This season, Matt Cassel has only seven completions of 20 or more yards in five games. "

Like he says the tapes don't lie....and the stats don't either....Cassel has been somewhat ok as a "game manager" but he is not a GAME CHANGER.....or a big time QB, or much of a leader...and as of recent, he has thrown more picks..........Let's face it....he is an average at best BACKUP QB......who will NEVER be a top shelf QB.....and will never lead to anything "explosive".....But, BB is going to run him out there for this year no matter WHAT he does.....so get used to it....and expect it.....IF the Defense can hold the other team to less points than our very inefficient, conservative, and shaky offense can score.....we win.....otherwise get ready for the worst season we have seen in awhile.........Got to face the facts.....OL sucks......Defense SHOULD be better....but front guys have played halfa##ed.....LB are aging and slowing down.....and secondary is a work in progress...If you want to face the facts....this team is not a great team right now.......and probably wouldn't be that much better even with Brady in there.....no one to block.....No running game......But, Brady being one of the greatest of all time....always seemed to make something out of nothing.....

PS Upon completion of reading this article, this is dead on accurate on Cassel and his slow processing in trying to make reads and plays.....great (unfortuneatly) article

Last edited:

No running game........

No blocking from the "O" line.....

But, Cassel sucks and we should go with KO???

Help me to understand??

I think what he is breaking down here is the slow processing/reacting ability of Matt Cassel as a QB......He is breaking down his individual performance....as many of you can see, even when Cassel has plenty of time.....He locks on ONE receiver.....when several others are WIDE open and flailing their arms around........I think this guy is dead on with his assessment (via film) of Matt Cassel....

I think what he is breaking down here is the slow processing/reacting ability of Matt Cassel as a QB......He is breaking down his individual performance....as many of you can see, even when Cassel has plenty of time.....He locks on ONE receiver.....when several others are WIDE open and flailing their arms around........I think this guy is dead on with his assessment (via film) of Matt Cassel....

The "locks on ONE receiver" isn't true. There's a difference between making slow reads and locking on one receiver.

IMHO, it all starts in the trenches. Our Offensive Line is TERRIBLE. I am very disappointed in their performance. We all know that Kaczur sucks, and Yates is mediocre, but I expected much better from Mankins, Koppen and Light.

It's soo easy to point the finger at Cassel, but I think that our Offensive Line is a much bigger problem. What exactly did people expect from Cassel? The kid has started 5 games in his entire NFL career. Of course, it's not going to be perfect.

I don't disagree...... it takes time to evolve and begin to recognize the defense, go through progression of reads while feeling pocket pressure and reacting to all of it. The speed of the game is fast and furious and nobody I have ever sen has ever reacted better than Tom Brady. Hopefully, MC is learning on the go and evolving.

But to think certain posters can assess KO or Gutz better than Bill Belichick baffles me. Do they really believe that these guys would be the instant answer? I am mostly reacting (and have been since these same Cassel haters were hatched in August) to these Cassel haters that also seem to really rag on people that support the team, ownership and coaches at the first sign of trouble.

So, from this article we 'learned':
Not exactly discovering the Rosetta Stone here....

Its not about comparing Cassel to Brady; its about comparing Cassel to the rest of the league. There's probably about 45 QBs better then cassel out there; the only problem is none of them knows the Pats system and its not easiily possible to learn mid season.

Brady + rest of offense = greatest season in history
Cassel + rest of offense = below average offense in league this season
Avg Starting QB + rest of offense = top 5 offense in league this season.

Last edited:

Its not about comparing Cassel to Brady; its about comparing Cassel to the rest of the league. There's probably about 45 QBs better then cassel out there; the only problem is none of them knows the Pats system and its not easiily possible to learn mid season.

Totally fallacious conclusion

Last edited:

Its not about comparing Cassel to Brady; its about comparing Cassel to the rest of the league. There's probably about 45 QBs better there cassel out there; the only problem is none of them knows the Pats system and its not easiily possible to learn mid season.

Where do you think these 45 quarterbacks are? I ask this because it's at best a pretty wide open question as to whether there is anything approaching that number in the NFL.

Last edited:

Well, that may be, but, for better or for worse, Belichick decided that the cost/benefit analysis did not justify bringing in another veteran to back up Brady. And, as I've said before: (A) the better the backup, the more $ you need to pay; (B) if he's good enough to be starting somewhere else, and you want him to back up a QB who basically could not lose his starter's job due to his play alone, you have to pay him even more than a team that might give him a chance to start.

Well, that may be, but, for better or for worse, Belichick decided that the cost/benefit analysis did not justify bringing in another veteran to back up Brady. And, as I've said before: (A) the better the backup, the more $ you need to pay; (B) if he's good enough to be starting somewhere else, and you want him to back up a QB who basically could not lose his starter's job due to his play alone, you have to pay him even more than a team that might give him a chance to start.

And it looks like he miscalculated because there don't like a playoff team. There have no dominant part on the team. There have no great running back, punishing defense or a qb who can move the sticks. If there lose against Denver New England will be two games behind the Bills and maybe one game behind the Jets.

There's probably about 45 QBs better then cassel out there; the only problem is none of them knows the Pats system and its not easiily possible to learn mid season.

That is a huge exagerration. The truth is there probably are only about 15 or so quality starting QBs in the NFL - and with the exception of Brady and Manning all those guys have their shortcomings too.

Please stop being a total homer.

Why is everyone a homer? Because we believe BB, and the rest of the staff know more than you about who can lead this team. I've never stated that Cassel is great, but I do think he will get better with experience. If BB, who sees more in practice than either of us, decides to give KO a shot, than I'll trust his judgement. That doesnt mean i'm drinking koolaid, or homer juice, it just means I TRUST, AND HAVE FAITH IN THE COACH!

The reason many are going to argue with you, is because all you have to offer to this is, "kevin is better than Cassel", and so you must know more than our coach. I think not.

Many of us on this board, simply choose to believe that Bill knows whats best for this team. You're not one of them. If Bill suddenly decides to go with KO, you, and briz, and the other twits will be posting for days about how you know everything. :mad:

Oh, I forgot in my previous post,,,,,,I agree with whats said in the article. I do feel it will improve a little though. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back