PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Greg Cosell Mock: Boise St OLB Shea McClellin & LSU DT Michael Brockers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uncle Rico

Pro Bowl Player
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
I've been looking forward to Greg Cosell's mock for a while, and it just came out. Based entirely on his own film study and understanding of teams' needs.

Cosell Talks: The Mock Draft : NFL Films Blog

27. New England: This is where Shea McClellin comes off the board. He was one of my original diamonds in the rough, but now, as we approach the draft, everyone seems to be acknowledging what has always been there on the tape. He showed the ability to get low and bend the edge as a pass rusher. He also had an instinctive feel as an inside rusher for getting skinny, and getting through small cracks. He shed blocks and made plays in the run game. He was a smooth change of direction athlete with excellent balance and body control. My sense is he will get better in the NFL with a chance to be a dynamic edge pass rusher. He’s not as purely explosive as Clay Matthews, but I see some similarities as McClellin matures and develops.

31. New England: This is where Michael Brockers comes off the board. Brockers is a development player with great size, long arms and natural power. When he stayed low and played with leverage he could be dominating. He also flashed quick and violent hands. Are there similarities down the road to Richard Seymour, clearly a better player coming out of college than Brockers? Will Brockers have the explosive strength and leverage to win the battle for the neutral zone? Will he establish a new line of scrimmage? The key for Bill Belichick is how impactful that kind of player is for other defenders. I can see Belichick looking at Brockers and seeing a raw, less refined Seymour; a piece of fresh clay that he can mold.

Oh, and, his film study says Colts should make RGIII the first pick; and, since he's going solely on film and ignoring "character" issues, he has Janoris Jenkins at #5.

Last edited:
re: Greg Cosell Mock: Boise St OLB Shea McClellin & LSU DT Michael Brockers

This sounds as if it's done by Howard Cosell.

I've been looking forward to Greg Cosell's mock for a while, and it just came out. Based entirely on his own film study and understanding of teams' needs.

Cosell Talks: The Mock Draft : NFL Films Blog

Oh, and, his film study says Colts should make RGIII the first pick; and, since he's going solely on film and ignoring "character" issues, he has Janoris Jenkins at #5.

I would love for the draft to unfold this way for the pats, Brockers @ 31 is awesome value(even though it won't happen) and if BB doesn't see 1st round value in McClellin's versatility and prototypical size than he will never take an OLB with a 1st round pick.

That bit about Jenkins just makes me pray that this guy somehow falls to the 2nd round. How could BB pass up on his favorite word..... VALUE. It'll be Vince Wilfork 2.0

Janoris Jenkins has no business going outside of the top 10-15 with talent like that. Hopefully losing millions when you have multiple children to provide for is all the wake-up call he needs.

If we passed on Clay Matthews what makes him think we're going to take a "less explosive Clay Matthews"?

He's about as respected as they come.

Say's Barron is one of the best 5-7 players in the draft. So i agree he's one of the most respected. :D

If we passed on Clay Matthews what makes him think we're going to take a "less explosive Clay Matthews"?

Maybe because he's not a one trick pony.

Shea McClellin can actually play the run right out of the box. He also weighs about 20 more pounds than Matthews did coming out of USC, which makes him a better schematic fit as a 3 down backer. Clay Matthews weighing 240+ would've been a 1-2 down OLB at that point and BB just won't sign on for that in the 1st.

We've already seen that he doesn't value 1-trick pony pass rushers as much as the rest of us, myself included.

This is actually a pretty special mock. Its refreshing to see someone use only tape for their judgements. This guy has masses of experience, I think I'll keep a note of this and see how these picks pan out in the nfl....

I like that Cosell takes a closer look at things - but I feel that, like PFF but to a much, much lesser degree, as those guys are straight-up hacks - I sometimes question whether the analysis that results of the exercise.

That said, I agree Janoris Jenkins is a beast on tape.

I'd be pretty f-ing happy if we ended up with those two without having to trade. I also fully support a trade up for Barron. BB has consistently said that FS/SS doesn't matter, Patriot safeties need to be able to play both.

I'd be pretty happy with that mock. Would prefer to swap Branch for McClellin, but that's just an idiosyncratic preference.

Cosell does some great work with NFL Films. Fascinating guy.

Really, really interesting mock.

I think we take Andre Branch over Shea McClellin for the reasons given. I think that extra length and athleticism wins out in a nose's breath.

And Brockers is the developmental Ace for Pepper to win at cards with.

The write up of Zeitler sure makes me wish I could see him in a Patriots uniform as Brian Waters' replacement.

Because McClellin has college production and good tape on his side.

Because McClellin has college production and good tape on his side.

And size. And lack of steroid rumors. And versatility. And no history of freelancing. And less obnoxious hair.

Guy was on the scout team his freshman year. Backup LB his soph and jr yr. Green Bay went out on a whim to draft him after a good senior campaign. He did the rest himself when he got the opportunity in the NFL and fit into their system well.

I'd argue with some fine tuning McClellin can be a better overall LB than Mathews except without the roller skates and the chest pumps.

Ah finally a mocker who understands the value of CBs. Every year the mocks fail with their CB projections; actually they might value CBs correctly but they undervalue how desperate teams are get quality CBs.

I would love it if it happened, but saying that Brockers will be there at 31 is nothing short of idiotic.

I would love it if it happened, but saying that Brockers will be there at 31 is nothing short of idiotic.

Stranger things have happened on draft day,

Stranger things have happened on draft day,

This is true. But in this case, only if no other NFL team besides the Giants could use an agile, 6-5 320lb OLine-eating behemoth who has come nowhere close to reaching his full potential yet. :rolleyes: ;)

The Brockers wank fest is pathetic. There are much better players that would help our team out much more than this guy and people can't stop creaming about Brockers.

Elite players that would help us much more than Brockers:
Mark Barron
Fletcher Cox
Shea McClellin
Chandler Jones
Janoris Jenkins
Stephen Gilmore
Dre Kirkpatrick
Whitney Mercilus
Melvin Ingram

So in short, if none of these guys are on the board when we pick at #27 and #31 then I'm happy to take Brockers

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes