PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Greg Bedard tweets observations from AFCCG tape breakdown

Status
Not open for further replies.

SVN

PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club
Reaction score
some interesting observations incase anyone is interested

The defensive line, for the second-straight game, was just terrific. Flawless.

Seemed to me that the Patriots wanted to attack Webb early -- perhaps to shake his confidence -- and forced throws were planned

WYes. Agreed RT @That_Eric: Was the long pass to Hernandez one of the misses? I thought that was his worst.

The one I do put on Brady was missing Hernandez.

Does he usually make that play? Yes, 8 times out of 10, but there was pressure.

I watched the Gronk play a ton of times. There was Light allowed pressure from Suggs so I can't fault Brady.

So Brady put it where only Edelman or an outstanding play by defense happens. It happened.

I think they were supposed to run a smash concept -- Branch dig, Edelman corner -- but Webb's hand checked screwed it up.

The two interceptions were outstanding plays. The Slater ball wasn't well thrown. The Webb one was poor decision.

I have Brady for 9 "plus" throws, two plus runs. Had two minus decisions, two minus throws. 1 knockdown on him.

:That's how those tough playoff games go. People, maybe all of us, are spoiled by the regular season. It's not the same game in playoffs

Brady's YPA was 6.64 vs. Ravens. Career playoff YPA 6.81 in 21 games. In 5 losses 6.43. In 16 victories it's 6.81.

:I may be in the minority but I thought Brady played very well against Ravens. Was he Tom Terrific? No, but no one usually is in playoffs
you can get more here Twitter

I hate tweets. It's like reading a telegram when someone was short on money.

I have a really strong feeling that after the Bowl it is going to be the Patriots DL that is going to be the one getting the attention for their performance, not the Giants. They have been dominant so far in the playoffs and this Giant OL is not that good. Couple this with an offense that relies on getting the ball downfield, much like the Patriots did in 2007, and I think the DL is going to pressure Manning and get to him, and he's going to end up turning the ball over.

On the other hand I think the change in the Patriots offense from a slow developing offense to an offense that gets the ball out quickly to the TE's and Welker is going to make it much more difficult for the Giants DL to get to Brady than the past. This and the play of the patriots OL, which has been exceptional is going to make life much more difficult for the Giants defense.

I really like the matchups up front going into the Bowl and think the Patriots will win the battle in the trenches.

It will all come down to whether our safeties get their act together.

It was like that at the beginning of the season, it's the story of this team now.

These are not bad DBs. They can cover and make plays. Their problem is that they are so often confused before the play. Like on Sunday.

If the safeties call the right plays and everyone "does their jobs," I think the Patriots win.

[B]"The one I do put on Brady was missing Hernandez."[/B]

Actually, that was a catchable ball, albeit, it was low, the one Brady really missed was one to Gronk, over threw him for what would have been a sure TD

Bedard's weekly breakdown, "On Football" in today's Globe is a great read. For one thing, he smashes the myth that Brady was horrible on Sunday. It was admittedly far from his best performance, but he was signficantly better than what has been portrayed, particularly by the national "experts."

Last edited:
Last night I watched the replay of the game on NFL Network (first time I saw most of the game on TV, as I was at the game itself). Anyway, for all the talk of how "bad" TFB played when I watching it I couldn't help but notice all the clutch 3rd down passes he completed (including the drive that ended in the winning TD plunge). I think when it comes to the playoffs it's not stats, it's which team makes the plays they need to, and Brady made a bunch of them. Not to channel my inner Felger, but the playoffs are also about which team pukes on themselves in the clutch and makes bad plays, like a shanked 32 yard field goal.

I hate tweets too

Here is his whole review in the form of his report card. I don't always agree with any of them, but I really respect Bedard - SO FAR - because he is thoughtful in his observations and he takes the time to review the tape before he arrives at any conclusions and he always puts them in perspective based on the situation.

Tom Brady got the job done for Patriots in AFC title game - The Boston Globe

Brady didn't play a good game, but the two interceptions came on absolutely amazing plays by Webb and Pollard/Smith. Contrast that with Eli Manning who threw three passes straight into the hands of CBs, with one flat out drop and two collisions preventing the turnovers.

To hit Gronk, Brady pretty much needed to take something off the throw.

It's excusable to mess that up when you're under pressure. Brady doesn't specialize in "touch" passing anyway and, not coincidentally, "touch" passes are very rarely appropriate in this offense.

Last edited:
Bedard's weekly breakdown, "On Football" in today's Globe is a great read. For one thing, he smashes the myth that Brady was horrible on Sunday. It was admittedly far from his best performance, but he was signficantly better than what has been portrayed, particularly by the national "experts."

To be fair to the "experts", it was Brady who said that Brady sucked.

It was a very un-Brady performance. I'm sure we can all agree on that. A QB rating of 57 something...yikes. What I'm more surprised about is the fact that our vilified defense isn't getting more coverage. Brady throws 2 picks, ZERO TD's, and our D holds on enough to win. I wouldn't have thought that was possible earlier in the year!

It's good to know that Brady doesn't usually have 2 stinkers in a row....

It was a very un-Brady performance. I'm sure we can all agree on that. A QB rating of 57 something...yikes. What I'm more surprised about is the fact that our vilified defense isn't getting more coverage. Brady throws 2 picks, ZERO TD's, and our D holds on enough to win. I wouldn't have thought that was possible earlier in the year!

The QB rating isnt terribly surprising when you think about it. The Ravens are the stingiest red zone team in the league, especially pass D. They made 2 great plays for INTs and allowed zero passing TDs. Brady still led 2 touchdown drives and 5 scoring drives but that doesn't affect his QB rating as much as those 2 INTs and no pass TDs since his sneak TD isnt reflected in the rating. So while it certainly wasnt a great game by his standards and he said so himself without the 2 great plays for INT's it certainly isn't scrutinized this much.

I took something interesting from his DB score. Even though he gave them a 3 out of 5 rating, the reasons were individual breakdowns NOT that they were outmatched. Everything they did wrong is correctable. I find that very encouraging for the short AND long term.

Watching the game again last night, and being able to do so calmly :rolleyes: I realized that yah, Brady really didn't suck. Our D really played great as we knew. It was a hard fought game. There weren't mental lapses that were game killers.

To lose the turnover battle in a game like that and win, the Pats were absolutely the better team. I no longer feel like they were lucky - which I did Sunday night. In the end, they earned that win.

Watching the game again last night, and being able to do so calmly :rolleyes: I realized that yah, Brady really didn't suck. Our D really played great as we knew. It was a hard fought game. There weren't mental lapses that were game killers.

To lose the turnover battle in a game like that and win, the Pats were absolutely the better team. I no longer feel like they were lucky - which I did Sunday night. In the end, they earned that win.

Nobody cares if you win by throwing 6 TD's Week before or escape with a win with opposing FG kicker missing a chipshot. In the end the final score is what matters. WE SCORED 23 THEY SCORED 20; WE WIN ! Outside of that "if's" and "but's" were candies and nuts......ya know the saying

Lombardi trophy simply says World Champion. All I care is when clock hits zero in SB46 regulation, Pats have 1 more point than Gints; now if they are up by 30 at halftime and cruise home to victory, I will gladly take that also.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back