Status
Not open for further replies.
On OL coach

Reputation is that in both NY and MIA, the lines underachieved

Amendola

Doesn't look like the same guy he saw in camp last year

Not as explosive

Edelman as the move guy means Amendola is not in his best spot

I've wondered about that. I can see BB keeping LaFell active because of his blocking, ST ability, and ability to go over the middle. But why not keep both Dobson and Thompkins active in that case?

i don't normally agree with felger, but he has a point. Gooch was fired from the jest after his first season as the OLC and then Miami. The pats couldn't find somebody with a better resume to coach the line that protects one of the all time great QB's? And on top of that in both places the o line regressed under this guy. I believe i heard hes only been an OLC since 2012

Tuba player? o_O

At least Neal was a wrestler .:cool:

I've wondered about that. I can see BB keeping LaFell active because of his blocking, ST ability, and ability to go over the middle. But why not keep both Dobson and Thompkins active in that case?
I either read or heard speculation that Amendola would b inactive for KC which would allow both Thompkins and Dobson to suit up

So the guy the pats have as their O-line coach was fired from the Dolphins and Jets and just last year was out of football because he was a sports radio host?

Very interesting choice for a coach.

Link please :)

There's no link at this point, it's a live broadcast. You have to listen to it. Perhaps there will be a transcription of it later. See post #22 above by Rob.

So the guy the pats have as their O-line coach was fired from the Dolphins and Jets and just last year was out of football because he was a sports radio host? Interesting.
I don't know about interesting, i think its a little scarry

If this is true, why by all that is holy did BB sign this guy?

Because he had confidence in him, obviously. Scar's retirement wasn't a sudden thing, the Pats must have had candidates in mind. DeGuglielmo had just taken the OL job at Maryland, and left it after less than a week to join the Pats.

It's just a knee-jerk reaction that someone must be crappy because they weren't on the field for a year. He may be a bad coach, but it's too soon to tell, and that's not a good reason for it.

Because he had confidence in him, obviously. Scar's retirement wasn't a sudden thing, the Pats must have had candidates in mind. DeGuglielmo had just taken the OL job at Maryland, and left it after less than a week to join the Pats.

It's just a knee-jerk reaction that someone must be crappy because they weren't on the field for a year. He may be a bad coach, but it's too soon to tell, and that's not a good reason for it.
But Greg Bedard has 20/20 hindsight that it was a bad idea to hire this guy.
Of course Greg Bedard would make better decisions about hiring football coaches than Bill Belichick. :rolleyes:

3 up:

Hightower - even in pass coverage
Mayo - great in middle, getting better every week, 3 QB pressures
Ch Jones - all over the place ever since they got him out of the 5 technique

3 down:

Solder - 5 QB pressures, 5 bad run blocks, just.... not good
Cannon - 5 QB pressures, 1.5 stuffed runs allowed.... not good either
Hooman - just cannot run block

Bonus:
Collins - blown up in the running game, only 20 snaps

Bedard likes what he's seeing out of the defense, thinks it's legit

Now he's bashing Revis

Thinks Revis is playing a bit lazy, but not all the plays were on Revis (Put one of them on McCourty). Still good, but not $12 million good right now.

But Greg Bedard has 20/20 hindsight that it was a bad idea to hire this guy.
Of course Greg Bedard would make better decisions about hiring football coaches than Bill Belichick. :rolleyes:

How is what he said 20/20 hindsight?

I either read or heard speculation that Amendola would b inactive for KC which would allow both Thompkins and Dobson to suit up

The problem with that is that Amendola is the backup slot guy, and this team is all about that move position right now. Tough decision ahead, probably.

Did he have confidence in him or does BB have so much confidence in his own coaching ability that he feels like he can hire any coach? I mean, does anybody truly believe that Matt Patricia is really coaching the defense?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes