PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Greg Bedard: Chandler Jones ready to be a full time starter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar size and physical abilities. Thats it.

Exactly. But take AD's size and physical abilities and package them into a guy with the right attitude, and that's pretty good. We were all pretty psyched when AD signed, because of the size and tools; who knew he would be such a bad teammate?

Shrinking and growing. Hightower was listed at 6'4" for all of his time at Alabama, then measured in at 6'2 1/4", and now is apparently back to 6'4". He apparently has not only versatility, athleticism and smarts, but also the ability to adjust his height at will.

Ive repeatedly read both 6'2'' and 6'4'', ill settle for 6'3. What ever his height he looks like he is going to be a force that will make an impact at different positions from MLB to OLB. Opposing players just bounce off of him like hes a brick wall and end up flat on their backs.

Last edited:
Jones (the dude in the thread title) is pretty consistently listed at 6-5, so worth seeing some pics of them side by each.

10d7b9_042712patsce003.jpg

chandler_donta.jpg

628x471.jpg

Hard to tell exactly how much shorter Hightower is, depends on the posture in each pic. Either way ... couple of beasts in the making.

Last edited:
Can't wait to see Donta stopping the ground & pound like a brick wall and Chandler throwing QB's to the ground or deflecting their passes.

:rocker:

Compelling comparison there; I was surprised to see Hightower is listed as actually bigger (6-4 270, vs 6-2 270 for Thomas). By all reports Hightower already has the work ethic, so no worries there.

By all accounts the work ethic is off the charts with this kid. But it's not just that they're talking about. He apparently just gets it. He's seldom out of position and is making all the right reads. He breaks on the ball really well and sticks the ball carrier. If there is one area where they say he has struggled a bit, it's his ability to shed blockers. I think Mayo (IIRC) struggled with that early on as well.

Does anyone else think he looks like Avon Barksdale?

Last edited:
By all accounts the work ethic is off the charts with this kid. But it's not just that they're talking about. He apparently just gets it. He's seldom out of position and is making all the right reads. He breaks on the ball really well and sticks the ball carrier. If there is one area where they say he has struggled a bit, it's his ability to shed blockers. I think Mayo (IIRC) struggled with that early on as well.
Can you link to that, I haven't heard that from anyone.

Does anyone else think he looks like Avon Barksdale?

I do, even Chandlers mannerisms are similar to Wood Harris. If you have ever seen Paid in Full, that's where I get the Mannerism from..

I think Hightower is fairly unique because of his combination of size, physicality, instincts, versatility and range. There's some Ray Lewis elements. But my best guess would be that he's closest to combining elements of playing style from 2 of BB's old Giant guys: Carl Banks and Pepper Johnson. That would be just fine with me.

Greetings,
When the Patriots drafted Dont'a Hightower I immediately thought of him having a Carl Banks and or Mike Vrabel role on this defense. I do not see him consistently having 150 tackle or 10 sack seasons, but due to him having to do many different things for this defense we will see very well rounded stats for him. I see him more having 100 tackle and 6 sack seasons instead.

Celticboy04

Chandler Jones and Quinton Coples trending in opposite directions.
For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.

I wonder what **** Butkus thinks about names like Chandler and Quinton? I know what George Carlin thought of them.

In fans minds these 2 will always be compared to each other. Especially if it's another gholston and mayo scenario. Let's hope for our sake it is

Don't forget that Devin McCourty will always be linked to Kyle Wilson too.

I hope you guys dont bat a thousand by going 3 for 3. :nooo:

Mayo >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Gholson
Dev McCourty >>>>>>>>>>>Wilson

Now it's up to Coples to start to reverse the trend.

and it's just possible - not to jump the gun,
It's pretty hard not to think, "Gold Dust Twins".

They say it's too early to pronounce anybody gold but some people do see the glitter before others. Fool's gold? I doubt it. Look at the pedigree. Just look at the body types, the smarts, the good work habits, the coaching.

I was on the Hightower bandwagon for a long long time and he was my draft binky. Jones at least to this point has been more in every regard than I gave him credit for. He looked bigger, stronger, more athletic, had a quicker first step, had better hand technique than I thought. Don't underestimate the hand skills. That's one of the hardest things for young lineman to learn. Great and quick feet too and great use of leverage.

For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.

I wonder what **** Butkus thinks about names like Chandler and Quinton? I know what George Carlin thought of them.

Chandler Jones was clearly a four-down starting DE last evening against the 'Ain'ts while Coples, God bless his Tar Heel heart, is struggling with the base defense for the Jets.

August 2, 2012 CBS Sports: "With the first week of training camp in the books, the Jets have moved Coples out of the starting lineup. Jets Defensive coordinator Mike Pettine said that the team will use him in pass rushing situations for the time being after seeing his play slow down as a result of how much he’s trying to learn on the fly.

“We’ll work it from back to front,” Pettine said, via Jenny Vrentas of the Newark Star-Ledger. “He’ll be a third-down guy, similar to [Aaron] Maybin. Get him out there in passing situations and then work him into the base defense. Let him be a back-up for the guys in base, but keep his plate small.”

Chandler Jones absolutely mauled LT Jermon Bushrod in his opening pre-season game. Bushrod was an anchor on Brees' blind side in his record setting year and had to resort to tackling Chandler Jones to keep him from killing Drew Brees and his understudy. Bushrod is no slouch. ("Don't sell yourself short, Judge. You're a tremendous slouch." - Ty Webb, Caddyshack)

“He’ll be a third-down guy, similar to [Aaron] Maybin. Get him out there in passing situations and then work him into the base defense. Let him be a back-up for the guys in base, but keep his plate small.”

Never good when your being mentioned as similiar to Maybin.

Never good when your being mentioned as similiar to Maybin.

NJ does everything opposite of the Pats. One thing that is typical of the Pats front office is making roster additions that are classified as low risk- high reward. :D

Coples is going to be compared to Ingram and Jones. Only time will tell if he was yet another Jets bust or a successful pick.

Encouraging stuff showed by Jones. Hope to see him continue to show his stuff consistently not just throughout the preseason and but when the real games start.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back