PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Green-Ellis - Why or Why Not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
+1.

Maroney made me want to throw a rock at him yesterday. BJGE plays the series, Maroney comes in for the goaline reps. He dances and goes nowhere twice, then on 3rd down gets a 2 yard TD and acts like John Cena.

Maroney did do some good things things last night. Actually, both he & BJGE looked almost the same to me - some strong runs, and then some runs where they seemed to hesitate and get swallowed by the pusuit.

The one thing BJGE just seems to do better is hit the line and the holes with a little more purpose than Maroney.

I saw Sammy Morris play briefly. Did Taylor make it in? Don't recall seeing him.

Well, actually, Andy, there was no "battle". I was just trying to get opinions about what folks thought about Green-Ellis.

It is kind of interesting that you, as well as some other grumpy ba$tard$ on this board, see every thread as a "battle" to prove who is right and wrong, though.

Enjoy your fantasy football league!
Reading comprehension says you missed your appointment.
The thread losing its battle with purpose is entirely unrelated to a thread being a battle to prove who is right or wrong.
I have never played fantasy football, but somehow I think you are a big participant. Am I wrong.

By the way, I don't care at all whether you want this unsolicited advise, but if you want to be taken seriuosly you should tone down the hyperbole and overexaggerating of every comment you make.
You make dislike Maroney, but a RB who has basically been the #1 RB on his team for his entire 4 year career and was the primary back on the highest scoring offense in NGL history is hardly a bust. You may want to argue he fell short of expectations but you eliminate anyone taking you seriously when you feel the need to overstate everything to get recognized. Thats my friendly advise take it, leave it, crap on it, I don't care.

but a RB who has basically been the #1 RB on his team for his entire 4 year career and was the primary back on the highest scoring offense in NGL history is hardly a bust.

Maroney has started a grand total of 14 games in 4 years.

Antowain Smith had more starts in 1 season than Maroney in 4. I cannot recall another #1 RB with so few starts or one that was deliberately benched for a playoff game even though he was healthy. No, Maroney may not be a total bust like Kijana Carter, but he is riding the fence in year 5. Bruschi, who would know whether or not holes are there for Maroney to run through has made his thoughts clear about Maroney.

He is tired of the Barry Sanders imitation like a lot of us.

Maroney took a step in the right direction last night. Lets see how long it lasts.

Don't be so pedantic, he has been the no.1 back on this team for the last 3 years. Just because he wasn't officially listed as starting every game doesn't mean he wasn't the no.1 back.

Antowain Smith had more starts in 1 season than Maroney in 4. I cannot recall another #1 RB with so few starts or one that was deliberately benched for a playoff game even though he was healthy. No, Maroney may not be a total bust like Kijana Carter, but he is riding the fence in year 5. Bruschi, who would know whether or not holes are there for Maroney to run through has made his thoughts clear about Maroney.

He is tired of the Barry Sanders imitation like a lot of us.

Maroney took a step in the right direction last night. Lets see how long it lasts.

Now go and check out the number of games where he had the most carries :rolleyes:

+1.

Maroney made me want to throw a rock at him yesterday. BJGE plays the series, Maroney comes in for the goaline reps. He dances and goes nowhere twice, then on 3rd down gets a 2 yard TD and acts like John Cena.

Maroney played fine last night. Fact is, if it were anyone else, you wouldn't care. But for some reason you're utterly irrational on this topic (Madden ratings, LOL).

Maroney played fine last night. Fact is, if it were anyone else, you wouldn't care. But for some reason you're utterly irrational on this topic (Madden ratings, LOL).

All I said was the people at Electronic Arts agree with the majority of the board here.

WTF do you mean if it were anyone else I wouldn't care. People don't like Maroney because he isn't good enough. Your telling me if Maroney gives a couple 100 yard games to start the season I would still not like him? (LOL.)

Don't be so pedantic, he has been the no.1 back on this team for the last 3 years. Just because he wasn't officially listed as starting every game doesn't mean he wasn't the no.1 back.

You are what you are - Parcells

It is what it is - Belichick

The Pats dont trust Maroney as the #1 guy. If they did there is no reason to have Taylor.

You are what you are - Parcells

It is what it is - Belichick

The Pats dont trust Maroney as the #1 guy. If they did there is no reason to have Taylor.

Adrian Peterson must suck, then, since the Vikings kept Chester Taylor around.

BJGE is cheap and does his job serviceably enough. I can't think of any reason why you WOULDN'T want him on the roster.

BJGE is cheap and does his job serviceably enough. I can't think of any reason why you WOULDN'T want him on the roster.

If he keeps playing like he did last night, I see no reason why he wont be among the 53.

Adrian Peterson must suck, then, since the Vikings kept Chester Taylor around.

Jonathan Stewart and DeAngelo Williams must BOTH suck! And don't even get me started on Willis McGahee and Ray Rice...

Last edited:
LOL! You guys comparing Adrian Peterson and Toby Gerhart (Chester Taylor is gone, I wanted Gerhart in Gronk's selection, but Gronk will become a good player) and Rice-Mcgahee, to our runningback situation.

The difference? They carry it 20 times a game and there running mate spells them for a few carries a game. Here its: Maroney 10 carries, Fred Taylor 7 carries, Sammy Morris 4 carries, Kevin Faulk 4 carries, BJGE 2 carries. That's a great way to get a rhythm. :rolleyes:

Jonathan Stewart and DeAngelo Williams must BOTH suck! And don't even get me started on Willis McGahee and Ray Rice...

You get it! I mean, just imagine the level of suckage of the THREE runners in Dallas.

LOL! You guys comparing Adrian Peterson and Toby Gerhart (Chester Taylor is gone, I wanted Gerhart in Gronk's selection, but Gronk will become a good player) and Rice-Mcgahee, to our runningback situation.

The difference? They carry it 20 times a game and there running mate spells them for a few carries a game. Here its: Maroney 10 carries, Fred Taylor 7 carries, Sammy Morris 4 carries, Kevin Faulk 4 carries, BJGE 2 carries. That's a great way to get a rhythm. :rolleyes:

The point is that your entire premise (why would you keep around a good RB unless all your other RBs sucked??) is ******ed. We're not comparing the caliber of running games: just pointing out that every decent team in the league has multiple good RBs, Patriots included.

The point is that your entire premise (why would you keep around a good RB unless all your other RBs sucked??) is ******ed. We're not comparing the caliber of running games: just pointing out that every decent team in the league has multiple good RBs, Patriots included.

Calling our RB core full of multiple "good" RBs is a stretch. More like the retirment home.

Calling our RB core full of multiple "good" RBs is a stretch. More like the retirment home.

Because clearly it would be better to draft Adrian Peterson at the top of the first round, then run up 1,000 carries on him before he turns 25. That way you can all but guarantee that your franchise player will be washed up by 28, which is a great way to use assets.

Because clearly it would be better to draft Adrian Peterson at the top of the first round, then run up 1,000 carries on him before he turns 25. That way you can all but guarantee that your franchise player will be washed up by 28, which is a great way to use assets.

I 100% agree with what you just said, I don't get the point though. That's why they drafted Gerhart.W e just need a dependable two-headed attack, not the robotic 5 man voltron that is undependable with.

YouTube - Laurence Maroney schools reporters on Voltron!

I 100% agree with what you just said, I don't get the point though. That's why they drafted Gerhart.W e just need a dependable two-headed attack, not the robotic 5 man voltron that is undependable with.

YouTube - Laurence Maroney schools reporters on Voltron!

The Vikings have had a "dependable two-headed attack" for Peterson's entire career thus far; that's what Chester Taylor was for. Didn't stop him from getting way too many carries, just like Michael Turner and Darren Sproles didn't prevent LT from getting way too many. Philosophically, you pretty much need 3 adequate RBs to cover your bases in the NFL. The more the better. And you absolutely do not need a stud to win. Just look at the last 6 teams that have played in the Super Bowl: all pass-first, no stud backs.

Teams that rely on stud RBs don't make it very far, period. Their ceiling is pretty much the Chargers from LT's prime: awesome for most of the regular season, peaked early, choked in the playoffs when the focal point of their offense succumbed to a full season's pounding and became less-than-intimidating.

Also, I don't get where you're getting the conclusion that the Pats' ground game is undependable. The Pats have a pretty effective ground game, and the vulnerability that it does have comes far more from lack of guard depth than anything to do with RBs.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back