Welcome to PatsFans.com

"Greekonomics" A Must Read

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by PatriotsReign, Aug 30, 2010.

1. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign On the Roster

Ratings:
    +343 / 3 / -13

"Summer here is sacrosanct, a time when Greeks exercise their inalienable right to lazy lunches of tomato salad and deep-fried smelt. For a month or two, most people decamp to an island or their ancestral village, escaping the enervating responsibilities of everyday life — a ritual enjoyed by everyone from janitors and factory workers to ship owners and government ministers. The nation simply shuts down in July and August.

In September, Greeks are supposed to return to work and the national economy is supposed to rumble to life. Nobody, however, knows whether the engine really works in the jalopy that is Greece’s economy. Will Greece begin a slow slide into destitution this fall? Or, more dramatically, will the country explode? Labor unions already have staged a few small but paralyzing strikes this summer, shutting down the ports, cutting off the supply of gasoline for private cars. These actions are but previews of the main event expected in the fall, when vacations are over and the government starts dismantling the gravy train that has funded the Greek way of life these past three decades."

A fascinating article on the psyche of the Greek populace regarding what they perceive as their "Rights".

Also, a great lesson for our own policy makers regarding our own future.

Greekonomics - The Boston Globe
  2. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +434 / 5 / -2

The month of August in Italy is more or less treated the same. Heck, in the summer, afternoons are like that. Stores close, bars lock their doors, and everyone basically takes a nap after lunch, from 2-5 pm. Very few places are open for business during those hours, in the summer months.
  3. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +265 / 10 / -26

In Mexico it is customary to take a "siesta" between 12 & 3 PM.. many stores shut down..

Everyone does not do it the American way....
  4. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +883 / 6 / -16

#87 Jersey

Right about that ...

Here we answer our cell phones when we are home, on the golf course, relaxing with family.

Here we wire ourselves in with bluetooth everything ... the more the better and if there's any lag we go ballistic.

Sunday was supposed to be a day of rest ... now many of us use it as catch up day because retailers found a way to make more money and it kind of affects all of us in some fashion.

I work 7 days a week @ 18 hours a day give or take. I'm supposed to be working when I post my garbage here ... but sometimes I just don't give a frig and I do what I want.

The sight of kids playing outside is rare because many times one of their parents is working and their life is regimented.

These are a few things I wanted to add ... I could go on but then so could everyone else.

So I'll post this and await the next member's ideas.;)
  5. scout

scout Rookie

Ratings:
    +40 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

How about the holidays? Back in the day, stores were closed. Then, they opened.......followed by opening early........followed by ridiculously early.......now some don't close.
  6. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign On the Roster

Ratings:
    +343 / 3 / -13

I agree Americans have some sort of sick belief that working 24/7 is something to be proud of when in reality, it's shameful and sad.

I often hear people BRAGGING about how long it's been since they took a vacation or how they're giving back vacation time.'

I feel like asking them if they're idiots or just want to sound that way?

Nice summary on our culture for sure.

Not a knock on you IcyPat, but the truth is, there is nothing wrong with working 40 hours/week! Actually, I think 40 is the right number for a truly balanced life.
  7. Run DMC

Run DMC Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

#24 Jersey

32 hours/week would be even better, at least according to those decadent French! What would they know about civilization?!