PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Gred Bedard on the safety position

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sergio Brown is awful. Definitely in the running for worst Patriot DB of the last 10 years along with Deltha O'Neal and Duane Starks.

The development of the TE game allows 'big' Safties to remain very useful. Hence, our apparent interest in LaRon Landry. I do, however, agree with the thrust of the article.

Excellent post. You can't cover guys like Gronk and that new breed of big, fast TEs with a 5'10", 190lb S as in McCourty. Landry also is the image of what BB wanted to do with a bigger SS type like Barrett as a hybrid "Rover".

Cousin, I see a list of six players on the Pats roster right now who could up the ante for Landry and not affect the CAP to get a few more pieces>

Brace $785,000
Barrett $1,000,000 (who Landry would surely replace)
Polite $700,000
Underwood $615,000
Malcomb Williams $450,000
Sergio Brown $538,000

There is over $4m in CAP space to use to sign a Landry.

Give me your choice. Landry or these dudes?

The one caveat is you might get someone to trade Brace to and pick up a sixth or seventh rounder.

The other relief might come from someone picking up Hoyer. That is another $2m.

DW Toys

Excellent post. You can't cover guys like Gronk and that new breed of big, fast TEs with a 5'10", 190lb S as in McCourty. Landry also is the image of what BB wanted to do with a bigger SS type like Barrett as a hybrid "Rover".

Cousin, I see a list of six players on the Pats roster right now who could up the ante for Landry and not affect the CAP to get a few more pieces>

Brace $785,000
Barrett $1,000,000 (who Landry would surely replace)
Polite $700,000
Underwood $615,000
Malcomb Williams $450,000
Sergio Brown $538,000

There is over $4m in CAP space to use to sign a Landry.

Give me your choice. Landry or these dudes?

The one caveat is you might get someone to trade Brace to and pick up a sixth or seventh rounder.

The other relief might come from someone picking up Hoyer. That is another $2m.

DW Toys

That's not how it works. Those 6 spots would have to be filled with 6 new players. Even if we assume that those 6 spots go to 6 rookies for the minimum salary and no signing bonus, you only made around $1.7M in cap room.

I'm confused.

Is there anyone besides me on Patsfans that you're NOT related to? :confused:

The best example of this is with the Jets. Revis is pretty much the current epitome of the shut down CB. This didn't stop the Pats from putting up 30+ in 2 games last season. Its not like Revis didn't do his job, but the Pats simple chose to throw to other guys. So in the end the Jets best defensive player had an impact in something like 5 plays out of the 65 offensive plays. If your best player was your Safety, he'd be in a hell of lot more than that.

Another effect of the new way offense's focus more to the middle of the field, is the not so slow death of the "strong safety". No longer can teams afford to have a guy whose main focus was the run game, in an era when team are running the ball less and less. No longer can you afford to have a guy whose coverage skills are limited to covering less athletic TEs. Now that TE's have developed WR skills, this kind of player is needed less and less. In today's game the SS has become is situational player. He's no longer a "3 down player"

BTW- which makes me wonder why the Pats would consider adding Landry, who might still be an effective SS in the old sense, but is weak in coverage and would end up being on the field less than 50% of the snaps....even if he remained healthy

Great post. I'm not sure how a bodybuilder with very limited coverage skills can improve much the Pats secondary.

Matt Giordano would be my pick. He is a pretty good ballhawk, had 5 INT last season in half a season as a starter (he started as a backup and midway in the season got the starting job from the Raiders). He's also a big hitter. He would very probably ask for a lot less than Landry or Reggie Nelson.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9QVfFzCc3A

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back