PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Greatest Unsung Games in Patriot History

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mike the Brit said:
"Unsung" ??!!?
You're right, Mike. It certainly wasn't unsung, but a loss by your team isn't generally categorized as one of the greatest moments in your team's history.

Unsung? No.

Historic? Gloriously, yes.

3 to be 4 said:
We all know about the SB's and playoff games. What are your favorite non-playoff Patriot games in their history? Here are a few of mine.

1985 National TV, at Seattle, Fred Marion returns interception for TD, Patriots go to 8-3.
Great game, tough place to win. Those Seahawks were schizo that year, wining 2, losing 2, rinse and repeat all season (look it up...it's true).

1986 last game of season, at Miami, Grogan to Morgan as Patriots win the division on MNF.
That was awesome. The Pats hadn't run the ball all year, and suddenly Craig James finds his groove in the 4th quarter. Run, run, run...what? Grogan's *throwing*? He's got Morgan...TD! MNF cuts to Boomer Esiason's house where he and his Bengal teammates watch their playoff hopes go up in smoke.

1994 Beating Buffalo 41-17 at Buffalo
That was the changing of the guard in the AFCE. The Pats spared the world of a 5th Buffalo SB appearance.

1998 the 2 great Bledsoe last second wins at home against Miami and Buffalo
TWO fourth down conversions to Shawn Jefferson and then the TD to him with a blitzer in Bledsoe's face...all with Drew having a freshly broken finger. I also like the win in Pittsburgh the week after Buffalo, with Drew hitting Glenn for an 89yd TD again with a blitzer in his face. Unfortunately, his broken finger caught up with him and he was done after that game.

I'd add:

1986: Fryar catches a Hail Mary with his toes just inside the end line as time expires to beat the Rams 30-28 (would have been 29-28, but in regulation extra points must be kicked). Stanley Morgan outjumped all the defenders to tip the ball to Fryar. That game was also Jim Everett's NFL debut.

1987: The Pats lost in OT to the Eagles (34-31?), but 3rd string QB Tom Ramsey ("the other #12 QB named Tom") threw for over 400 yards against a Buddy Ryan D that featured an in-his-prime Reggie White (21 sacks in 12 games that year). Very fun game despite the loss.

1987: Tony Franklin went from Pro Bowl to bum this season, but the Raiders were sure to help him out for at least one game. Franklin shanks badly a late 34yd FG that would have won the game, but some dufus on LA jumped offsides. Franklin hits the 29yd winner on the next play (as everyone in Foxboro held their breath).

1988: Keeping with the Franklin-is-a-bum theme, the Flutie-led Pats win in Miami 6-3 as new Dolphins kicker Tony Franklin shanks some very makeable FGs that would have given Miami an ugly win.

1988: Rookie John Stephens runs roughshod through a very tough Chicago defense for something like 125yds and Flutie throws for (I think) 4 TDs in a 30-7 rout. Flutie picks on former Bears teammate CB Vestee Jackson all game...guess he remembered who the weak link was in practice. That Bears team would end up 12-4 and the NFC runner-up.

1991: Pats beat the Oilers with a Hugh Millen TD pass to former Brockton High star WR Greg McMurtry. Saw McMurtry beat my HS at Foxboro in the Division 1 Super Bowl back in 1985. Love it when the local boys come home to the Pats.

1994: The 39-35 and 38-35 losses to open the season. Sure they were losses, but the NFL was on notice that both Bledsoe and Coates have arrived. Although I thought I was in a time warp, watching a circa 1980 Chargers team with Fouts-to-Winslow as the main feature and a lot of points by both teams (and a loss by the good guys).

2000: The OT win in Buffalo in that ridiculous storm of snow and sleet. FGs were being kicked into the long snapper's butt because there was no footing. Guys were skating out there. One of the most visually stunning games I've ever seen.

2002: The win over the Bears in Champaign. I made a post about it at the time:

Final 20 minutes vs. Chicago 2002

I'd mention several games from the championship seasons, but I think those games are pretty well-sung.

Regards,
Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes