PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Greatest Patriots Reception in a Super Bowl?

Status
Not open for further replies.

brdmaverick

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, so we all know that the last two Super Bowls were equally defined by great catches by the Giants (David Tyree, Mario Manningham) and non-catches by the Patriots (Asante Samuel, Wes Welker).

So this peaked my curiosity of, what was the greatest catch (either in terms of skill, luck, or both) that the Patriots have had in a Super Bowl?

I know, I know, someone might be quick to comeback with...you don't need a great catch if you have a great throw.

I'm just wondering, what do you think was the greatest catch by a Patriot in a Super Bowl?

I'll throw out two candidates......

Terry Glenn's long bomb from Drew Bledsoe on third and short against the Packers.

Ben Coates making a third down reception on an eventual TD drive in which the ball was tipped a few times (once by Leroy Evans of the Packers).

The Gronk tip to himself in the end zone vs the Broncos.

Vrable tipping it to himself I believe against the Panthers but not 100% sure.

Branch had a reception over the middle against Philly where he jumped and took the ball out of the defenders hands and just kept running. It was a fearless play and showed amazing body control.

Troy Brown against the Panthers while triple covered on the final drive.

the patten catch in the corner of the endzone against the rams.......design had something to do with it

JR Redmond, screen pass, first down, start of final drive in SB36. I know it's not a difficult catch to make — and we're not necessarily going "mot important" — but he did a nice job getting into position as the outlet after Little almost stripped the ball from Brady. No completion there = OT.

As a companion piece to this thread: Had the Patriots ever, under TB/BB, had a big drop in a Super Bowl before this year? You can argue there were three this year.

Last edited:
the patten catch in the corner of the endzone against the rams.......design had something to do with it

That throw was behind him and up high, like another throw I recall from this past Sunday. Yet he caught it :)

My favorite SB catch was a little-remembered one by Troy Brown on the final drive of SB 38. The Pats had just been penalized 10 yds, and needed to get into FG range. Brady threw a laser (high and outside, again) that Brown snared, and protected from 2 defenders as they wrestled him to the ground. Just a great, clutch catch, the kind we needed this year but didn't get, unfortunately.

The Patten catch was the one I immediately seized upon. A twisting, turning, flying back-shoulder snag...then tucking the ball and falling in-bounds. Just an instant classic made better by the fact that it was improvised on the Friday walkthrough by Weis, Brady, BB and Patten. Poor Dexter McCleon never knew what hit him.

That throw was behind him and up high, like another throw I recall from this past Sunday. Yet he caught it :)

My favorite SB catch was a little-remembered one by Troy Brown on the final drive of SB 38. The Pats had just been penalized 10 yds, and needed to get into FG range. Brady threw a laser (high and outside, again) that Brown snared, and protected from 2 defenders as they wrestled him to the ground. Just a great, clutch catch, the kind we needed this year but didn't get, unfortunately.

I thought of this one as well. Huge catch. Set them up in field goal range - an open spot the defense never should have allowed.

Troy Brown against the Panthers while triple covered on the final drive.

Yes, definitely a great one that is not recognized as much as it should be....partly because the final drive was so frantic there was no time to show the replay.

Screen pass to Faulk on 3rd down against the Rams I believe. Yeah, a scree pass is one of our best receptions in our 7 Super Bowl appearances.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes