Welcome to PatsFans.com

Great Whitlock column on Black America

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Tunescribe, Apr 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tunescribe

Tunescribe PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +2,409 / 15 / -23

#61 Jersey

http://sports.aol.com/whitlock/_a/time-for-jackson-sharpton-to-step-down/20070411111509990001

Time for Jackson, Sharpton to Step Down
    Pair See Potential for Profit, Attention in Imus Incident

By JASON WHITLOCK
    AOL
    Sports Commentary

I’m calling for Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton, the president and vice president of Black America, to step down.

Their leadership is stale. Their ideas are outdated. And they don’t give a damn about us.

We need to take a cue from White America and re-elect our leadership every four years. White folks realize that power corrupts. That’s why they placed term limits on the presidency. They know if you leave a man in power too long he quits looking out for the interest of his constituency and starts looking out for his own best interest.

We’ve turned Jesse and Al into Supreme Court justices. They get to speak for us for a lifetime.

Why?

If judged by the results they’ve produced the last 20 years, you’d have to regard their administration as a total failure. Seriously, compared to Martin and Malcolm and the freedoms and progress their leadership produced, Jesse and Al are an embarrassment.

Their job the last two decades was to show black people how to take advantage of the opportunities Martin and Malcolm won.

Have we at the level we should have? No.

Rather than inspire us to seize hard-earned opportunities, Jesse and Al have specialized in blackmailing white folks for profit and attention. They were at it again last week, helping to turn radio shock jock Don Imus’ stupidity into a world-wide crisis that reached its crescendo Tuesday afternoon when Rutgers women’s basketball coach C. Vivian Stringer led a massive pity party/recruiting rally.

Hey, what Imus said, calling the Rutgers players "nappy-headed hos," was ignorant, insensitive and offensive. But so are many of the words that come out of the mouths of radio shock jocks/comedians.

Imus’ words did no real damage. Let me tell you what damaged us this week: the sports cover of Tuesday’s USA Today. This country’s newspaper of record published a story about the NFL and crime and ran a picture of 41 NFL players who were arrested in 2006. By my count, 39 of those players were black.

You want to talk about a damaging, powerful image, an image that went out across the globe?

We’re holding news conferences about Imus when the behavior of NFL players is painting us as lawless and immoral. Come on. We can do better than that. Jesse and Al are smarter than that.

Had Imus’ predictably poor attempt at humor not been turned into an international incident by the deluge of media coverage, 97 percent of America would’ve never known what Imus said. His platform isn’t that large and it has zero penetration into the sports world.

Imus certainly doesn’t resonate in the world frequented by college women. The insistence by these young women that they have been emotionally scarred by an old white man with no currency in their world is laughably dishonest.

The Rutgers players are nothing more than pawns in a game being played by Jackson, Sharpton and Stringer.

Jesse and Al are flexing their muscle and setting up their next sting. Bringing down Imus, despite his sincere attempts at apologizing, would serve notice to their next potential victim that it is far better to pay up than stand up to Jesse and Al James.

Stringer just wanted her 15 minutes to make the case that she’s every bit as important as Pat Summitt and Geno Auriemma. By the time Stringer’s rambling, rapping and rhyming 30-minute speech was over, you’d forgotten that Tennessee won the national championship and just assumed a racist plot had been hatched to deny the Scarlet Knights credit for winning it all.

Maybe that’s the real crime. Imus’ ignorance has taken attention away from Candace Parker’s and Summitt’s incredible accomplishment. Or maybe it was Sharpton’s, Stringer’s and Jackson’s grandstanding that moved the spotlight from Tennessee to New Jersey?

None of this over-the-top grandstanding does Black America any good.

We can’t win the war over verbal disrespect and racism when we have so obviously and blatantly surrendered the moral high ground on the issue. Jesse and Al might win the battle with Imus and get him fired or severely neutered. But the war? We don’t stand a chance in the war. Not when everybody knows “nappy-headed ho’s” is a compliment compared to what we allow black rap artists to say about black women on a daily basis.

We look foolish and cruel for kicking a man who went on Sharpton’s radio show and apologized. Imus didn’t pull a Michael Richards and schedule an interview on Letterman. Imus went to the Black vice president’s house, acknowledged his mistake and asked for forgiveness.

Let it go and let God.

We have more important issues to deal with than Imus. If we are unwilling to clean up the filth and disrespect we heap on each other, nothing will change with our condition. You can fire every Don Imus in the country, and our incarceration rate, fatherless-child rate, illiteracy rate and murder rate will still continue to skyrocket.

A man who doesn’t respect himself wastes his breath demanding that others respect him.

We don’t respect ourselves right now. If we did, we wouldn’t call each other the N-word. If we did, we wouldn’t let people with prison values define who we are in music and videos. If we did, we wouldn’t call black women *****es and hos and abandon them when they have our babies.

If we had the proper level of self-respect, we wouldn’t act like it’s only a crime when a white man disrespects us. We hold Imus to a higher standard than we hold ourselves. That’s a (freaking) shame.

We need leadership that is interested in fixing the culture we’ve adopted. We need leadership that makes all of us take tremendous pride in educating ourselves. We need leadership that can reach professional athletes and entertainers and get them to understand that they’re ambassadors and play an important role in defining who we are and what values our culture will embrace.

It’s time for Jesse and Al to step down. They’ve had 25 years to lead us. Other than their accountants, I’d be hard pressed to find someone who has benefited from their administration.

2. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +824 / 27 / -33

Well written, but it is fine to criticize them and their knee jerk responses are tiring, but who will replace them?

Last edited: Apr 12, 2007
  3. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

How about no one? Maybe Chris Rock and Troy Brown?

4. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +824 / 27 / -33

About a good a choice as anyone, but really do not care about these race thread all that much usually descend into some type of chaotic, name calling thread with no value.

5. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +911 / 7 / -3

I think there's value, but the retards/bigots on both sides resort to name calling, since they have no logical position to descend upon, which ends up pushing sensible people to their limit of tolerance.

6. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,143 / 5 / -10

Jessie/Al
    How did these two street corner bums get to the point where when somebody screws up and says something stupid about black people they go to the likes of a racist like Al Sharpton to aplogize (Imus).

That is truly disgusting.

PS
    Snoopy Doopy Dog calls his Black Sisters "HO'S & B!tches" daily and when he does many of his Black Brothers and Sisters start Dancing!
    :bricks:

7. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +252 / 1 / -0

#12 Jersey

Excellent piece. I'm afraid they won't be impeached from office any time soon though. They both have managed to thrust themselves back into the lime light and have already been further empowered with their success in getting Imus fired. Now everyone is jumping on board to prove they're not racist which will encourage them even more. I applaud Whitlock for his courage to write this exposition of jackson and Sharpton.

See Patters, that is real courage. See the difference between that and hiding from Fox News debates?

Now I'm holding my breath waiting for the righteous outcry for the horrible characterization coach Stringer herself made of her team. She called them "articulate" yesterday. A month ago that was about the worst thing you could call a black person. The outcry for that was led by none other than Al Sharpton himself. What a phony!

8. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +592 / 24 / -19

Old timers like Falwell, Robertson, Jackson, Sharpton continue to command a place in center stage because no one has stepped up to replace them. The sad fact is that moderates are hardly ever effective at rallying people.

At least, Jackson and Sharpton helped expose lies about double-standards and race obsessions of right wingers. In that way, they still serve a purpose and remind us that the right-wing is on the constant lookout for any transgressions by black leaders, while constantly forgiving their own. Some would call that obsession a mild form of racism.

I'm still waiting for someone to show me why the criticism of Imus showed a double standard. Can't you find any major black media personality who said awful things about whites and suffered no consequences? When it comes to race, the many right-wingers are very dishonest about their true feelings.

9. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +252 / 1 / -0

#12 Jersey

What did you think about the piece?

10. pats-blue

pats-blue Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Are you reading the posts? Most posters are stating that Blacks(rappers, comedians) say many times worse things about thier own race, women yet nothing is said. I think thier point is that rappers call women 'Ho's all the time and say much worse, show videos with degrading things in them yet Imus needs to be fired for "nappy headed 'ho's"? Who do you think has a more pervasive influence on Black America..Imus or a multi Platinum selling rapper? I personally have probably heard 2 minutes of Imus my entire life but have heard plenty of rap.

Yeah, yeah it isn't a major media personality. Again who has more influence on the plight of the African American? Imus or rappers and comedians propagating the sterotypes to make money? How many people emulate Imus? How many emulate rappers? Jesse and Al don't callout the rappers for hurting the Black community or demanding that they be fired. You really stick to your guns don't you even if you have to put blinders on and then a blindfold. Read Whitlocks article he is 100% right.

11. Patters

Ratings:
    +592 / 24 / -19

That's not what most of the posters are saying, but I did comment on that saying that in our society people have the right to make fun or use negative stereotypes of their own kind. Jack Benny used to joke about how cheap he was, playing on the stereotype of a cheap Jew. Jerry Seinfeld has an episode where a Christian converts to Judaism so he can tell Jewish jokes. I'm sure I can find examples with Irish, Italians, gays, and other minorities.

As far as music goes, well it's not just rappers. There are certainly offensive songs in every genre, except probably classical (though opera may have a few gems). Rolling Stones Brown Sugar comes to mind, as does Guns 'N Roses Appetite for Destruction. Each occupation is held to a different standard. I'm not saying that's right, but it's reasonably consistent. Artists have a great deal of latitude in terms of freedom of expression. Politicians get punished, if they do, by the electorate. Media personalities get punished when there's some sort of uproar, like those Boston DJs who got fired for joking that Menino's plane crashed. It's hard to say what causes an uproar, but some things just do. As I've said, a 2 week suspension for Imus seems very fair, especially because he apologized and he's reaching out to the people he offended. But, then again, who am I to judge about how hurt people were by his comments.

One other point about music, I was always for Elizabeth Edwards campaign to put warning labels on offensive music. That seems to be a reasonable way to handle that. Plus, there are groups that try to get offensive songs banned from the airwaves, and I think they've had considerable success, though they have not succeeded completely.

As far as Whitlock's article goes, I didn't see anything I disagree with. I've been saying for a long time, where is the new generation of leaders? Right now, on the world stage, we have all second rate players, whether on the right or left. No Gorbachev, no Reagan, no Clinton, no Kennedy, no Mandela, no Gandhi, no MLK, etc. In the absence of a new set of leaders, at least Sharpton and Jackson draw attention to the fact that we haven't overcome racism.

12. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +1,143 / 5 / -10

All Jessie Jackoff, Little Al and all the race baiters like them are doing is driving "Whitey" further and further away, soon the Whitey won't even want to talk to them or about them or be near them (black people) because they will be SCARED, they will be afraid that the "one little thing" will pop up and the Race Baiters will be all over them with their Bigotry Sh!t.

Jessie and Al want to drive the races apart, that is what they do, they feed off of divisevness, they want friction, they want more and more Don Imus' to come along, that is their game, where would these two scum bag racist crooked bastards be without RACISM.
    If all racism were to end tomorrow Jess & Al would vanish, they would be forgotten, Jessie would have to back to work in the kitchen spitting in the Honkies food and little Al sh!t head would be unloading trucks for K-Mart.

Jessie Jackoff & Butterball Sharpton (The Reverands :singing: ) they LOVE Don Imus, Imus brought them back to life.
    Praise Jesus

13. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +911 / 7 / -3

I just read the article in it's entirety and must say, that guy is on point.

14. pats-blue

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Ok so it is ok for Al and Jesse because no one is there to take thier place? What about Cosby...you know why he isn't acceptable, because he doesn't want anymore inequality. Al and Jesse make money off of it thier entire lifestyles depend on racial strife.

OK "Brown Sugar" and Guns and Roses are comparable to "pimpin at the holiday Inn"? Here is a sample of that...believe me it is tame compared to many but I can post it here...by the way love the song but you really have to ignore the lyrics...

"Yeah, let the party begin, *****
    Ching-a-ling Ling, all the way in St. Louis
    My nigga Chingy, Disturbing Tha Peace
    Luda, Luda, going hard on you hoes
    Yeah *****, bring four of ya friends
    Meet me at the Holidae In
    Bring a gang of that Hen, some DSOP
    Oh wee, and light that sticky icky
    And we gone do the damn thing
    Now what I'm talking bout
    We gon' disturb the peace right now
    Yeah we ain't doing nothing but chillin
    We chillin' and nuttin'
    Know what I'm talking bout, so push the button
    You know what's happenin', fa shizzle, uh huh
    Yeah *****, trying to run from this pimpin'
    You can't out run the pimpin' *****, I done told you"

15. Patters

Ratings:
    +592 / 24 / -19

Cosby hardly has the charisma of Jackson or Sharpton, and has spoken in a way that appeals to white conservatives more than blacks. Besides, he's probably as old or older than Jackson and Sharpton and hardly represents a new face.

Jackson, especially, has been a pretty good person. His Rainbow Coalition has done a lot of good work in urban areas, bringing people of all types together. Sharpton, I know less about, but on most issues he's reasonable. He'll never gain real prominence in the Democratic Party because of the way he handled Tawana Brawley and Crown Heights, but he's reformed enough and has made amends enough to be as accepted in the Democratic Party in the same way Tancredo, a right wing extremist, is in the Republican Party. They have a constituency, and we're stuck with them, but at least on some issues they are fairly mainstream. There's a whole history of extremists in both parties.

I don't think those lyrics are any worse than Brown Sugar:

"Gold coast slave ship bound for cotton fields,
    Sold in a market down in new orleans.
    Scarred old slaver know hes doin alright.
    Hear him whip the women just around midnight.
    Ah brown sugar how come you taste so good
    (a-ha) brown sugar, just like a young girl should
    A-huh."

I don't know lyrics well enough, but I'm sure there are all sorts of awful songs out there. Check this out:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...Songs_containing_racist_content_in_the_lyrics

I agree sexist, racist, homophobic, etc. lyrics are a problem, and it's awfully decent of white people to try to help reform Rap music. But, perhaps their efforts would be better placed trying to reform all music, or at least just music by white people.

16. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +1,143 / 5 / -10

Honkie Song

You are my sunshine
    My only sunshine
    You make me happy
    When skies are grey
    You'll never know dear
    How much I love you
    Please don't take my sunshine away

17. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Sure.. and all he had to do was smear 3 completely innocent policement and ruin their lives with his false accusations of rape (among other, more horrific things) in the Tawana Brawley fiasco.

Oh, but ultra-partisan Patters is completely willing to look the other way in that case. As long as Sharpton keeps criticizing the right, he can make whatever false accusations, slander and lies he wants.

18. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +1,143 / 5 / -10

Honkie Rap Song:

You are my f-cking sunshine
    My only bastard sunshine
    You make my a$s happy
    When the f-cking skies are grey
    You'll never know b!tch how much I love you
    Please don't take my mother f-cking sunshine away
    Chorus

19. pats-blue

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Believe me if Brown Sugar is the best you can do I can find rap songs that cannot be even posted.

Love how you "it's awfully decent of white people to try to help reform Rap music" I think Us "White people" want the "Black leaders" to do that before or while they spend time trying to get some over the hill unfunny disc jockey fired for offending Blacks. I thought you didn't disagree with Whitlocks article. That is all anyone is saying but you can't seem to understand that, your playing tit for tat and unless someone can show you how a Black person said more bad things about White people in a narrow field it doesn't count. Just like WHITLOCK SAID rap music and Black comedians are more of a problem for the Black community than Imus could ever be. So I guess it isn't just us "White people". By the way Emiem is one of the worst rappers as far as lyrics of degrading people and is White. So I'm not sure how your "white" comment plays. If you can't see the negative influence rap has on society (Black especially, but also suburban kids White and Black in propagating a negative sterotype then you are blind) Hey I like Rap music but everyone here is saying why act like Imus is bringing African Americans down when Rap music does much much worse yet gets a pass while Sharpton is yelling at the top of his lungs about a crappy ill advised "joke". Hey Imus deserves what he is getting to a point, but let it go already and concentrate on things that have much more effect on hurting the Black community.

I agree Jesse isn't in Al's league but he IS still a hypocrite and publicity seeker (for himself) he does do some good I agree.

20. Patters

Ratings:
    +592 / 24 / -19

I am not defending Sharpton at all. I'm merely saying that there is no double standard. Sharpton is treated like any other politician. His extremists activities have marginalized him in the Democratic Party, just as Tancredo's extremist views have kept him at about 4% in the Republican race for president. We're stuck with these people because that's the nature of our political system. There have always been extremists in both parties, but like any politician, they do have some beliefs that are agreeable. I agree with Sharpton about the Iraq war. Many on this site agree with Tancredo about immigration.

My only point is that the claim of a double standard is mostly false, except in the sense that politicians are subject to a different set of rules than media celebrities like Imus.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.