PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Great video and article behind DJ Foster's draft day and his UDFA decision. MUST WATCH!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soul_Survivor88

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
At one point DJ Foster had agreed to stay home and join Cardinals as a RB, but then something changed...Bill Belichick called him.

Inside DJ Foster's NFL decision

NOTE: According to Mike Lyoko, DJ had the top Short Shuttle at the combine and the 4th best 3-cone. Ran mid 4.4s at his pro day. Definitely one to watch.

You knew it was the Pats all along like he said. He saw his buddy go and you could just tell. I know he was saying AZ but I think that was just a thought before he knew the Pats were interested. I think he has a real shot to make the team. I really do.

I'm feeling better and better about this draft class. It could be a hit out of the park draft.

I like that he said he knew it was the Patriots all along. Me too DJ. From Dec 2014:

Another RB name to watch out for is Arizona State's DJ Foster. He's a Jnr, but for a RB, that's almost as good as a Senior. I mention him for two reasons:

1. Here are Shane Vereen's numbers from NFL Draft Scout pre-combine:

5-10, 210 and forty range is 4.40 to 4.59 (actually ran 4.49).

Here's DJ Foster's

5-11, 205 and forty range 4.40 to 4.59

So similar size and maybe similar athleticism.

Which leads me to:

2. DJ Foster's receiving yards the last three years:

2012: 38 for 553
2013: 63 for 653
2014: 59 for 646

He played slot receiver in '12 and '13 because ASU had Marion Grice but he's been a RB this year and has over a 1,000 yds at 5.5 ypc.

An interesting Shane Vereen type prospect.

I've always liked him. Was a little disappointed he dropped weight and switched to WR but that versatility will help him with the Pats. Those reception numbers I quoted above were him playing as a RB. Three consecutive years with over 500 yard receptions whilst playing as a RB speaks to that versatility. I was thrilled by this signing.

this guy is already an underdog star
(its like he gets the attention of our 1st stolen pick)
is there any chance safely stashing him to PS?

ps
great video - great family atmosphere - so down to earth, calm, humble and emotional
the buda statue in the garden was confirming that feeling
how cool was the mother - first so emotional her boy stays home then celebrating the best opportunity for HIM
also liked girlfriend's presence (low-key, deeply supportive)
and if you add the grandmother video from before - you have a beautiful portrait of human being
(something true for a change - unlike HW trash and grotesque false reality shows)

and yes, dear mediots out there, character does matter a lot - since this is the ultimate team sport
(coaching can tame it but cannot change it)
and i am glad guys like Bill and Dante understand that so well
thats a big part of why i am pats fan (from a land far away)

ps2
I loved it the other day when Dante said - I have to like a player, thats my philosophy
(not just drooling over measurements like some coaches, GMs and owners)

ps3
deflating footballs (if you really want to believe that) gives you one game
going for character (and versatility) gives you 16 years and counting - in a league thats most unlikely to happen

Last edited:
According to the below interview, he visited the Patriots, something we didn't know previously.

Also, he lost his sister to an accidental overdose when he was 15.

Good stuff, had seen the video of him shedding a few tears when he called his Grandmother.. but this is quite cool.. what is not to like about him??? He might be my new "Pats Binkie"...

Huge leap going from a hometown team, to the NEP... the BB magic did it.

ps4
and oh yes, there certainly is a chance:

UDFAs projected on 2016 Patriots 53: Amendola, Butler, Hogan, Develin, Blount, Bolden, King, Allen, Coleman, Waddle, Freeny (Andrews, Kline)
+ ”garbage” rds: Brady - 6th; Edelman - 7th; Lewis - 5th; Slater - 5th; Ninkovich - 5th; M.Williams - 7th; Roberts - 7th; Ebner - 6th;
(and a bunch of other guys picked from the street when others dumped them)

so basically half of the team (and most of the offense) found in "garbage", many of them a key to Lombardi XLIX

Great video.

But.

I'm ****ing paranoid now.

Is that tampering by calling before the draft is over? I know everyone does it. But it wouldn't surprise me one bit to see the Cardinals and Texans get nothing, and we lose a draft pick for it.

So many sympathetic young men with so much invested, so many people willing them on ...

One of the reasons I'm proud to root for the Patriots is that they have a coach who knows that. BB always does what he thinks is best for the team, but, even when he makes tough decisions, he always treats his players with respect. (If you doubt that, go back to Chris Price's wonderful interview with T.J. Moe.)

He certainly has some very nice highlights. He looks pretty shifty and also has the ability to take a hit and stay upright. I think Bill will end up getting a lot of use out of his versatility.

Great video.

But.

Is that tampering by calling before the draft is over? I know everyone does it. But it wouldn't surprise me one bit to see the Cardinals and Texans get nothing, and we lose a draft pick for it.

No. You hear all the time teams talking to players about how they will possibly pick them here. Then they do or don't. They aren't under contract to anyone so you can tamper and call to your hearts content.

The NFL could try possibly but I don't see it even with as corrupt as the NFL is.

Last edited:
Great video.

But.

Teams call players before they draft them all the time.

Great video.

But.

You can't tamper with someone who isn't under contract.

Good stuff, had seen the video of him shedding a few tears when he called his Grandmother.. but this is quite cool.. what is not to like about him??? He might be my new "Pats Binkie"...

Huge leap going from a hometown team, to the NEP... the BB magic did it.

I own that "Fire Goodell" t-shirt and wear it proudly down here in NC.

Yep, I would like to see him win that job as well. White is a decent receiver buy he had shown no ability to run the ball effectively?

Seeing the blitz and learning to pick it up is an important attribute for a good running back, white is weak Lewis is good... I like White but this kid has charisma.. I dont know hope he is a better version of Vereen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down