PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Great trade stories from previous drafts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Easywolf32

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
I didnt know where to post this, remove it if you wish, just thought it was a good story. :D

20 years later, Cowboys' trade still reverberates - NFL - Yahoo! Canada Sports

20 years later, Cowboys’ trade still reverberates
By JAIME ARON, AP Sports Writer

IRVING, Texas (AP)—Jimmy Johnson has a challenge for anyone who believes the Herschel Walker trade singlehandedly turned the Dallas Cowboys into the dominant team of the 1990s.

“Trace it,” the former Cowboys coach said. “You can’t do it.”

Twenty years ago Monday, the Cowboys sent Walker to the Minnesota Vikings for a bundle of players and draft picks in what is widely considered one of the biggest steals in NFL history, if not all of pro sports.The legend has grown because Dallas went from 1-15 to three-time Super Bowl champions in just a few years. Sure there was a lot more to the turnaround, but there’s no doubt this deal was the catalyst.

“It was a once-in-a-lifetime thing,” said Charley Casserly, then the general manager of the Redskins.

[snip - please do not copy-and-paste full articles]

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice read. I highly recommend the book "Boys Will Be Boys" by Jeff Pearlman, gives a great insight to the Cowboys of that era. There could never be another team like that, not in the era of the internet and cell phone cameras, etc.

And just to lure you in, the opening chapter is about how Michael Irvin once stabbed a teammate in the neck with a pair of scissors.

Good article but I think posting the whole thing is a no no. Posting the link and some quotes from it are ok but the whole thing is a violation that could be trouble for Ian. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited:
Could Mangini be wittingly or unwittingly strengthening the Jets by the series of trades he made with them as coach of the Browns. Maybe be really loves New York.

I agree with Jimmy Johnson. He would have won a ring or more even without the Walker trade, because he would have made other trades, and he still had his eye for NFL talent. In a semi-related way, I think Belichick would have won a ring or more without Brady, since he knows how to draft and develop other QB's to play his style of quarterback.

I'll delete the copied story if the Admins here want to, or they can just go ahead and delete it I guess. I just posted the whole story as well because posting links only seems suspicious to some people and doesnt get read in the end...:eek:

Anyhow, I just thought that BB resembles or even exceeds what other past smart coaches like Bill Walsh and Jimmy Johnson have done in the past when it comes to the art of trading, drafting and knowing how to keep a franchise rolling with new blood year in, year out. I hope he is around for at least another decade.

Last edited:
Could Mangini be wittingly or unwittingly strengthening the Jets by the series of trades he made with them as coach of the Browns. Maybe be really loves New York.

Mangenius has been shopping Edwards,since the draft,with no takers>He's made it known that he wants Calvin Johnson-type money.This guy is TO-lite...........too many drops.I'd take Anquan Boldin,in a hearbeat,over this guy.Why the Jets didn't get an extended deal in place for Edwards,as a condition of the deal,is beyond me.Tannenbaum and Jabba the Hut have become the New Redskins......One-Hit Wonders,this year or bust.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back