PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Great Reiss' article on resurgent Pats D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ill make my bold prediction for the season.
By the end, if you make the assumption that scoring 24+ means the offense probably won the game for you and allowing 17 or under probably means the defense won the game for you (of course many games have both) This team will win the rest of the way, and through the playoffs more because of its defense than its offense.

I am not saying +24 or 17- are proof you won because of the o or d, just using that as a guideline that is trackable.

Thats mildly bold. I believe the D is flying under the radar and will become more of a force each week. Theres a terse Malcolm Butler quote from about 2 weeks ago when a reporter suggested the Pat's D wasnt getting respect,"our time is coming, we're coming".It seemed nobody paid it any attention-but i did. His tone was one of quiet confidence. Thats exactly how ive felt for a while-all of a sudden, people are going to wake up-maybe by the afccg-and realize this is a good defense. But I'll disagree with you only because i think the offense is going to really take off in a few weeks-once bennett is fully healthy and lewis is unleashed. Whats funny is, the patriots might be at their very best all year on both offense and defense by about first playoff game. Both are/have been reinventing themselves on the fly due to injuries or trades. I love it-it means everyone will be underestimating the Pats again.

As long as Jones is not (attempting) to field punts. Lack of dependability in that role is one way of losing games quickly. With DA out with high ankle strain, who fills that role now?
Do not want JE11 doing it as he takes enough hard hits already.
I bet we are going to see a lot of fair catches from Edelman unless one of the young receivers (Mitchell? Hogan?) has experience fielding punts.

I bet we are going to see a lot of fair catches from Edelman unless one of the young receivers (Mitchell? Hogan?) has experience fielding punts.
Fair catching isnt really Edelman, or BBs style.
I know fans want to send players out there in bubble wrap, or give them a month off so they don't get hurt before the playoffs, but BB doesn't believe in that.
If you step on the field you go full tilt full time, and you are actually more likely to get hurt if you play safe.
I think if you tell Edelman that he is going to return punts, but you are so scared that he could get hurt you don't want him to take that chance but you have no one else, so just go and make fair catches so you don't get hurt, you increase his chances of getting hurt.

Fair catching isnt really Edelman, or BBs style.
I know fans want to send players out there in bubble wrap, or give them a month off so they don't get hurt before the playoffs, but BB doesn't believe in that.
If you step on the field you go full tilt full time, and you are actually more likely to get hurt if you play safe.
I think if you tell Edelman that he is going to return punts, but you are so scared that he could get hurt you don't want him to take that chance but you have no one else, so just go and make fair catches so you don't get hurt, you increase his chances of getting hurt.
I must respectfully disagree. There are times in the past (someone was saying for example, when Troy Brown was older) when all the Pats do is fair catches on punts, even though I agree in general that the name of the game is full tilt, full time. Edelman hasn't been returning punts this year, so he's out of practice. I can see BB or Josh tell him, just go out there & catch it and don't fumble it. We can't afford for you to go down (they can't). Perhaps they would allow him to run if certain conditions exist (like no one is within 10 yards or something), but I don't think we should be expecting much of a return game this week.

I must respectfully disagree. There are times in the past (someone was saying for example, when Troy Brown was older) when all the Pats do is fair catches on punts, even though I agree in general that the name of the game is full tilt, full time. Edelman hasn't been returning punts this year, so he's out of practice. I can see BB or Josh tell him, just go out there & catch it and don't fumble it. We can't afford for you to go down (they can't). Perhaps they would allow him to run if certain conditions exist (like no one is within 10 yards or something), but I don't think we should be expecting much of a return game this week.
Hope you are wrong because a player playing scared might as well just skip the formality and go on IR.

And as far as the fair catch, I think what you are referring to is when BB would put Brown, or more often Welker in when THE GAME SITUATION AND FIELD POSITION dictated a fair catch. Welker used to replace Edelman on punts that would be inside the 10 and would almost certainly be fair catches. He has never called a fair catch return out of fear of injury.

Hope you are wrong because a player playing scared might as well just skip the formality and go on IR.

And as far as the fair catch, I think what you are referring to is when BB would put Brown, or more often Welker in when THE GAME SITUATION AND FIELD POSITION dictated a fair catch. Welker used to replace Edelman on punts that would be inside the 10 and would almost certainly be fair catches. He has never called a fair catch return out of fear of injury.
Who says he's playing scared? Since we can't afford to lose him, and he's out of practice, I'd say he and BB are playing smart. I look forward to seeing which one of us is right. Also, no need to YELL.

Who says he's playing scared? Since we can't afford to lose him, and he's out of practice, I'd say he and BB are playing smart. I look forward to seeing which one of us is right. Also, no need to YELL.
Not yelling, placing emphasis.
Sorry, if you tell an NFL player that he is going to return punts, but since it is so dangerous and we can't afford to lose you, then you have to only fair catch, you now have a player plying scared. He will get injured. In all the years I played the game no one would ever consider putting a player out on the field and telling him to just avoid injuries.

Not yelling, placing emphasis.
Sorry, if you tell an NFL player that he is going to return punts, but since it is so dangerous and we can't afford to lose you, then you have to only fair catch, you now have a player plying scared. He will get injured. In all the years I played the game no one would ever consider putting a player out on the field and telling him to just avoid injuries.
Oy, except that is not the only reason I have said there won't be much of a return game. The other is that Edelman is out of practice. Fair catches, all over the place. That is my prediction. If I'm wrong, great (as long as Edelman doesn't fumble or get hurt :)).

Yeah, I'm content with the defense. Doesn't knock your socks off, but they're doing something right.

On one hand, I get the argument: look at the QBs/offenses they've gone up against. On the other hand, this defense is tied for 2nd in points against in the NFL. Seems to beg the question, aren't they doing what they should be against them? How much better can they do in that department? The worst game the defense has played all season was against Russell Wilson, and there's no way the Seahawks are dropping 31 on this team again.

I guess what I'm saying here, they're #2 in points against after 3/4 of the NFL season. Not after 2 or 3 games... after 12 games. You could say i'm pleasantly surprised.

In hindsight we are probably 11-1 if BB decides to attack the weak Seattle OL and has Chung in the box roughing up Graham rather than an unnecessary double team.

That gameplan was a joke. It looks like a lesson was learned and that game has a chance to be a turning point reminiscent of Pats/Chiefs 2014.

I mean, imo it was our worst game of the year (failures in all 3 phases) and we were still first and goal on like, the 4 or whatever with a chance to tie. It's still an L but I'd bet we won't see a repeat of that performance the rest of the year.

I mean, imo it was our worst game of the year (failures in all 3 phases) and we were still first and goal on like, the 4 or whatever with a chance to tie. It's still an L but I'd bet we won't see a repeat of that performance the rest of the year.
you need to update the signature

Oy, except that is not the only reason I have said there won't be much of a return game. The other is that Edelman is out of practice. Fair catches, all over the place. That is my prediction. If I'm wrong, great (as long as Edelman doesn't fumble or get hurt :)).
Was your argument not that he should be told to call fair catches because he is too valuable to lose and they don't want him to get hurt?

Wow, the defense has played well the last three weeks, but to call it a resurgence seems a bit much. The Seahawks had their way with the Patriots, don't forget that drubbing too quickly. The Patriots defense has a long way to go to show that they are up to the challenge.

Think you missed some of the game, Hightower was out for awhile after a Fisher-special (chop block with apparent intent to injure). Luckily he's ok.

Body by Fisher.

Wow, the defense has played well the last three weeks, but to call it a resurgence seems a bit much. The Seahawks had their way with the Patriots, don't forget that drubbing too quickly. The Patriots defense has a long way to go to show that they are up to the challenge.

It was a one score game that ended on a play from the 1 yard line. Hardly a "drubbing."

They have a long way to go because they have played 12 games and 1 was bad and the other 11 they allowed 16 ppg.

I guess every team in the NFL had a long way to go to show they are up to the challenge.

In another one he made me aware that Rowe left the game with a hamstring problem that I hadn't seen reported by anyone else. This might be the game where we see more of CJones in the slot and Ryan back out as the #2.
Yes, another poster was kind enough to point this out to me as well, as I totally missed the Rowe injury and Jones reps.

They have a long way to go because they have played 12 games and 1 was bad and the other 11 they allowed 16 ppg.

I guess every team in the NFL had a long way to go to show they are up to the challenge.

Relax Andy, nobody's taking this D away from you.
If guys like Belichick and Lombardi were critical about it (and that was before the Seahawks game) .. I believe you can survive some critical or sceptical views here ..

Its a process, yes. A lot has happened since week 1 on this D, some drastic measures taken, personnel moved etc. (despite the luck of no major injuries). Last two weeks looked like its going in the right direction. BB himself confirmed. Now lets see if it sticks when the bar is set higher.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back