PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Great Reiss' article on resurgent Pats D

Status
Not open for further replies.

long distance

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Another great piece by Reiss that helps understand the backstage of defensive resurgence and also sheds a light to future expectations.

In one of the countless D threads around the bye week I envisioned the Scarnecchia scenario for fixing the D - deciding on the starting personnel (whoever that might be), sticking with them, gluing them together as a unit. Revolving door at CB stopped turning, BB & MP decided to stick with McClellin despite not showing up in games, added Van Noy in unimpressive trade in stead of Collins and put Roberts back to his comfort zone. (They also benched Sheard to send additional message in the aftermath of the Collins trade).
The schedule gave them 4 weeks to turn things around. It seems that's what they did.

The Seahawks game came simply too early. Now the D seems ready for the final stretch to fulfil some of the expectations from the preseason in terms of versatile personnel and surprising schemes. The timing looks to be just about right - Flacco is a good customer to try some more of this:
_
Quote:
This wasn't a blitz-heavy approach of regularly sending more rushers than the standard four. Technically, the Patriots only blitzed (defined as sending 5 or more rushers) seven times in the game. Instead, this was a game-plan of brilliant disguise, one that showcased the versatility and hybrid nature of the team's front-seven personnel.
In simple terms, the Patriots mostly rushed the standard four defenders but Goff and the Rams' over-matched offensive line never knew who was surging forward or dropping back, or who was stunting up front or simply executing a straight-up pass rush. That created the type of confusion that the Patriots' 2014 Super Bowl championship defense often generated, especially when facing a vulnerable offensive line.

Reiss' article: Patriots' D didn't exactly bring the heat, but won with brilliant disguise

_

And here's another important thing many of us were missing highlighted by Hightower:

"The past couple weeks, we've been growing together as a defense and just being able to trust one another and building that camaraderie to be able to know where each other is going to be," linebacker Dont'a Hightower said Monday on sports radio WEEI.
_

The camaraderie was more and more visible in the last three games. Now lets hope it sticks, grows and besides better energy brings also consistency.

Last edited:
In hindsight we are probably 11-1 if BB decides to attack the weak Seattle OL and has Chung in the box roughing up Graham rather than an unnecessary double team.

That gameplan was a joke. It looks like a lesson was learned and that game has a chance to be a turning point reminiscent of Pats/Chiefs 2014.

I enjoy getting the post game Reiss link because I can scroll down and get a bunch of past Reiss' posts while only giving BSPN one click. ;)

Something interesting to note from his article on snaps. Both Van Noy and McClellin had more than 10 snaps more than Hightower. Not going to make any inferences from this. Just thought it was curious. In another one he made me aware that Rowe left the game with a hamstring problem that I hadn't seen reported by anyone else. This might be the game where we see more of CJones in the slot and Ryan back out as the #2.

Something interesting to note from his article on snaps. Both Van Noy and McClellin had more than 10 snaps more than Hightower. Not going to make any inferences from this. Just thought it was curious.
It could be a case where they simply wanted to see how Van Noy and McClellin adapt to certain formations/packages. Gives team flexbility going forward knowing what they can do.

I enjoy getting the post game Reiss link because I can scroll down and get a bunch of past Reiss' posts while only giving BSPN one click. ;)

Something interesting to note from his article on snaps. Both Van Noy and McClellin had more than 10 snaps more than Hightower. Not going to make any inferences from this. Just thought it was curious. In another one he made me aware that Rowe left the game with a hamstring problem that I hadn't seen reported by anyone else. This might be the game where we see more of CJones in the slot and Ryan back out as the #2.
Think you missed some of the game, Hightower was out for awhile after a Fisher-special (chop block with apparent intent to injure). Luckily he's ok.

Hightower was hurt on that chop block. He returned to the game, but his snaps were limited as a result.

While we don't have an offensive juggernaut to face on the remainder of the season, next week should be a pretty good test for our defense.

I just checked their offensive stats: Roughly 1,100 yds rushing, 3,000+ yards passing. They've passed and completed enough to make it this far. Should be a very interesting climate for our defense to gain some more camaraderie: Stopping the run will be a bit easier as well as a lot of opportunities to intercept/generate a turnover. But most of all it will keep our DB's honest. The Ravens don't always get points on the board but their defense makes that OK.

I honestly kind of hope Raven's OLine isn't terrible so we can see if we can replicate the disguised-pressure we generated against the Rams. My biggest question is receivers having enough time to get open so I'd like to see how our defense performs against a relatively good offensive line.

Don't get me wrong, if their offensive line is absolute trash and we win, I will still be a happy camper :) I'd just like a diagnosis of where the defense is at in regards to the front seven.

The Rams were absolutely made to freaking order for the Pats this week. The game was almost like a scrimmage as it gave the team the opportunity to work on some things with the knowledge that they'd get the win pretty much no matter what they did. Good for confidence too.

I'd expect a great defensive showing against the Ravens, while it wouldn't surprise me if the offense sputters a bit as they get guys healthy and continue to figure things out post-Gronk. Might be an unusually low-scoring game.

As long as Jones is not (attempting) to field punts. Lack of dependability in that role is one way of losing games quickly. With DA out with high ankle strain, who fills that role now?
Do not want JE11 doing it as he takes enough hard hits already.

Calling the "resurgence" of the defense after a game against the Rams is as big of an exaggeration as to call this defense worse than the 2011's.

Great game, hopefully they can achieve the same results next week

Think you missed some of the game, Hightower was out for awhile after a Fisher-special (chop block with apparent intent to injure). Luckily he's ok.
Nah, he didn't miss a snap because of that typical Jeff Fisher like play. But it could have been a reason he might have been held out later in the game, once the game was in the bag.

I just thought it was an interesting note when I looked at it.

I certainly hope that the results are going to be better than that turd they put out there vs, Seattle - the first big test sine jettisoning Collins. This is going to be the second big test. They've looked better two weeks in a row but that's against the Jets and Rams. If the Ravens put the tires to them this weekend and can move with ease, I think it's officially time (for me at least) to worry about the unit going into the postseason.

I certainly hope that the results are going to be better than that turd they put out there vs, Seattle - the first big test sine jettisoning Collins. This is going to be the second big test. They've looked better two weeks in a row but that's against the Jets and Rams. If the Ravens put the tires to them this weekend and can move with ease, I think it's officially time (for me at least) to worry about the unit going into the postseason.

That's how I feel. Wasn't it Mike Lombardi who said the Rams Offense is at a high school level in terms of it's design? It's great to dominate the Jets and Rams, and you can only play who's on the schedule, but come playoff time we are likely to see a lot better offenses. Let's hope we are truly improved on D.

Calling the "resurgence" of the defense after a game against the Rams is as big of an exaggeration as to call this defense worse than the 2011's.

Great game, hopefully they can achieve the same results next week
The defense has had one bad game all season, so if there is a resurgence, it is since the Seattle game.

I believe that Jones played outside and Ryan stayed in the slot after Death Rowe went out. Could be a game plan thing that could change with a week to prepare. No news at all on Rowes injury yet, huh?

As long as Jones is not (attempting) to field punts. Lack of dependability in that role is one way of losing games quickly. With DA out with high ankle strain, who fills that role now?
Do not want JE11 doing it as he takes enough hard hits already.

I expect DJ Foster to be active. Its not a game to experiment but he showed speed, elusiveness in space. Unfortunately ball security could still be an issue (remembering last preseason game). Maybe White ..
But I will not be surprised to see Cyrus trying again ..

I agree. Anything but Edelman (at least at this point). Id prefer fair catching till playoffs ..

Nah, he didn't miss a snap because of that typical Jeff Fisher like play. But it could have been a reason he might have been held out later in the game, once the game was in the bag.

I just thought it was an interesting note when I looked at it.
Yes, that's why he missed snaps.

While we don't have an offensive juggernaut to face on the remainder of the season, next week should be a pretty good test for our defense.

I just checked their offensive stats: Roughly 1,100 yds rushing, 3,000+ yards passing. They've passed and completed enough to make it this far. Should be a very interesting climate for our defense to gain some more camaraderie: Stopping the run will be a bit easier as well as a lot of opportunities to intercept/generate a turnover. But most of all it will keep our DB's honest. The Ravens don't always get points on the board but their defense makes that OK.

I honestly kind of hope Raven's OLine isn't terrible so we can see if we can replicate the disguised-pressure we generated against the Rams. My biggest question is receivers having enough time to get open so I'd like to see how our defense performs against a relatively good offensive line.

Don't get me wrong, if their offensive line is absolute trash and we win, I will still be a happy camper :) I'd just like a diagnosis of where the defense is at in regards to the front seven.
The D is strong this season

The D is strong this season
Ill make my bold prediction for the season.
By the end, if you make the assumption that scoring 24+ means the offense probably won the game for you and allowing 17 or under probably means the defense won the game for you (of course many games have both) This team will win the rest of the way, and through the playoffs more because of its defense than its offense.

I am not saying +24 or 17- are proof you won because of the o or d, just using that as a guideline that is trackable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots