PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Great Piece on Devin McCourty by our friend Oliver Thomas

Status
Not open for further replies.
I posted this link in a couple of places, but it hasn't gathered any attention, so thanks for giving this its own thread. It's a very good read.

Reactions: Ian
It's a well made article but it just regurgitates what most of us already know. McCourty was inconsistent at CB but has been a stud at safety.

It's a well made article but it just regurgitates what most of us already know. McCourty was inconsistent at CB but has been a stud at safety.

There's still a certain small but vocal element of this board that still hasn't cottoned on to the bolded.

His inconsistent performance at left corner, along with his spot duty elsewhere, sparked questions leading into the 2012 season. Those questions would glean answers. McCourty started the first six games at left corner, notching 31 tackles, two interceptions and nine pass deflections.

In doing so, he looked to be regaining the confidence that had evaporated during his second NFL season.

Had to stop reading after that. Accepting "behind the numbers" analysis on McCourty's safety play from someone who blew the 2012 CB portion so badly would be folly. There's just no credibility there.

Excellent article, eventually those that refuse to see what has happened will come round.....

With all the press we're playing this year I like McCourtys 4.3 speed and sure tackling at center field. With our Improvements at corner, his job will be more clear with more opportunity for big plays. Could be wise to sign him now. He has had a full year to acclimate at FS and coupled with improved CB play he could really breakout this year. If he enters Earl Thomas league he gets more expensive.

It was not so long ago that many here were against the move to safety. The thing I observe about his play is that he's sort of the invisible man in the D. I mean, he makes the plays but he doesn't strike me as one that exudes fear. Man, I miss Rodney.

First off for this article you could switch the name of any NFL player and I would feel the same about the article.

Didn't think it was a good article at all. If your only going to show "Pros" and no "Cons" then it loses credibility and does not focus on the entire picture of McCourty as a safety. Where are the clips from the Colts playoff game and the 1st quarter of the Denver playoff game? A good writer would acknowledge there have been some not so great moments at safety too. Another poster did a great job with a chart of where McCourty ranked and several rankings had him low and some did not have him listed at all, but the writer chose to only highlight the one chart where he was ranked the best. Why not the full picture of all the charts?

Also the line of BB now has enough confidence to now run a single high safety with McCourty. My question to the writer would be have you spoken to BB and has he told you this directly. Maybe what your looking at is not the full story and how do we not know they possibly could have been caught in that defense, but it worked out. Speculation is another word for made up.

Just switch the player to Payton Manning and only focus on how out great he looked in the regular season, but don't mention the Super Bowl. To do so is cheating the reader.

My favorite player of all time is Barry Sanders and I could write an article showing only great highlight long runs and how great he is. To be truthful I am fully aware that Sanders had a ton of negative runs with a ton of negative yards.

My problem is with the writing not the player.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey