PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Great news! Wendell is back!

Status
Not open for further replies.
It should be easy to move a center like Stork or Andrews to guard right? Aren't they almost the same position minus the line calls and snap?

It should be easy to move a center like Stork or Andrews to guard right? Aren't they almost the same position minus the line calls and snap?
No, but I believe it has been discussed that one or both of these guys played a fair amount of guard in college

No, but I believe it has been discussed that one or both of these guys played a fair amount of guard in college

Well, Wendell did it. In fact, I think he is a better guard than a center. Connolly also played both for us. Nick McDonald did as well.

Stork has experience at guard; Andrews has always played center going back to high school. But if Stork gets healthy, IMO he's the starter and Andrews sits as the backup. With all due gratitude for the job Andrews has done, Stork is the best center the Patriots have fielded in a long time.

At guard, with Wendell, Kline, Jackson and Mason to choose from...absolutely no clue!

Not sure if its because of the team's "platoon" approach at RG/LG and finding more favorable matchups or its his overall improvement but Kline has been just fine so far.

I'm glad Wendy is on a good path health-wise but....I really don't think they need him right now. He could be an inactive next week vs DAL.

Yeah, and we have no idea what conditioning he needs in order to get back on the field. It could take days, or it could take several weeks.

If he is ready before Stork returns, the most obvious thing is to give Andrews some relief, as he's the one guy that's been playing every down. The guard rotation is providing both productivity and the development of the young players, and it would be understandable if the coaches don't want to disturb that anytime soon.

Yeah, and we have no idea what conditioning he needs in order to get back on the field. It could take days, or it could take several weeks.

If he is ready before Stork returns, the most obvious thing is to give Andrews some relief, as he's the one guy that's been playing every down. The guard rotation is providing both productivity and the development of the young players, and it would be understandable if the coaches don't want to disturb that anytime soon.

Curious to see if/when Stork is available if they play around with the C rotation. Last time they played around with a C rotation was when Woody & Mike Compton were here. In that dynamic, the only reason that they did that was because Woody couldn't snap out of the shotgun.

To those asking about Stork and Andrews' positional versatility: I think Stork has played a small amount of G in college, and Andrews played exclusively C in college as far as I've read but he did get looks at G here in camp and the preseason. No idea how either of them fared away from C.

I'm pretty certain, though, that when Stork gets back he'll be playing pretty much start to finish. He's too good not to.

I think you make stork center but leave Andrews active each week. That way if an injury happens at guard or center, you have stork to play a guard position and or Andrews to be the backup center.

I think you make stork center but leave Andrews active each week. That way if an injury happens at guard or center, you have stork to play a guard position and or Andrews to be the backup center.

I'm fine with having Andrews active as a backup center. I'm not fine with moving Stork to guard if there is an injury among the FOUR starting quality guards.

I assume he will replace Kline as the veteran who rotates in for the rookies.

I presume that is because rookies should be played whether or not they are the best choice.

Has Mason been playing better than Kline?

Has Jackson been playing better than Kline?

Well, Wendell did it. In fact, I think he is a better guard than a center. Connolly also played both for us. Nick McDonald did as well.
I like that Nick McDonald gets included in there

I'm not fine with moving Stork to guard if there is an injury among the FOUR starting quality guards.

In the very rare chance that this would happen, who would you play at G then?

In the very rare chance that this would happen, who would you play at G then?

C - Stork, Andrews
G - Kline, Wendell, Jackson, Mason

The point is that we have players who are better at one position than another. I don't know the depth chart at OG. Stork is our center. He need not be in the guard rotation. Even with two injuries, I am not sure that Stork would be moved. I think that we would stay at center.

C - Stork, Andrews
G - Kline, Wendell, Jackson, Mason

The point is that we have players who are better at one position than another. I don't know the depth chart at OG. Stork is our center. He need not be in the guard rotation. Even with two injuries, I am not sure that Stork would be moved. I think that we would stay at center.

Got it. I misread your original post, as if ALL FOUR of the guards got injured, rather than one or two of them. And I agree with you.

I feel like he is going to start at center on sunday

There was a time when people shuddered having wendell in the lineup.

His weakness is dominant NTs. Thankfullly those either don't exist or are a lot older now (Wilfork, Ngata). That was only when he played Center though. He's a very capable Guard. Great in pass protection and savvy against the run.

Wendell listed as PROBABLE on today's injury report

There are plenty of snaps for all. Spread 'em around. It will pay off in December. :D

This! A million times this!

A lot of times you see teams that get lots of injuries early doing great come playoff time when their starters get back. I believe this is because of "fresh legs" and also developed depth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes