PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Great move on Stallworth but are we morphing into the Yankees?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fanfrom1960

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Maybe that's what coach Bill was doing in the Yankees camp, i.e., trying to get some advice on how to handle it if you don't win every single game. Don't get me wrong, I like the move, but now the pressure is on, to win it all, just like it is on the Yankees every year. Get 'er done!

I really wouldn't have a problem competing for a championship every year. it's a level playing field - everyone has the same amount of cap to spend.

Maybe that's what coach Bill was doing in the Yankees camp, i.e., trying to get some advice on how to handle it if you don't win every single game. Don't get me wrong, I like the move, but now the pressure is on, to win it all, just like it is on the Yankees every year. Get 'er done!

The pressure is always on to win it all. Especially after winning 3 of 4 Superbowls. If anything, they're acting like Dan Snyder's Redskins. The big difference though is that the moves the Patriots are making actually make some sense...

Patriots/NFL with salary cap. Baseball/Yankees/Rd Sox without salary cap. No comparison can be made.

dude, i know you are from the 60s by your handle, but have you heard of the salary cap? and did i hear you complaining about trying to win every year?

this thread is bogus

I dont know but Belichick was with Cashman and Torre this week:eek:

We have been getting 2nd-tier FA's for so long, so now it's time we dip into the primary FA pool and use the cap room of which we have plenty. Whereas many teams are strapped for cap space and are having to restructure back-loaded contracts, we are paying high-quality FA's with generally non-backloaded contracts. The Pats have a team that is mostly complete, so with our cap space why not bring in some big-gun Pats-type players?!!? Yankees? No. Yankees aren't limited by a cap. They are only limited by what Georgie wants to spend!

The Yankees haven't gotten anywhere since 2000.

Patriots/NFL with salary cap. Baseball/Yankees/Rd Sox without salary cap. No comparison can be made.

A-Rod's salary alone should put an end to comparisons:bricks:
In another thread someone said "We are the Redskins with a brain". At least they're in the NFL.

This is no different than 2003 when got Colvin, Harrison, and Poole. THIS year, we get Thomas, Welker, & Stallworth. I hope none of THEM breaks their hips. :D

dude, i know you are from the 60s by your handle, but have you heard of the salary cap? and did i hear you complaining about trying to win every year?

this thread is bogus
I said I liked the move, twice, and I like all the other moves the Pats have made this off season. As for the salary cap, I worked on it with Al Gore, so I know all about it. :) Just saying that now we are going to be hearing that the Patriots have the best coaches, AND players, and are going to be expected to win it all.

After getting up in CA and reading 9 pages on the move for Stallworth, thought I'd throw in another twist.

More like the Red Sox... still big spenders but not insane.

These threads are dumb....

We had a ton of money under the cap and are spending it on players who will contribute...... Would you rather they did not spend money so people can say the same uninformed garbage like they did last year reference not spending money and being under the cap?

Last edited:
The Yankees haven't gotten anywhere since 2000.

Exactly right. Anyone can open up the check books, but the Patriots have shown that ability to spend intelligently and effectively. The same cannot be said of the Yankees. They have spent close to $1.5-2 BILLION since 2000 and have no championship to show for it.
Also, as stated astutely above, baseball is a poor barometer for any other sport to compare by as the Players Union will never allow a salary cap. If it weren't for the Sox, I'd stop watching.

Last edited:
Either the Pats spend too much or Kraft is cheap. Which one is it?

If they dont feel the pressure to win it every year it's time to get out of the business.

These threads are dumb....

We had a ton of money under the cap and are spending it on players who will contribute...... Would you rather they did not spend money so people can say the same uninformed garbage like they did last year reference not spending money and being under the cap?
So 10, make it 11 pages of people slapping each other on the back is all we should read here? I'm saying be prepared for Joe Buck types saying stuff like how can the Patriots ever fall behind when some team kicks an early field goal.

I like the move. I like the move. I like the move. I like the move.
I like the move. I like the move. I like the move. I like the move.

The glaring difference between us and the Yankees or the Redskins is we aren't overpaying for talent, including those we re-sign that we drafted and those we acquire on the FA market. Even Stallworth's deal if it is in fact in the $30M range has an AAV of $5M. For a #1 WR, that's not top 10 money. Branch signed a year ago for an AAV of $6.5M. Welker's deal is a relative bargain for what Troy represented in his heyday in this market. AD is the top end for LB's, but clearly not for long in this market. The key to cap management is not overpaying, and if Stallworth can put up Branch like numbers, and he's exceeded that in the past, we got a deal. If Thomas performs at borderline pro bowl level and even approaches double digit sacks, we be scary good. If Welker just has the same year he had in Miami, we've got Bingo again.

The Yankees and Redskins over the last several seasons have not engaged in team building, just overpriced talent collection. So far I see no hint we've even dabbled in anything resembling a bidding war or pre-emptive strike for any of our talent. We've simply offered them what we feel they are worth, and they've by and large accepted. Those who didn't like what they heard have moved on.

Maybe we are turning into the yanks but I am ok with that because that would mean we have 20+ titles coming r way. You cant compare spending because the pats work with a cap but maybe we are on our way to catch them in titles.

still smokin

More like the Red Sox... still big spenders but not insane.

I don't know if I like that comparison either.

I think the Red Sox spent a ton on unproven talent such as JD Drew, Lugo, and Matsuzaka.

I know that this isn't news to most of the sophisticated fans on this board, but if you study the way the Patriots operate, I think these moves make perfect sense for them. Their normal operation is to build primarily through the draft, and get economical production from players in their rookie contracts that normally last 4-5 years. When the contract expires, the Patriots either try to re-sign them at a reasonable or slightly below market value rate, or they let them go and try to replace them from the draft. The problem comes with positions that normally take 3-5 years to learn. With the Patriot system, one could argue those positions are quarterback, wide receiver, and linebacker. They are of course set at quarterback, but last year they ended up with problems at the other two positions. Although linebacker is one of the fastest positions to learn in most systems, it is exceeding complex in the Patriot system, and almost nobody starts in their first or second years. Thus, of their current linebackers, three were traded for or signed as free agents (Colvin, Vrabel, and how Thomas). The exception that proves the rule was Bruschi, who was slowly developed in house. A similar situation is true to a lesser extent for the wide receiver position. With the exception of intelligent, fast learners such as Deon Branch (who the Patriots really did not expect to shoot his way out of town), most Patriot receivers take 2-3 years to be able to learn the position. Hence, it seems to me that this year they have decided to restock the hard-to-learn positions of receiver and linebacker via high priced acquisions in free agency (Thomas, Stallworth) and trades (Welker, although his contract was reasonable). I suspect they will primarily continue to stock other positions via the draft or low-cost, lower tier free agents.

Agree, disagree? Any feedback for a first time poster?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes