PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Great item from profootballtalk.com on Manning

Status
Not open for further replies.

SoonerPatriot

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Finally, people are getting hip to what he's really all about....

8. Peyton Shows His Naked Butt And Rectum.

We've long believed that Colts quarterback Peyton Manning is a big, bolted-neck phony. He says and does all the right things, for the most part, when the cameras are on and folks are watching. But it's our opinion that, in his heart, he's a spoiled brat who thinks he's better than everyone else.

Finally, he has given us something concrete on which to base these beliefs (apart from the allegations of Jamie Ann Naughright).

Actually, he gave us two.

The first one came late in the third quarter of Sunday's loss to the Steelers. Facing fourth and two from their own 36 and trailing 21-3, head coach Tony Dungy sent in the punt team.

And Manning sent them back.

It was one of the worst examples, in pro sports history, of disregard for the office of the head coach. Dungy is the head coach, for crying out loud. Manning is the quarterback.

Yeah, we know that most quarterbacks have the ability to call audibles. But that's part of the authority that the head coach specifically has delegated to the quarterback. No head coach ever has given the quarterback the power to decide whether to go for it on fourth down.

In this case, Manning showed that he regards himself as bigger than the coach -- and that's a big problem.

As one league insider explained to us on Sunday evening, too many players on that team genuinely love Dungy. And Manning blatantly violated Dungy's role. It could create serious problems in the locker room moving forward.

The second bit of evidence came after the game, when Manning tried to explain away his inability to get the passing game going by throwing his offensive linemen under the buffet table: "I'm trying to be a good teammate here. Let's just say we had some problems with protection."

Actually it was a slam on both the blockers and the coaching staff, since the coaches have a pretty big role in keeping the defenders out of the quarterback's face.

"This is on a new level," one league insider said. "This guy is a selfish SOB."

Amen.

hahhahahahahah

man, that was great

we've known that for years

of course, all we get is these moron Colt fans blabbing ad nauseum about their hero,Pay-Me-tons and his gaudy regular season stats.

well

You know if the dolts had come back to win the game,,,,,,the media whores wouild be all over PM sending the punt team off the field as a "great leadership moment" and "taking the team on his back"!!! We'll see if the ballwashing starts back up next season!

his interview was SO flippin funny. He was stuttering for literally 30 seconds and then threw his O-Line under the bus.

Correct me here if I am wrong, but isnt part of the machinations that Manning does at the line setting the protection?

It sounds more like he is saying he called the right protections and they just didn't block, which is different than what I have heard analysts say, which is that the schemes were bad.

Manning is never going to win a SB. The reason is that Manning wants Manning to win a SB, not the Colts. Very Marino-esque, but once again, as both have done throughout their careers, the season ends in a game where the QB underperformed.

One thing that has escaped comment, at least that I have seen, is the idea that the kicker blew the game. But since when does having the ball with 3 timeouts and 1:01 left at your own 42 mean that getting the K to a 46 yard FG is a good job by the supposed team leader and best player?
Why is that missed FG not on Manning shoulders for not getting it closer? He had 2nd and 2 and 3rd and 2 and got nothing.

Get it to the 15, and any K makes it every time. Is 'driving' 43 yards in 1:01 with 3 timeouts too much to ask from a supposed superstar with the season on the line? Is getting it in the end zone to WIN instead of go to OT too much to ask?

I think in the clutch Manning plays to be blameless rather than to win a game. Just my opinion, but I think thats why he never comes through in big games.

Given the choice of letting it ride on the K from 46, and OT, or throwing to the end zone and needing to be hero or goat, I think Manning chooses the kick.

I heard Boomer on EEI this morning talking about that situation with the punt play... He said that Dungy is on record saying that he was the one who called on Manning to go for it on 4th and 2 and that the punt team just knee jerk assumed they were going out because it was 4th down

I don't know how plausible that is, and didn't see that play myself

Interestingly they talked about the Colts CB who recovered the Bettis fumble as well, making the point that had he simply run to the right he would have had clear sailing all the way to the end zone

there'd be a very different conversation going on today if that had happened!

Maybe the Colts fans should say, "Cut that meat! Cut that meat!"

AndyJohnson said:
Correct me here if I am wrong, but isnt part of the machinations that Manning does at the line setting the protection?

It sounds more like he is saying he called the right protections and they just didn't block, which is different than what I have heard analysts say, which is that the schemes were bad.

Manning is never going to win a SB. The reason is that Manning wants Manning to win a SB, not the Colts. Very Marino-esque, but once again, as both have done throughout their careers, the season ends in a game where the QB underperformed.

One thing that has escaped comment, at least that I have seen, is the idea that the kicker blew the game. But since when does having the ball with 3 timeouts and 1:01 left at your own 42 mean that getting the K to a 46 yard FG is a good job by the supposed team leader and best player?
Why is that missed FG not on Manning shoulders for not getting it closer? He had 2nd and 2 and 3rd and 2 and got nothing.

Get it to the 15, and any K makes it every time. Is 'driving' 43 yards in 1:01 with 3 timeouts too much to ask from a supposed superstar with the season on the line? Is getting it in the end zone to WIN instead of go to OT too much to ask?

I think in the clutch Manning plays to be blameless rather than to win a game. Just my opinion, but I think thats why he never comes through in big games.

Given the choice of letting it ride on the K from 46, and OT, or throwing to the end zone and needing to be hero or goat, I think Manning chooses the kick.

You listed a great indication of why Manning's approach has the liability that is indeed why the 'Colts' choke. And that is, when they needed to set up for a field goal FIRST to insure that they could at least tie the game, instead Manning threw passes on 2nd and 3rd down going for his glory. This is part of his egotistically self-centered style. If they had run James on those two downs or flared him out in a screen, they almost certainly would have gotten a few yards that would have given Vanderjerk a different feel for the FG attempt. It's nice to see one more concrete confirmation of why his arrogance is his downfall in the end.

JoeSixPat said:
I heard Boomer on EEI this morning talking about that situation with the punt play... He said that Dungy is on record saying that he was the one who called on Manning to go for it on 4th and 2 and that the punt team just knee jerk assumed they were going out because it was 4th down

Interestingly they talked about the Colts CB who recovered the Bettis fumble as well, making the point that had he simply run to the right he would have had clear sailing all the way to the end zone

I think Dungy is just covering up for Manning there. Dungy didn't call the punt team back as they ran by him, and if you saw his facical experssion when Manning sent them back, you knew it wasn't his call.

If Manning did that on a Belichick coached team, I would say that he would be looking for a new employer in the offseason, salary cap hit permitting. That is the difference between Dungy and Belichick.

JoeSixPat said:

If you saw that play as I did you would know that Dungy merely followed his QB's lead and threw his punt team under the bus to defelect criticism of either himself or Manning. IT WAS BLATENT. Dungy looked like he'd been kicked in the nuts but decided to just curl up in the fetal position back on the sideline and hope the pain would subside. As the TV guys said, he gave in with the understanding that it was then on Peyton to own the decision. They were half right.

As for Harper, Ben was on his right. I truly think the hand of God was at work in that one - classic case of good battling evil. If Harper got past Ben you might have seen the first case of a lightning bolt penatrating the RCA Dome and nailing the lone guy running through Steelers territory resulting in a forward fumble careening through the endzone. Steelers ball on the 20 (as we all know is the rule). ;)

They ripped Peyton a pretty good one last night on Playbook showing a clip of him turtling away from a hit that was still seconds away and throwing a floaating incompletion five feet in front of his receiver who was coming back into position for an open throw. Gutless.

emoney_33 said:
I think Dungy is just covering up for Manning there. Dungy didn't call the punt team back as they ran by him, and if you saw his facical experssion when Manning sent them back, you knew it wasn't his call.

Agreed. Dungy had a very perplexed look on his face. I wish someone did that to Ditka or Chuck Noll.

gomezcat said:
If Manning did that on a Belichick coached team, I would say that he would be looking for a new employer in the offseason, salary cap hit permitting. That is the difference between Dungy and Belichick.

Very true, although I don't think Brady would EVER disrespect BB the way Manning disrespected Dungy.

There is nothing the Pats could have done this offseason that would have made winning a Superbowl more difficult for the Colts than what Manning himself did to Dungy.

The Gr8est said:
Very true, although I don't think Brady would EVER disrespect BB the way Manning disrespected Dungy.

QUOTE]

I don't even want to think about it.

gomezcat said:

Hey, Drew got asscanned in Buffalo for insubordination because he failed to honor his coaches decision on which goal to defend on a losing coin flip. Of course in Drew's case his decision also proved costly.

Bottom line if your HC subornes his own players insubordination, you don't really have a HC. Just an enabler desperate to ride a players coat tails.

Dungy is not a good HC, but he is perceived as a good man beloved on a personal level by most of his players. Peyton may face repercussions from them for what they perceive as an insult to their HC regardless of the fact that the play panned out. Because just like every year in the Manning 8 year era, the franchise failed to deliver and lead them to anything but another embarrasing defeat. They have ample additional reason to turn on the franchise given his own play compounded by his piss poor comprehension of what a good teamate is. I didnt hear any of his teamates say we had some problems deciphering defensive schemes and getting the right protections or adjustments called at the line - which we've long been told is Mannings job by choice. But you might yet hear some rumblings in that direction in the days and weeks to come.

Hey, but at least Manning saved 2 timeouts to use in the offseason.

CT_Pats_Fan said:
Hey, but at least Manning saved 2 timeouts to use in the offseason.

LMAO! Didn't they use one of them on the kneel down when they could not have stopped Pitt running down the clock?

gomezcat said:
LMAO! Didn't they use one of them on the kneel down when they could not have stopped Pitt running down the clock?

they used em both on the kneel down just to delay the inevitable lol

The Gr8est said:
There is nothing the Pats could have done this offseason that would have made winning a Superbowl more difficult for the Colts than what Manning himself did to Dungy.

That's the thing. Also, with regard to the comments he made about the O line- who is really going to want to bust their arse throughout the offseason, endure training camp and take all the hits that they take, when you have a QB that undermines you in the way he did? Can you imagine how much he would whine if he played at Houston?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes