PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Great inside Joke on Bostonsportsmedia.com today!

Status
Not open for further replies.

shmessy

Phoenix, AZ/Retired
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Let's see if any "gets" the seemingly innocuous first line of today's Bostonsportsmedia.com report:

http://www.bostonsportsmedia.com/

"Yesterday was a day for the Patriots."

I think you're reading into it too much...

All I think it means is that it was a good day for the team?

Last edited:
drew4008 said:
I think you're reading into it too much...

All I think it means is that it was a good day for the team?

Wrong. Someone else will get it.

:wha:

Last edited:
As I wrote - it's a SEEMMINGLY innoccuous line - but there's a context to it - and a target for it.

Last edited:
shmessy said:
As I wrote - it's a SEEMMINGLY innoccuous line - but there's a context to it - and a target for it.

I feel like Chris Slade or a golf ball or NEM.

I hate intelligent life.

Because the Boston media paid some attention to the Patriots instead of the Sox???

OK, here's a hint (because Patsacolachick is getting warm):

The line is a personal dig at someone.

NEM said:
The word "surprise" indicates that no one expected him to be there.....and that perhaps even BB did not know..... and maybe we are reading too much into him really being ready to go.

"Surprise" doesn't appear in the line I'm specifying.

The line is "Yesterday was a day for the Patriots".

Last edited:
shmessy said:
"Surprise" doesn't appear in the line I'm specifying.

The line is "Yesterday was a day for the Patriots".
OK, give it up now! I need to get in the car for 7 hours and am curious about this. Don't make a brother wait.

This must be a real inside joke. It is so far inside nobody gets it.

OK, everybody who wrote (a lot of us from here did) Boston Globe Sports Editor Joe Sullivan last year complaining about their ignoring the Patriots got this very infamous boilerplate retort from Mr. Sullivan:
________

I'm sorry we disappointed you. The Patriots didn't play yesterday (Sunday), it was a day for the Red Sox and the Saints plus the US Open. If you think the Pro Jo and Herald has more coverage on the Patriots, you're mistaken. We've have (sic) many more pages than either paper since training camp opened in August. - Joe Sullivan, Boston Globe Sports Editor, via email to reader, 09/12/05
_________

To the many of us who received this e-mail (and it is still publicized on bsmw.com in its rotating infamous quotes box on the upper left side) the "Yesterday was a day for the Red Sox...." line became sort of the touchstone quote for the Boston Globe's organizational arrogance against the Patriots (and FOR the baseball team of which it's out of town parent is a 17% owner).

When Bruce Allen led off today with "Yesterday was a day for the Patriots", it was a not-so-subtle media dig at the Globe.

BTW, I still feel a pit in my stomach when I remember the day that Mike Reiss crossed over to work for Darth Vader.

Last edited:
shmessy said:
OK, everybody who wrote (a lot of us from here did) Boston Globe Sports Editor Joe Sullivan last year complaining about their ignoring the Patriots got this very infamous boilerplate retort from Mr. Sullivan:
________

I'm sorry we disappointed you. The Patriots didn't play yesterday (Sunday), it was a day for the Red Sox and the Saints plus the US Open. If you think the Pro Jo and Herald has more coverage on the Patriots, you're mistaken. We've have (sic) many more pages than either paper since training camp opened in August. - Joe Sullivan, Boston Globe Sports Editor, via email to reader, 09/12/05
_________

To the many of us who received this e-mail (and it is still publicized on bsmw.com in its rotating infamous quotes box on the upper left side) the "Yesterday was a day for the Red Sox...." line became sort of the touchstone quote for the Boston Globe's organizational attitude towards the Patriots.

When Bruce Allen led off today with "Yesterday was a day for the Patriots", it was a not-so-subtle media dig at the Globe.

BTW, I still feel a pit in my stomach when I remember the day that Mike Reiss crossed over to work for Darth Vader.
Thanks. I guess I could have waited for that...

Last edited by a moderator:
Man, shmessy, all I can say is you've got a deep mind and a long memory!

Wow. That'll show them.

Yesterday, all Miami's fantasies were swept away.
Rodney's back and there's Hell to pay.
Football coverage won the day.
Oh, I believe in the Belichick way.

Yesterday, Globe sports was just a bird cage page.
Solomon's going and Mike Reiss is center stage.
Despite themselves the Globe will be the rage.

Why Borges had to blow, I don't know, he's cursed that way.
He wanted Terrel to play, how he longs for an Al Davis day.

Yesterday, Felger's tirade hit a Borges' note.
But Rodney's back and that's all she wrote.
Today it's Pats' Fans who get to gloat.

H'mm mmm mmm mm, Belichick way.

Then there were those who believed he'd be on PUP well into the season (he knows who you are, too)." Dan Pires, Standard-Times

OK! Which one of you rat bastards gave Rodney my name?

Don't quit yr day job.

PatsWickedPissah said:
Then there were those who believed he'd be on PUP well into the season (he knows who you are, too)." Dan Pires, Standard-Times

OK! Which one of you rat bastards gave Rodney my name?
He beat it out of me - check my new sig by the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back