Welcome to PatsFans.com

Great historic moments in Republican history

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Patters, Aug 29, 2010.

1. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +169 / 4 / -4

2. Patsfanin Philly

Patsfanin Philly Rookie

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0

#95 Jersey

Then I guess we should include these shining Democratic moments
    YouTube - The Bombing of Osage Avenue, Philadelphia - May 13, 1985
    Bomb dropped by Democratic Mayor of Philadelphia Wilson Goode on a compound killing 11, destroying an entire city block.
    ---------------------------------------------------
    YouTube - Waco Slaughter 1993 (caution: some disturbing images)

A Democratic President orders the ATF and his Attorney General to forcibly remove David Koresh from his compound. The result was 75 people killed, 21 of them children….

The irony of your posting is that Hoover wanted to give the veterans their bonus but Congress refused to pass the legislation. Four years later Congress overrode an FDR VETO of the bill in 1936 to give the veteran’s their bonus 10 years early!!!!
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2010
  3. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +126 / 7 / -13

4. Patters

Ratings:
    +169 / 4 / -4

5. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +598 / 4 / -12

#87 Jersey

1961 bay of Pigs Invasion ... epic fail.

1975 Democrats cut off aid and promised air support ... epic fail.

The Jimmy Carter Presidency ... epic fail.

Bush Term ... Democrats in Congress keeps approving war effort in exchange for pork ... epic fail.

Obama Presidency ... epic fail ... where's the birth certificate?

I see dead people ... I see a closed thread.

:bricks::bricks::bricks:
  6. Patters

Ratings:
    +169 / 4 / -4

Except for Bay of Pigs, those are not really great moments; they're just sweeping generalizations. Perhaps you should start a thread called, "Sweeping generalizations about Democrats"? ;)

As far as 1975, we were already out of Vietnam, Congress cut off air support for attacks on Cambodia, and considering that we had already dropped more bombs than we did during WWII and that Cambodia was not who we were at war with, I think that was a reasonable act by them.
  7. IcyPatriot

Ratings:
    +598 / 4 / -12

#87 Jersey

would I IcyPatriot formerly F.B.N. ever make a generalization about democrats. :nono: .................. :rofl:
  8. scout

scout Rookie

Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

The occupancy of the Presidency is the most fascinating position in the United States. What sets each President apart from one another is what they do in a crisis and what happens due to their agenda. I believe Herbert Hoover was a brilliant man. His misfortune was timing. People blame him for the Great Depression which is somewhat wrong. He actually fought for restrictions on banks and the stock market which led to the GD. His belief in small government was what the country did not need to get us out of that depression. I was not aware of the disturbance with the vets at DC. That was wrong and is probably overshadowed by the previous discussion.
    Bay of Pigs, seriously? How about the Cuban Missile Crisis. How about all the previous Presidents all the way back to Abraham Lincoln who did not blink about the injustices and horrific actions committed against blacks. The Civil Rights movement was set in action by JFK. You can ***** and moan about welfare or affirmative action, but his action to begin legislation to ban discrimination was historical, absolute, and nothing comes close to this action by any President in the last 100 years. ( since someone brought up Attorney Generals, I'll give you RFK's fight against the Mafia).
    Being a teenager and "witnessing" the cold blooded execution of unarmed college students for demonstrating still puzzles me. Does someone actually want to ya but "Waco" or "Ruby Ridge" as comparisons?
    I am disappointed in FDR for the imprisonment of our Japanese during WWII. What I don't understand is how someone from the right can be so critical of that as we recently declared so many Iraq's guilty, dropped Habeas corpus, and imprisoned many at Gitmo without trial, in THIER country. This, after a preemptive strike on a country for the first time in our history. We went to war against a country, and still do not have the reason for doing so.
    You can get mad all you want, you can rant about birth certificates or a lunatics boarded up in Waco, but don't downplay greatness, and don't ever forget the brutal injustices which our Presidents played a role in.
  9. STFarmy

STFarmy Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Both parties do crappy stuff, and both parties have done good stuff. I'd wager this pattern continues until the end of America. To try and a have pi$$ing contest about it seems a tad counterproductive...
  10. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +353 / 1 / -9

Attention Loons:
    Bloodbath coming, November 2010.

OUT WITH THE IN
    VOTE EARLY
  11. IcyPatriot

Ratings:
    +598 / 4 / -12

#87 Jersey

I'd like to get excited about it Harry ... but ...

Let's face it ... the people running are the people pretty much selected by their states parties endorsement. without that you can't raise the proper funds. So they run with the parties blessing and it's all patronage they've build up anyways.

Then the guy / woman gets in and they try to bring funds in to their state. But you can't bring funds in if you're a rogue ... so they go along to get along and they become part of it all. Perhaps they sponsor a bill that helps kids, education or welfare along the way but they don't tackle the big problems like the bloated deficit ... none of them want to.

the more pork you get the more a hero you are.

Murtha for all the crookedness of him brought many jobs and $$$ to his district.
    We have Patrick Kennedy ... he along brings headaches to Rhode Island.

and so it goes ... and goes ... and goes ... and goes ......... :scared:
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2010
  12. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +344 / 6 / -8

Oh, Harry's got a point. It's the whack-jobs versus the formerly relatively sedate thieves and pigs in the GOP primaries, and the whack-jobs are making inroads. The thieves and pigs are tripping over themselves trying to rebrand themselves as loonies to get the votes.

And if that's a reflection of America come November, we will have a whole different crop. It'll be whack jobs slowly growing into their comfortable thief roles, rather than thieves attempting to re-brand themselves whack-jobs.

I believe it was Michele Bachman who, when asked if a Republican majority in the house should use its subpoena power, answered "I think that's all we should do."

:rocker:

Really?

From the day they lost the 2008 elections, the GOP has not proffered a single new idea, and neither have the doofus brigades in the tea parties. Not a scintilla of enactable public policy has been suggested. They spent the early months of this presidency trying to steal it by disqualifying the other guy ex post facto.

And for the next 2 years, the program is to rake the muck in hopes of winning in '12... not to have a program of their own, mind you. Just opposing mindlessly and reflexively every policy, good and bad, not even by opposing policy... but by looking for a Linda Tripp somewhere.

I am not sure how much stomach America has for the right wing extremists in the general elections. We shall see.

I can tell you without a doubt that it'll be a turn for the worse if they actually win anything. They're not trying to do anything for the country... their program, if elected, is to set up for the 2012 elections -- and to stagnate all progress in the interim.

PFnV
  13. PatsFanInEaglesLand

PatsFanInEaglesLand Rookie

Ratings:
    +87 / 6 / -10

#37 Jersey

Democrat ideas since the 2008 election: tax, tax, tax, tax, tax, tax, spend, spend, spend, spend, spend.

Tea Party idea: Don't!

Sounds good to me.
  14. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +353 / 1 / -9

We need new whack jobs all over America, those grinning Pelosi Rats have to be replaced, when they start going against the will of the people who elected them they should be thrown out.
  15. khayos

khayos Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

This November is going to be awesome!
  16. Patsfanin Philly

Patsfanin Philly Rookie

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0

#95 Jersey

Sorry but, as they say in the House, I have to respectfully disagree with my colleague from Virginia. Rep. Paul Ryan the senior Republican on the budget committee ( he was the one who crunched the numbers on Health Care reform and asked the President a few questions about the total cost only to be told paraphrasing here "I don't want to get tied up in numbers")
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-lxg7XrF6I
    and a numbers wonk has proposed a roadmap to budget reform and spending reform. (link below). The choices are not easy to swallow but necessary and yes they are new ideas...........

A Roadmap for America's Future | The Budget Committee Republicans
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2010