PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Great Guregian Column on Camp

Status
Not open for further replies.

PushnPencils

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
I liked this part:

"Best rookie: This one might be a toss-up. The easy answer is running back Stevan Ridley, a third-round pick who was an on-time arrival. There’s no doubt the LSU product runs hard. He also catches the ball pretty well out of the backfield. The more you see, the more you like.

But the same can be said of tight end Lee Smith. The word on the fifth-round pick was he was a blocker extraordinaire. That part is true. What’s been just as impressive is his ability to catch the ball. So the heir to Alge Crumpler has got game."

Attention campers - BostonHerald.com

Always like to hear that a 5th round pick is that impressive..

Another young stud at TE...why the heck not?

EDIT: This part is pretty good too : " Most dominant player not named Albert: When he’s practiced, defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth has been a beast, flipping offensive linemen around like pizza dough. He’s been dominant, but the sample size is small.

If you want the clubhouse leader in this category, say hello to Rob Gronkowski. From Day 1, no one has been able to defend the second-year tight end. He’s made every defender look overmatched and overwhelmed. Although he was darn good last season with 10 touchdown catches, he may easily top that this year. "

Last edited:
Not to mention the bit about Taylor Price starting to gain Brady's confidence. When it comes to Pats WRs, that's what matters most.

I'm a Karen G. fan, but we keep hearing here what a good camp Eric Moore has had, and her article states that both Moore and Cunningham haven't done much in camp. What is up with that?

Another young stud at TE...why the heck not?

EDIT: This part is pretty good too : " Most dominant player not named Albert: When he’s practiced, defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth has been a beast, flipping offensive linemen around like pizza dough. He’s been dominant, but the sample size is small.

If you want the clubhouse leader in this category, say hello to Rob Gronkowski. From Day 1, no one has been able to defend the second-year tight end. He’s made every defender look overmatched and overwhelmed. Although he was darn good last season with 10 touchdown catches, he may easily top that this year. "

What I'd like to see BO and TB do with Gronk is exploit his height. There were situations last year when the O stalled at times and needed a critical 3rd down. I felt and said so at the time that the Patriots had this 6' 6" kid who had height that nobody could defend yet they didn't exploit it when they could have and should have. The Patriots need to think vertical passing game when it comes to Gronk. The guy would be unstoppable.

Yes, excellent column -- compliments to KG.

What I'd like to see BO and TB do with Gronk is exploit his height. There were situations last year when the O stalled at times and needed a critical 3rd down. I felt and said so at the time that the Patriots had this 6' 6" kid who had height that nobody could defend yet they didn't exploit it when they could have and should have. The Patriots need to think vertical passing game when it comes to Gronk. The guy would be unstoppable.

True that but they did exploit his height and ability in the red-zone. I think this is just a question of getting more experience and a better chemistry with Brady.

I don't know how many people remember this but alot of people were pissed with gronk after the CLE game and were even asking him to be benched. He definately improved during the later part of the year and i believe we will see a heavy dose of Gronk this year.

The Patriots need to think vertical passing game when it comes to Gronk. The guy would be unstoppable.

In the NFL, "vertical passing game" normally means taking shots downfield. I assume you mean, though, to think in terms of putting the ball up high where only GRONK has a good chance of coming down with it?

Camp effort can translate to preseason and regular season games....it's tough to just turn it on when it counts....especially at skill positions...

Like what I'm hearing about Ridley and Smith....hope to hear more about Haynesworth tearing up the OL.....get in football shape and destroy opposing teams OL and QB....

Cunningham has to show something this year or he's on my bust train...

COME ON JERMAINE !!!!!!!!

There's always a chance at a steal when you pick yourself an SEC RB. Hope Ridley tears the competition up this year.

There's always a chance at a steal when you pick yourself an SEC RB. Hope Ridley tears the competition up this year.

:agree:

pats1__1226275445_4793.jpg

I'm a Karen G. fan, but we keep hearing here what a good camp Eric Moore has had, and her article states that both Moore and Cunningham haven't done much in camp. What is up with that?

That article doesn't mention Moore at all. And Cunningham's struggles in camp this year have been well documented. Really good read from Karen G. she's starting to climb up MY ladder of respectable Pats journalists.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes