PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Great Explanation of Ryan & Trash Talking on Deadspin

Status
Not open for further replies.
I buy it and don't buy it.

I buy that Rex was playing the disrespect card all week.

I don't buy that Rex had the plan laid out like this guy said it.

If he had, then the plan would have worked similarly in the previous game when the same exact stuff happened.

The Patriots may have wilted mentally in the game--probably out of disbelief after their incredible self-inflicted wounds (interception, dropped TD, punt fake)--and the Jets got all the momentum.

Same thing in the previous game, when the Jets made boneheaded errors, and things just snow-balled.

Psychology was in the Jets favor, I agree, but I think of it as a very small factor.

I was about to dismiss the whole Welker benching thing until Wilfork piped up and said he disagreed with it. He also said it wasn't a reason for the loss--but if he's disagreeing, you know it had some impact. But Belichick is old school, and he wasn't going to have it no matter how important the game. BB might want to consider that it's a new generation, and though he's the coach and wants to do things the old school way out of respect for the game, his much younger players are of a different mind--even Brady downplayed the seriousness of what Welker said prior to the game.

I understand why Belichick did it, but I don't think it's worth it for a coach to stand on such a principle when he can NEVER get that principle across to his players. It's an old school thing. Rex's trash talk accomplished something, for sure, and that was the Welker benching.

I buy it a lot.Its the Jets version playing the disrespect card that use to work all the time for the Pats.
Welker comments that I thought were funny was really the Pats blinked first.
The minute Welker became a cute smart ass, the Jets were up on them.Pats jumped offsides (so to speak) That showed weakness and don't think the Jets didn't make hay out of it.
Welker deserved his chastising..he wanted to use his quickness with the press instead of on the field.

Part of the reason we don't win like we use to is on our back is because of the success.... everyone gunning for the Pats.From media to excoaches helping the other team. And all the new players don't quite get it.
Which is the reason why BB tore down the old pics.(Make your own damn legasy).
Pats don't sneak up on anybody anymore.And the young players are paying the price.Mayo,Butler, Chung all 0-2 in playoffs.
But teams are chasing the 14-5 Tom Brady and BB.

Last edited:
Rex is getting way too much credit for the so-called "trash-talking" strategy. The only good thing I could say came from it was by deflecting some sort of attention on his young, and IMO overrated QB. He should however get credit for his defensive gameplan which was executed very well by the coverage they were giving the Pats receivers thus flustering TB12. That's what it came down to, execution, plain and simple. For the umpteenth time there were several key points in this game that could've easily turned this into a Pats win by multiple scores had the execution been flawless like it had been through the last 6-8 games of the season. Youth was served and hopefully they learned and can apply it as experience next time. If Pitt. is on their game, then I don't see how the the Jerks walk out of there with a win.

Rex is getting way too much credit for the so-called "trash-talking" strategy. The only good thing I could say came from it was by deflecting some sort of attention on his young, and IMO overrated QB. He should however get credit for his defensive gameplan which was executed very well by the coverage they were giving the Pats receivers thus flustering TB12. That's what it came down to, execution, plain and simple. For the umpteenth time there were several key points in this game that could've easily turned this into a Pats win by multiple scores had the execution been flawless like it had been through the last 6-8 games of the season. Youth was served and hopefully they learned and can apply it as experience next time. If Pitt. is on their game, then I don't see how the the Jerks walk out of there with a win.

I totally agree with this.

Patriots made uncharacteristic mistakes, which allowed the Jets the luxury of totally dismissing the Patriots running game.

The Jets have become the Raiders of the East. Brash, trash talking thugs. I really beleive this is the way Rex Ryan is. A brash, trash talking thug who, no offense, may be a brilliant defensive mind, but is pretty dumb about other things...like say, posting your wife's pictures on a swingers site while working for the Baltimore Ravens.

Last edited:
That's what it came down to, execution, plain and simple. For the umpteenth time there were several key points in this game that could've easily turned this into a Pats win by multiple scores had the execution been flawless like it had been through the last 6-8 games of the season.

I kept thinking before the game that a loss in December (like they often have had in Miami) would have led to better execution. It seemed like after the Cleveland game they coasted through most of their games and maybe got complacent. They always seem to get really motivated after a loss which carries through for several games.

Nate Jackson, a former NFl player is writing some great articles over at Deadspin. Read his take onthe whole Rex-Trash Talking-media Whoring show that went on last week....

The Meaning Of "**** Tom Brady," And The Genius Of Rex Ryan's Trash-Talking

Says Ryan played the BB 2001 style "Disrespect" card to his Jets (another thing of BB's he ripped off)

:rofl:

Yes, Bill Belichik invented the "Disrespect card" and Ryan stole it from him. Also, Belichik invented the forward pass (which Ryan stole), the defensive line (which Ryan stole) and the tackle (which Ryan stole). Goddamn thief, that's what Ryan is! :bricks:

The Jets have become the Raiders of the East. Brash, trash talking thugs. I really beleive this is the way Rex Ryan is. A brash, trash talking thug who, no offense, may be a brilliant defensive mind, but is pretty dumb about other things...like say, posting your wife's pictures on a swingers site while working for the Baltimore Ravens.

Really, Garb? You went there?

And yeah, that's Rex all over. A thug. What with his arrests for . . . um . . . the nasty way he treats people that make them want to come play for him . . . uh, wait . . .

Never mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back