PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Great defensive scheme

Status
Not open for further replies.

Willie55

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
This was old school Belichick, take away what they do best, and let them beat them with what they have left. It was obvious the Pats wanted to stop the Eagles running game, especially Leshon McCoy. The ground game that led the NFL in yard per game at 168 yards a game. Today the ended up with 73.

The Pats could care less if Vince Young, who ended up with 400 yards plus passing, passed the ball all over the field, the way to stop the Eagles was stop the run.

Defensive effort was pretty good but too many big plays.

When you choose to take something away you are forced to leave yourself vulnerable in other areas. All in all the D played great. Clutch on 3rd down and good in the red zone.

I hated the bend but dont break stay in your lane soft defense until I realized it was going to work lol. I think I was a beleiver at about 31-13.

But, but the Patriots defense is last in YPG.:cool:

When you choose to take something away you are forced to leave yourself vulnerable in other areas. All in all the D played great. Clutch on 3rd down and good in the red zone.

the two big passing plays were more on execution/mis-communication as opposed to scheme related.

Perhaps. But when P Adams, Molden, Edelman, and such are key backfield contributors - what is it exactly more that we can expect ?!?

Excellent defensive effort vs a talented group.

On one they were in an obvious 2 deep shell. There was no doubt that Philly or more so Andy Reed's plan was to take a shot deep middle whenever he got one of those looks. He kept taking those shots early until they mixed the look. The play following that second deep pass over the middle, they went back to a single high look and it wasn't there any more. So I think the coaching staff did an excellant job of limiting what Vince Young could really do. Which I'll admit is'nt much.

the two big passing plays were more on execution/mis-communication as opposed to scheme related.

Exactly. Guarding against the "big play" is vital to the bend-but-don't-break philosophy as I understand it.

And except for a couple plays that stand out more than they would otherwise due to coming at the start of the game, I'd say they pretty much succeeded.

Perhaps. But when P Adams, Molden, Edelman, and such are key backfield contributors - what is it exactly more that we can expect ?!?

not much, hopefully we can grab a bye and get some people back Healthy come playoff time.

Not sure how anyone could complain about today's defense. Goal line stands and 3 and outs with a defensive backfield of Adams, Molden, and an college qb turned wr filling in db.

This setup well if we ever do meet the Packers in the Super Bowl.

Great scheme will be required a la' SB XXXVI.

This setup well if we ever do meet the Packers in the Super Bowl.

Great scheme will be required a la' SB XXXVI.

why do people around here act like the Packers are already locks for the Superbowl? I don't know how allowing Vince young to throw for 400 yards equates to success against Rodgers at all either.

why do people around here act like the Packers are already locks for the Superbowl? I don't know how allowing Vince young to throw for 400 yards equates to success against Rodgers at all either.

The Packers are strong - and in a crazy year, they are clearly the best team in the league.

Having said that : I'm with you - there are teams out there (NO comes to mind) that can beat them in the playoffs. Hell - the NYG might beat them before the playoffs...

i did not get to watch todays game, i do agree i dont think the packers will make it to the SB

Congrats to the defense.

The defense was asked to stop the top run offense in the nfl without Chung, Spikes and Fletcher. They did. Mayo was back at MLB. White and Guyton got lots of reps.

The defense was asked to stay back in coverage the entire game, with no McCourty. The defense did that with subs Adams, Molden, Edelman, Moore and Brown (and regular starter Ihedigbo).

What exactly does "if" mean?

Ever hear of SB XXXVI? A certain playoff game in Foxborough last January?

Having a great gameplan in a one game situation works pretty well. The guys have to execute it.

This was old school Belichick, take away what they do best, and let them beat them with what they have left. It was obvious the Pats wanted to stop the Eagles running game, especially Leshon McCoy. The ground game that led the NFL in yard per game at 168 yards a game. Today the ended up with 73.

The Pats could care less if Vince Young, who ended up with 400 yards plus passing, passed the ball all over the field, the way to stop the Eagles was stop the run.

Old school BB was good to see and it worked well too:rocker: Leshon's awesome but yesterday not so much:singing:

The Packers are strong - and in a crazy year, they are clearly the best team in the league.

Having said that : I'm with you - there are teams out there (NO comes to mind) that can beat them in the playoffs. Hell - the NYG might beat them before the playoffs...

Any team that can generate a monster pass rush with a 4 man front can shut down a great passing offense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes