PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Great article; Was Eugene Wilson injured last year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shakadave

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Two things about this Felger article.

1) It's great, in that Wilson is unusually candid and informative when talking about what the trouble was in last year's secondary, from his perspective.

2) Strangely, the caption under Eugene's picture says "A knee injury to Eugene Wilson last September changed the way he played the game. (Herald file)" Then the article has no mention of this injury!

http://patriots.bostonherald.com/patriots/view.bg?articleid=143116

Last edited:
shakadave said:
Two things about this Felger article.

1) It's great, in that Wilson is unusually candid and informative when talking about what the trouble was in last year's secondary, from his perspective.

2) Strangely, the caption under Eugene's picture says "A knee injury to Eugene Wilson last September changed the way he played the game. (Herald file)" Then the article has no mention of this injury!

http://patriots.bostonherald.com/patriots/view.bg?articleid=143116

I'm sure they meant that Harrison's knee injury changed the way Wilson played, not that Wilson himself was hurt. Though I'm sure he wasn't 100% last year from that broken arm in the Superbowl. You could see that he had his upper arm wrapped for most of the season.

He supposedly played with a knee injury from fairly early on, but that wasn't what butchered his stats. It was playing that really deep safety position like Lawyer Milloy played the year before he left. Lawyer claimed that the Pats purposely chose to put him out of the play so he couldn't earn his stats, while Wilson simply viewed it as a way to help a bad, bad secondary situation, at the expense of being more involved at the line of scrimmage. Basically, he was way back in the deeper parts of the field, to make up for bad cornerbacks.
Wilson is somewhat injury prone but also a talented player and I expect him to make more plays as the defense gets better. He is too quiet to be a 'leader on the field', but that's okay! He will play closer to the line of scrimmage once our corners cover better and pass rush actually gets pressure on the Q.B. The new D-coordinator sounds like he is more experienced and aggressive then Mangini. I think Pees will be an upgrade as a coach!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down