PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Great article on Moss/Pats

Status
Not open for further replies.

NE39

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
From John Altavilla of the Hartford Courant.

Gets me very excited about Moss joining the team.

Love these quotes:

"The leaders there will take charge [of Moss]," Jennings said. "Who were the leaders in Oakland?"

"There might be a long learning curve to begin with until they get to know each other," said George Martin, the former Giants defensive tackle who spent 10 seasons [1979-88] with Belichick in New York. "And even though Randy has a less than stellar reputation, I know him to be a fierce competitor who can make a great contribution, if he puts his mind to it.

"But Bill has amassed 25 years of experience dealing with players and he will draw upon that in dealing with Randy. He will handle this situation accordingly. And I can tell you that the Patriots have established a very definitive corporate philosophy and methodology that will not change."

"This will be Randy's 10th season in the league and we all know that you can't play forever," said Vikings center Matt Birk, who entered the league with Moss in 1998. "But when you have the talent, there's always someone who will give you a chance no matter how long your rap sheet is. I haven't seen or talked to Randy in two years [the Vikings traded him to the Raiders in March 2005], but I've always felt he was pretty smart guy. He plays the role of the fool on purpose to lead people on.

"He's also not one who makes it a point to break rules or disobey orders just to show you who the boss is. When I've seen him make poor behavioral choices on the field, they were during times when he was clearly frustrated. He's an awesome player, there's no doubt. But football is a team game and you rely on your teammates to help you succeed. I'm sure at this point of his career, he couldn't ask for a better opportunity than joining that franchise."

I agree, Moss isn't an egomanic like Terrell Owens, he seems to just make poor decisions when he is frustrated. I don't imagine the Pats losing too many games, so I am positive Moss will be a model citizen.

I have very little concern about Moss. So he's a bad loser - so am I - but I don't think we'll need to worry about that too much. He's very talented, works hard and is very competitive . . . where's the problem ?

As far as learning the offense, obviously he and Stallworth will need to do that but, it's not as much of a concern as last year because Moss and Stallworth can just win the physical matchup. Last year Caldwell and Gaffney (and Gabriel before him), had to work hard to get open and had to do it completely within the concept of the offense. Moss and Stallworth will still have to be in the right place, of course, but even as they're learning the details of the offense and getting in synch with Brady it will be far easier to work them into productive WR as they can simply beat CB with speed (both) and size (Moss). By the end of the season they'll be a fine tuned machinge, early in the season it'll be much easier to get them open than it was last year - also, of course, all the WR are here in May unlike last year when just Caldwell and Brown were.

Hope he's right. My fear is that it's been so long since Moss put in the kind of offseason effort to play at a Patriots' level that he's forgotten how hard he's going to have to work to deliver on what he's been saying. Doubtless why the Patriots kept their options open until September.

Hope he's right. My fear is that it's been so long since Moss put in the kind of offseason effort to play at a Patriots' level that he's forgotten how hard he's going to have to work to deliver on what he's been saying. Doubtless why the Patriots kept their options open until September.

huh???? In 2005, he put up 60/1005 (close to 17 ypc). I'm sure he didn't go in out of shape to his new team then. Those are rather pedestrian numbers for him, but daaaaaaaym. We could use production like that this year. He'll be jacked to play here and usually a change of scenery is GREAT for past malcontents. Hell, even TO wasn't that bad in his first year at Philly. He'll be fine. Not sure I'd want him long term, but it looks like the FO wasn't either. His offseason work will be fine, I'm sure.

Last edited:
I have very little concern about Moss. So he's a bad loser.... -

That really is the critical insight when it comes to Randy Moss and his past "bad behavior". From all reports he has NEVER been a bad teammate. From all reports he is a FIERCE competitor. I believe that since he's been in the league EVERY misstep he's made was because he is immature (mooning Packer fans) or as a bad reaction to losing (walking off the field with a few seconds left on the clock).

That is why I am so hopeful that Randy will do well here. As I have mentioned before, he is a great player, but a FOLLOWER. He has gotten into trouble when he's been put in situations of leadership. Here he won't have to worry. I have heard a couple of times, that Randy needs structure. Well, here the staff is not only very structured, but the lockerroom will be too. It will allow Randy to be Randy, as long as he is working hard and adhering to the TEAM concepts already established.

OF course this move helps improve the Patriots at WR, but IMHO, the Patriots will do more to help Randy Moss resurrect career and reputation, than Randy will ultimately help the Pats (he is JUST a WR ya know. ;) ) This was perhaps the best decision HE has made in the last 10 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back