PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Great article on Branch situation

Status
Not open for further replies.

JR4

In the Starting Line-up
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
This really a fun read .... Kalle Oakes has a way with words.
Very enjoyable read yet makes some profound statements.
I wish I could hand deliver it to Deion.

Enjoy :)

http://www.sunjournal.com/sports/local/20060820128.php

I love this one

"... Bill is the vine here. Everybody else is merely a Branch." :rofl:

Last edited:
How good Deion is is a matter of dispute, but to call him "little more than a fair to middling receiver" is grossly unfair. Ask Tom Brady.

Mike the Brit said:
How good Deion is is a matter of dispute, but to call him "little more than a fair to middling receiver" is grossly unfair. Ask Tom Brady.

Good point. I agree with others that he is at the level of Reggie Wayne.
Certainly better than your average receiver.

893 yards of total offense in two pre-season games, I don't think the offensive production is helping out his cause much!

a fair to middling number 1 is exactly what he is.

"Yes, he is a Super Bowl MVP. So are defensive backs Larry Brown and Dexter Jackson, both of whom disappeared from the radar screen so quickly that I'm expecting to see them surface as NFL Network studio analysts any second now.

Branch's individual honor in the Big Game With The Roman Numerals was more a concerted effort by the media to be different and give the award to someone other than Tom Brady than anything else. His 11 catches against the Philadelphia Eagles and 10 versus the Carolina Panthers in back-to-back Super Bowls reflect Brady's command of the big stage. It's impossible to know what they really tell us about Branch.

Compared to the rest of Branch's career, those numbers stand out like Randy Moss at a Fellowship of Christian Athletes convention. Branch's average National Football League season in his four years out of Louisville: 53 catches, 686 yards, four touchdowns.

Decent numbers. Alvin Harper numbers compared to Michael Irvin. John Taylor numbers compared to Jerry Rice. Not the kind of numbers that should persuade the dominant team of the decade to slide the chips to the center of the table and begrudgingly mutter, "all in."

Branch is not in Wayne's area code. Nor for that matter do we need our #1 WR to be. Deion's strength is as a cerebral WR. Not necessarily a highly portable skill in the NFL though as there are not that many cerebral offenses and even fewer QB's capable of running them. Most need help from a big, strong, fast, beats coverage kind of WR with dominant physical skills and durability, and that is something the twig will never be. He landed in the optimum situation for maximizing his finesse skill set, and while he gets credit for working hard at holding up his end early, his response now is to thumb his nose at it. Brady can adapt to life without Branch easier than Deion will adjust to life without Brady.

Fair to middling WR may be harsh, fair to middling #1 is not. But take him out of this system and away from this QB and he might just morph into precisely that.

"After all, this is New England. This is the franchise Belichick built. To express the equation in Biblical proportions, Bill is the vine here. Everybody else is merely a Branch."
Nice line...

A very good article...I like hsi style..he does say it all..

from the story:
Branch is under contract, though. Far as we know, he wasn't cornered, held against his will and forced to autograph that legal document. So it's time to man up, play, show the world he is that good and reap the benefits next spring.

That sums it up right there.

mgcolby said:

I agree - and in principal therefore he should be expecting no more than 1a type money... and I agree with the Front office pricipal of not paying more than he's worth

breaking that principal could wreak havoc in negotiations with other players

the problem is, given the inflated NewCBA salary cap - its really really tough to guage what fair market value is.

I would think that the Patriots can overpay (and right now we can afford it) and still retain the ability to say they didn't pay him more than he was worth

I mean how far apart are the two sides?

JoeSixPat said:
I agree - and in principal therefore he should be expecting no more than 1a type money... and I agree with the Front office pricipal of not paying more than he's worth

breaking that principal could wreak havoc in negotiations with other players

the problem is, given the inflated NewCBA salary cap - its really really tough to guage what fair market value is.

I would think that the Patriots can overpay (and right now we can afford it) and still retain the ability to say they didn't pay him more than he was worth

I mean how far apart are the two sides?

I see your point about the inflated cap numbers but how can you come to a middle ground if one side is so insulted by the initial offer that he ends the negotiations without giving a counter offer. The pats could have agreed to say a 7 mil a year deal and use the salary cap as an excuse but I don't think that is likely at this point.

Outstanding read!

Thx

MoLewisrocks Branch is not in Wayne's area code. Nor for that matter do we need our #1 WR to be. Deion's strength is as a cerebral WR. Not necessarily a highly portable skill in the NFL though as there are not that many cerebral offenses and even fewer QB's capable of running them. Most need help from a big said:
Mo - Compare Reggie Wayne numbers and Deion Branch numbers and you find they are actually very close. Close enough for me to say to you, that yes, Deion does indeed deserve RW money. The only difference is RW waited until his 5th year was completed and Deion is trying to skip over the 5th year.

I think had the agent come back with a counter, the Pats would have done the same and this whole rotten situation could have been avoided.

fgssand said:
I think had the agent come back with a counter, the Pats would have done the same and this whole rotten situation could have been avoided.
And one has to ask WHY the agent has bot come up with any counter offer...Must be a reason?? I have a feeling this was all planned out..I wonder IF there already is an offer for Branch on the table from another team. It will be interesting when he does go FA he quickly he signs... It is a bit suspicious with no counter offer at all..

Pats726 said:
And one has to ask WHY the agent has bot come up with any counter offer...Must be a reason?? I have a feeling this was all planned out..I wonder IF there already is an offer for Branch on the table from another team. It will be interesting when he does go FA he quickly he signs... It is a bit suspicious with no counter offer at all..

Certainly smells of an agenda here doesn't it. The fact that Jason Chuyat said Deion would play. IF, we drop the tag next year only adds to your theory. He obviously feels Deion makes more on the free market as opposed to NE. The agent wants to tuck it to NE for not getting him off of the hook for the contract he had his client sign - that being the 5 year deal.

This whole thing really blows and I think NE is being smart to let it play out - one fact remains, the road to free agency goes through our front office, at least through next year and even one more if we really want.

Last edited by a moderator:
mgcolby said:

That's not what he said. There's a difference between a fair to middling physicist and a fair to middling Nobel prize-winner.

Awesome article!!

And while I'm not into conspiracy theories, in this case I would not be suprised if branch and his agent were in touch with another team. It is the only way to make sense of branch's actions.

I imagine it woud have to be someone willing to hugely overpay him. The bills seem dumb enough to do that, and of course the skins have made overpaying players an artform. I don't know who else. Even though Mangini has inside info on branch, I don't think he would overpay for him.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why did Branch's agent make that statement about the franchise tag?????

Hard to imagine BB paying Branch that much.

Gopats!!! said:
Awesome article!!

And while I'm not into conspiracy theories, in this case I would not be suprised if branch and his agent were in touch with another team. It is the only way to make sense of branch's actions.

I imagine it woud have to be someone willing to hugely overpay him. The bills seem dumb enough to do that, and of course the skins have made overpaying players an artform. I don't know who else. Even though Mangini has inside info on branch, I don't think he would overpay for him.

"It is the only way to make sense of branch's actions."

It does make sense if you look at it from that angle.

If his agent has a Reggie Wayne deal in place for about 40 Million then
why not hold out. I mean why risk injury more than necessary. If true
then almost any reasonable offer by the PATs would not be accepted.
But things change. Come FA next year that mystery team could say
hit the road jack we got something else. Never know. :)
What's that old saying
............ a bird in hand is worth two in the bush.
Deion .... not too smart .... end your hold out and do the right thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down