PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Gramatica coming back as 2nd Kicker on team?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PATRIOT64

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
I heard on Sirius Radio today thats its a possibility that the patriots may resign Gramatica as a second kicker on the team now since Indy is releasing him today and Adam is now ready to go for the Colts,maybe if Gostkowski has more problems they might need Martin again and get him before he goes elsewhere? - I would not know who the team would release to make room for him but it seems like an extra roster spot is more important for other areas of the team and 2 kickers at this point would be waste of a roster spot.

Huh, I don't know how I feel about having two kickers on the roster. I do know how I feel about Gostkowski having to kick a game winning fg for us though and that's not very good.

I doubt if they have any evidence other than their own analysis and speculation. Gostowski has to get through his yips period, and the earlier in his rookie season he does so, the better.

Alk said:
Huh, I don't know how I feel about having two kickers on the roster. I do know how I feel about Gostkowski having to kick a game winning fg for us though and that's not very good.
Yeah,You would think if Gostkowski is ever going to get better,Having a backup kicker on the team might dampen his spirits,confidence and morale even more so than if he missed say, 3 FGs in a game and adding pressure on to the pressure of making long FG kicks regularly which he needs to connect on soon (Patriot Nation Continues To Hold Their Breaths on Long FG Tries) .

I'm sure what you heard was theorizing and speculation. People need to relax.

patsox23 said:
I'm sure what you heard was theorizing and speculation. People need to relax.
I believe it was speculation or guessing,not factual and I think it was announced from Adam Shein on there...Lets look at it this way,Its only going to get more easier for him to make those FGs the longer he plays and without a guy on the sidelines waiting to see if he F**ks up

Read somewhere this AM, that many of the great kickers currently in the game(Vinateri, Rackers etc.), have had up and down first seasons... he certainly has the leg strength, probably does need some tutoring and someone to work with the psychological part of this as well.

Great. Gostkowski missed one kick.

Whoop-de-frickin-do.

Don't listen to national radio shows. Hell, don't listen to local radio, either. Right here is your best source for rational speculation.

Last edited:
You're just picking up on the very simple addition that most sports writers make. Vet Kicker released + rookie kicker mistake = sign Vet Kicker.
Given Gramatica's performance with Indy, and the value of a roster spot, I'm thinking that the Pats will stand pat and roll the dice with Gotti.

pats1 said:
Great. Gostkowski missed one kick.

Whoop-de-frickin-do.

Don't listen to national radio shows. Hell, don't listen to local radio, either. Right here is your best source for rational speculation.
Actually he has missed three if you count the two that were blocked which were at least partially his fault.

Year G 1-19 20-29 30-39 40-49 50+
1996 16 1-1 9-10 8-8 8-14 1-2

This was Adam;s rookie. I think Ghost could easily put up similar numbers at the end of the year.

Alk said:
Actually he has missed three if you count the two that were blocked which were at least partially his fault.
Although they ar ethe same in the stat column, that is still one miss and two blocks which is NOT the same as three missed.

If you don't believe this, picture how you'd be talking if Ghost actually did misss three kicks. What if those blocks hadn't been blocked but were wide right.

You would certainly be more down on the rook if he had missed all three of them, so cut him some slack if they were blocked. And either of those kicks would have been blocked from any other kicker. A guy halfway between the snapper and the holder reaches up an arm, and a guy coming in unblocked from the side.

You guys really need to chill out. You sound like a bunch or Red Sox fans.

Alk said:

When you've got blocked kicks, it's almost always more than just the kicker.

There are altogether too many Nervous Nellies out today. You want to condemn a man, a rookie, no less, to perdition after 4 games? What team did you say you were rooting for?

Get a grip, man!

Patriotic Fervor said:
When you've got blocked kicks, it's almost always more than just the kicker.

There are altogether too many Nervous Nellies out today. You want to condemn a man, a rookie, no less, to perdition after 4 games? What team did you say you were rooting for?

Get a grip, man!
I never said I'm condemning him, or saying he's never going to be any good. I'm just saying I don't trust him right now. If you don't worry in the least when he lines up for a kick then you are definately a better person than I.

I guess I would have felt a little better about that 48 yd. miss if the ball had actually stayed in the state of Ohio.

Ghost just needs a little confidence and then he'll be fine.

Signing Gramatica would be horrible for the young kicker's confidence right now. All Ghost needs is a few 30 yarders and then he'll forget about everything, go out there and just kick. Clearly it's in his leg to be able to make 48 yarders, but his head got in the way.

NEM said:
Several teams carry two placekickers now. Gostkowski, apparently, looks real good on kickoffs, and that is a major factor. Gramatica would be insurance on FG's in the 35-45 yard range. I see nothing wrong with carrying both of them.

Wouldn't it stunt Gostkowski's growth? If we look at him as the kicker of the future, we might have to accept a few growing pains as we did with Adam V. Maybe we could've kept Matt Bahr as insurance, but we didn't, and if we had, maybe we'd have ended up using Bahr over Adam. But that's not how things went down, and I'd say everything certainly worked out for the best.

It is not required that anyone trust a rookie kicker at this point in the season.
If you want to discuss trusting a kicker, please recall the end of last year when we punted from inside the 40.

GOST will be fine. As is the case with most rookies, he needs time to get used to the NFL. And no, I don't accept that excuse for veterans.

Alk said:
I never said I'm condemning him, or saying he's never going to be any good. I'm just saying I don't trust him right now. If you don't worry in the least when he lines up for a kick then you are definately a better person than I.

Belichick did look very disgusted with how wide the 48 yard FG attempt went.

lobster said:
Belichick did look very disgusted with how wide the 48 yard FG attempt went.
I missed that but it doesn't surprise me. That kick wasn't even in the ballpark...literally.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back