PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Grahambo as a spy on Merriman?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patfandango

On the Roster
Reaction score
I'm not very good at this and would like feedback on this from all the X and O guys on this site. One strategy to neutralize a key offensive component (e.g. Faulk in SB 36) is to dedicate a single player as spy on every play. Has this ever been done for a defensive key player? The Chargers feed off of Merriman and a different strategy to frustrate him early may pay dividends. Graham is a great blocker and athletic enough to at least slow Merriman down. Constantly double teaming him has the disadvantage that it opens up opportunities for Phillips and others. Is this idiotic and how is it flawed? Here to learn.
Thanks.

Dan

I think you'll see Graham line up on the left side as help for Matt Light. You'll probably also see some RB help either on double-teams or chipping Merriman when he comes with the rush.

I'd also expect to see some planned rollouts away from Merriman in the passing game and some screens, draws and traps to slow down the pass rush.

Gonna take a lot of creativity to keep Merriman in line.

Due to illegal motion, etc, it's difficult for a TE to be a spy, unlike a LB on a running QB when a LB can move when and where he wants.

The more likely scenario in a TE blocking way would be 2 TE with TE staying in when a LB comes and going out into a pattern of the LB doesn't rush.

I'm not very good at this and would like feedback on this from all the X and O guys on this site. One strategy to neutralize a key offensive component (e.g. Faulk in SB 36) is to dedicate a single player as spy on every play. Has this ever been done for a defensive key player? The Chargers feed off of Merriman and a different strategy to frustrate him early may pay dividends. Graham is a great blocker and athletic enough to at least slow Merriman down. Constantly double teaming him has the disadvantage that it opens up opportunities for Phillips and others. Is this idiotic and how is it flawed? Here to learn.
Thanks.

Dan

What you are saying is use an offensive player strictly in a defensive sense as protection. Its diffficult for a single offensive player to key on a particular defensive player. Prior to the snap, offensive players must be set, while defensive players can move around. Calling out positioning of Merriman as the SAM, Mike or Willie prior to the snap is important, but you bring up a valid point about others. Edwards is their most prodigious tackler, while Merriman and Phillips have the most sacks. Guessing which is coming on the blitz will be very important to the Pats offensive success. We could use the max protect schemes we used to negate the Jets blitzing, keeping one TE and a back in to cover blitzing from the edges. If there isn't a blitz, the player can release.

Due to illegal motion, etc, it's difficult for a TE to be a spy, unlike a LB on a running QB when a LB can move when and where he wants.

The more likely scenario in a TE blocking way would be 2 TE with TE staying in when a LB comes and going out into a pattern of the LB doesn't rush.

You obviously type quicker than I do

when merriman lines up to the ouside i'm all for having graham take a shot before every route. hit him then release. that is, when he doesn't stay home to block.

of course, the defense can just move guys around or send an extra guy on graham's side.

it strikes me though as one of those things where you might be getting too cute. much better defensive minds than myself can probably find a way to exploit such a tactic.

Thanks for the quick answers. The illegal motion thing is a clear problem. I was just trying to think out of the box on a difficult problem for us this sunday.

The only way that Graham could really be a spy on Merriman would be to have him line up in the backfield. I can't see it happening.

I think you'll see Graham line up on the left side as help for Matt Light. You'll probably also see some RB help either on double-teams or chipping Merriman when he comes with the rush.

I'd also expect to see some planned rollouts away from Merriman in the passing game and some screens, draws and traps to slow down the pass rush.

Gonna take a lot of creativity to keep Merriman in line.

I think you are right.....especially see alot of "cut" plays by RB's on Merriman....believe me.....BB will have plans for both Merriman and the other top D lineman who's name has escaped me at the moment.......Pats will have a plan.....GO PATS!

Based on the title of this thread, I thought Graham was sneaking a peek into Merriman's medicine cabinet just to try to needle him. :eek:

The only way that Graham could really be a spy on Merriman would be to have him line up in the backfield. I can't see it happening.
Interesting that you mention this. There have been numerous times this year, where we have lined up Graham and Watson in the backfield, split behind Brady. They usually released out to the flat on their respective sides after a brief pause to insure there weren't any edge rushers. This could be a possibility, with one staying home and the other releasing depending on the defensive scheme. Could be difficult to defend, one of these guys on a potential screen.

Merriman is a great player, but I think people are going a little overboard in this thread. I am sure that Graham is going to be used heavily as a blocker in this game because the Chargers are great a rushing the passer. I am also sure that Watson, Thomas, Faulk, Maroney and Dillon are also going to have to have excellent blocking games in order to slow down SD's pressure.

(side note: If SD makes a good counter to get around the chips and double teams from TEs and RBs, watch for NE to use an assortment of screens)

But Merriman is not that much better of a pass rusher than some of the guys that NE has faced in the past like Porter and Freeney. In fact, if I were to spy anyone it would be Porter because he is more likely to rush on every down than Merriman is.

Plus, what does Graham do if Merriman drops back? Pick someone else up, most likely. But that means two things:
1) Graham has to delay blocking someone else until it is clear what Merriman's intentions are.
2) Isn't Graham really just a pass blocking back in that case?

I don't know. I certainly could be wrong and NE is almost definintely going to do something that I wouldn't have thought of, but I don't see this happening.

Thanks for the quick answers. The illegal motion thing is a clear problem. I was just trying to think out of the box on a difficult problem for us this sunday.
It isn't a bad thought inside or outside the box. The responsibility lies with Tommy, Koppen may make assignments with the O-line and TEs, but Brady has the final say, especially moving TEs, RBs, or WRs around for blitz pick-up and run blocking. A fair number of times that Tommy has been sacked or hit hard by a blitzing player, the fault was his for missing the read or not moving a blocker. Jets SS Kerry Rhodes' hit Tommy back-to-back in the first game this season, forcing a fumble on the second - both were Tommy's fault as far as I could see. He has to know where Merriman and Phillips are, point them out to Koppen, and check Koppen's assignments to make sure Grahambo & Friends are ready to pick-up the blitz. Hopefully the WRs are hitting the hot route books hard!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes