Welcome to PatsFans.com

Graham Harrell?

Discussion in 'Patriots Draft Talk' started by ctpatsfan77, Nov 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ctpatsfan77

ctpatsfan77 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +674 / 12 / -5

The Pats took Kingsbury from TT, after all. I'm not saying he's worth a Day One pick or anything, but do you think the Pats might take a late flyer on him?

Conversely. . . . do you think there's any chance the Pats might be confident enough with O'Connell backing Brady up that they go the two QB route again?

2. dryheat44

dryheat44 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +78 / 2 / -0

#75 Jersey

First answer, Hell no. Every QB looks like Dan freakin' Fouts in Leach's offense, and the next one who has a Pro Career will be the first.

Second answer, Doubtful. Now that Brady's ironman streak is over, I would think Belichick would want 3 QBs on the 53. Turns out #12 can get hurt. Who knew?

Of course, it's possible they could end up with a rookie who played some QB in addition to his normal WR position who could play at a competent level for a #3. I'm astounded teams like Oakland, Washington, Jacksonville, and Pittsburgh carry a third quarterback when there's a WR on the team who was a competent college quarterback. Use the slot on an extra lineman or cornerback instead, I would think.

3. BradyManny

BradyManny Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +91 / 4 / -0

I've wondered about this recently. My personal preference would be to only carry 2 on the 53 and to have a developmental guy (like Gutierrez) on the practice squad. I don't know if Gutes is PS eligble next year though...I guess he's been technically inactive for all the games this season since he's the emergency QB.

4. dryheat44

Ratings:
    +78 / 2 / -0

#75 Jersey

The problem being a PS player is free to sign with any team at any time. If Brady were to go down under that scenario, I guarantee the Jets and Dolphins would make an offer on the PS QB, just to screw the Pats.

5. KontradictioN

KontradictioN Do you even lift? PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,870 / 31 / -48

No Jersey Selected

Graham Harrell? No. Michael Crabtree? YEEEEESSSSSS. Doubt he'll be around for us though but could you imagine Crabtree lined up opposite from #81 with Welker and Gaffney in the slots? WOW.

6. BradyManny

BradyManny Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +91 / 4 / -0

Very good point.

7. ctpatsfan77

ctpatsfan77 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +674 / 12 / -5

He should be; he was the emergency QB all of last year too, and even saw some action (but not enough).

Just remember that signing someone off the PS is not like claiming a player off of waivers: (A) the player is not obligated to accept an offer from another team (and, under the circumstances, you'd think the Pats would try to activate him), and (B) the team who signs him (only) has to keep him on the roster for three weeks.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2008
  8. Ochmed Jones

Ochmed Jones Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +15 / 2 / -0

#12 Jersey

That funky Leach offense is designed to clear defenders out of a zone and then drag another offensive player through that zone and based on how the defense reacts coverage wise tells Harrell where to throw the ball. I have a couple of problems projecting Harrell at the NFL level because:

1.) The windows he is throwing in are HUGE! For the most part, NFL windows are small and very tight. That is a monster adjustment for Harrell.
    2.) The reads are easy, Harrell has to key the safeties and away he goes. NFL reads are tough and complicated. For all their talent, Klingler and Ware (from similar offenses) never learned to read defenses properly and flamed out in the NFL because of it.
    3.) Harrell usually has all day and sometimes all night to throw the ball. Compress the throwing time and either his mechanics or his easy reads could fail him.

On the plus side, Harrell looks to be very poised and very accurate with the ball and he does not appear to be staring down any receivers. Those are big time pluses in the NFL. Matt Ryan had the same big time intangibles that Harrell has and he has led Atlanta to the exact same record as the Patriots. There is a lot to be said for intangibles as a mega important part of an NFL QB's makeup and Harrell has them.

9. cstjohn17

cstjohn17 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +43 / 11 / -4

#54 Jersey

Maybe, but wasn't Guitz. on the street this year after Brady went down? He was left to pack grocery bags in the hinterland of North Idaho.

The whole concept of 'stealing' players from a PS is overrated especially at QB.

10. Box_O_Rocks

Box_O_Rocks PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0

Gutierrez is not as bad as people want to think, his preseason wasn't as strong as I'd have liked to see, but I expect he'll improve in his understanding of the offense and improve enough to be a servicable reserve next season. My big question will be how well O'Connell progresses going into next season.

11. VJCPatriot

VJCPatriot Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +53 / 1 / -4

A 'wildcat' QB would not be out of the question. IE a guy who can pass/catch/run out of that funky new formation that is working quite effectively so far in the NFL. I don't think the Pats take a QB before round 4 though. Otherwise it's vet backup time.

12. dryheat44

Ratings:
    +78 / 2 / -0

#75 Jersey

My point was that if the Patriots had two quarterbacks on the roster, let's say Brady and Cassel, and one on the P.S....let's say O'Connell, as BradyManny said he would prefer, and Brady went down like he did in week 1, I can guarantee you the Jets or Dolphins or Colts would attempt to sign O'Connell to their active roster, if no other reason than to screw New England, as they would be down to a single quarterback that they went to camp with, and would now have to sign and teach two quarterbacks.

That was a run-on sentence worthy of Michener right there.

13. jeffbiologist

jeffbiologist Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

With Gutz coming back(getting another year of familiarity in the system)and drafting OC and Brady I dont see any need to even be talking about another QB. BB has proved he would rather have someone familiar with the system than any vet....my guess is that Gutz stays.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.