Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

What grade would you give Matt Cassel v. Denver?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
C+/B-

Statistically, he had a great game, 3TDs, no picks, great QB rating, blah blah blah.

Taken in the context of being gifted a short field several times, playing against a terrible defense getting gashed by the Pats run game, and the Bronco's best CB leaving the game with an injury . . . . not such a great game.

One stat that sticks out is his awful YPA, which to me indicates he has trouble making reads downfield (above ten yards especially). The OL breakdowns hurtshim here, but it's painful to see him on TV, he sees his first option is covered or the pocket starts to breakdown a little bit and he mentally implodes.

A good defense, or a defense that can stop the Pats running attack, would have eaten him alive (see SD last week).

is 4k posts a lot? cause it doesn't seem like that many...maybe people with over 10k posts....but I guess you can settle for mediocrity if you want.:eek:

there are some people that have NO real life, but in forums they are kings.

184 yards against a pathetic defense missing basically all of it's secondary, a lot of which were exaggerated by YAC. His reads were just ok and he still holds the ball too long.
I take it you only watched the first half, then? Try to get a copy of the game and watch the second half.

Watch a player improve bbefore your very eyes.

I take it you only watched the first half, then? Try to get a copy of the game and watch the second half.

Watch a player improve bbefore your very eyes.

Yeah you got it, I only watched the first half. EXCELLENT POINT:rolleyes:

I'm not a big fan of Cassel and I give him a A for his performance last night. Yes, I'm a generous person:)

This is how I want to see when we are on the field. Hopefully, he will keep up the good work. Perhaps, he took my criticism seriously.
So you are the guy who called him after the first toss to Moss in the endzone (that Bailey knocked down) and told him to throw higher from now on? He listened to you. Reming him again before the Rams game, will you? Oh, and tell Josh that Cassel looked good on rollouts. Slowed the pass rush right down. Ask him why he didn't do that with Brady last February.

Seriously, we all said it would take a while for Cassel to settle in, given his lack of game experience, but then we showed impatience that he wasn't ready. He's getting there, and hopefully will peak in January!

What I want to know is who are the maroons who gave Cassel an F.

Last edited:
For the clowns who gave MC an F, you don't know ****e about football or are just plain trolls and have no business posting on this section of the forum.

Yeah you got it, I only watched the first half. EXCELLENT POINT:rolleyes:
Ah, well then, in the second half, Cassel averaged holding the ball about 1.5 seconds per play. Bim, bam, toss. Bim, bam, toss. When he moved out of the pocket, it was with eyes downfield and ball ready to toss, not a tuck the ball and run till you get tackled move.

You should have seen the TD to Welked. It was exactly the same as when Brady threw it last year many times. Hopefully, it will be many times for Cassel-Welker this year.

Hopefully, you will see the same stuff next week against the suddenly resurgent Rams (Wish we had played them before Linehan was fired)

Ah, well then, in the second half, Cassel averaged holding the ball about 1.5 seconds per play. Bim, bam, toss. Bim, bam, toss. When he moved out of the pocket, it was with eyes downfield and ball ready to toss, not a tuck the ball and run till you get tackled move.

You should have seen the TD to Welked. It was exactly the same as when Brady threw it last year many times. Hopefully, it will be many times for Cassel-Welker this year.

Hopefully, you will see the same stuff next week against the suddenly resurgent Rams (Wish we had played them before Linehan was fired)

so you're grading him based on how he improves as the game goes on. Just because the Welker TD was similar to a Brady TD doesn't change the fact that it was Welker's ability to run in the end zone not Cassel's (or Brady's) ability to find him that made it a TD. A simple short-range pass that most QBs in this league would make easily. Just because the Pats started changing to screen passes and quick dumpoffs doesn't mean that Cassel didn't hold the ball too long when he had to make reads. if his primary target was covered it took him a very long time to get rid of the ball.

If you want to give him an A based on low expectations and improvements he made against a horrendous defense, then I won't argue with you. But as far as NFL starting QBs go his overall performance last night, in my mind, was a B-.

Last edited:
He gets a b- from me.I cant believe the people who are giving this guy B+ and As.You guys would be lousy teachers.:D

If teams cover Moss well and take away the slot pass or short screen then Cassel needs to find other ways and within seconds to do so or he is entering sack city everytime

-So far he has been killed against teams that give him neither choice (slot or deep to Moss) to go with the ball. -

When the running game has been good the team wins - When they suck at the run the team loses - Its quite simple to see at this point in time.

Teams WILL stop the run going into the playoff push so if this team is going to win consistently Cassel needs to fully mature and fast - Theres only 10 games left to do it.

He gets a b- from me.I cant believe the people who are giving this guy B+ and As.You guys would be lousy teachers.:D

I would give him a B or B-/C+ on the season. But my understanding was the question was what grade does he get on last nights test.

He avoided the turnovers, although he was lucky with that incredibly bad swing pass that he double-clutched and then threw it totally out of reach of the receiver.

He held the ball too way too long too often.

When he did throw it, he generally did well including the 3 TDs.

I graded him a "B", although that may be a little high. No turnovers really helps the grade - that and being graded on the scale of "don't lose the game".

Last edited:
I give him a B.

The real problem is that he won't last the season unless he (a) makes better adjustments for the o-line at the LOS; and (b) gets rid of the ball faster so he doesn't get killed.

I'll give him a B-. First touchdown to Randy Moss was a laser, other touchdowns were catch and run plays that had little to do with him. No deep attempts, held onto the ball too long, but other than one near-interception, he was accurate for the most part.

I am surprised, most Bills fans are not total morons and have some concept of football. Crowell must be an exception.
Are you sure he's a Bills fan? Acts more like a Jest fan, or Raider fan to me.

I'll give him a B-. First touchdown to Randy Moss was a laser, other touchdowns were catch and run plays that had little to do with him.
What I liked about the Moss play was that Cassel tried it earlier and it was batted away by Champ. The second time Cassel through it high and made Moss of up for it where only he could get it. Nice example of Lessons Learned.

The Welker pass was a timed play that need the ball at a certain point at a certain time. It was reminescent of Brady-Welker last year.

The Moss screen was a catch and run, with great blocking.

It is funny that when we lose, it is Cassel's fault because it is the QB's job to lead to offense, yet when we win big, it is because he was helped by others.

Bledsoe once said that QBs get more credit than they deserve when a team wins, and more blame then they deserve when their team loses, and that is pretty accurate. If you want to blame him when he loses, man up when he wins, and man up big when he wins big.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Back