Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

What grade would you give Matt Cassel v. Denver?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well this poll official proves Patslifer is nothing more than a troll. Only Jets fan would give Cassel an F.

he did make a couple of nice throws to Moss and a couple of td passes.

i would say a solid B.

Cassel still holds onto the ball way to long and has not made much improvement in seeing the field. he's got to learn to hit those receivers a lot quicker.
I totally agree with him holding the ball too long. He didn't "F" up too too much other than multiple sacks but a couple of those sacks could have been TD's passes/runs if he didn't hesitate.

I gave him a C, he did not turn the ballover, moved the chains.. threw a few nice balls..

My negatives is that he does not move in the pocket well, and cannot pick up the secondary receiver... about 2/3 of the sacks could be avoide with quicker decisions and more pocket movement.

Statistically, a good game. Next step for him is to learn to get rid of the ball instead of taking the neg. yards. On a couple of the sacks he had no chance, but a couple of times he turned around a couple of times looking for a place to run, just through the ball. And that almost interception at the goal line, just a terrible throw. Nice to see the Pats came right back with the same pattern for him.
Statically, a good game, very much so, but the major reason was because of the turnovers.. I think our D did much better than usual but our O line still needs improvement. With all the Denver turnovers tonight imagine what we could have done with our Offense??? Don't get me wrong, Matt is not our best QB we've had and I'm not a fan of his but he didn't do too bad tonight and there were many more TD's we could have had especially if our O line stepped up and protected.

My logic is that he threw for only 184 yards against a **** defense and the Pats ran for most of the yards they gained. You can twist my words all you want but none of what you said is relevant to my point. The defense he faced was absolutely terrible and he didn't shine against them but rather managed a decent game. If this is still too complicated for you to understand I'm not sure I can help you out any further.

So now it IS about the yards again. 'Round and 'round you go....

FWIW, I gave him a B+. I didn't see enough downfield passing for my liking, but he didn't make any stupid mistakes.

As far as the sacks go, at least three, IIRC, were the result of poor blocking, and I don't think any QB would have had a chance on some of them (e.g., the one where a LB came in entirely unblocked).

On the flip side, his decision making actually seemed to improve over the course of the game (in the 4th quarter I saw him make plays on downs that would probably have ended in sacks in the 1st quarter).

Can't really expect the trolls to say anything good about him in a three TD night but I thought he did a great job. Besides the bad pass where he overthrew Faulk and almost got picked, he did everything we could have possibly expected from him. Look, this is Matt Cassel. He's not going to go out there like Brady and throw for over 400 yards with 5 TD passes but he did manage the game really well and leaned on the running game (Green-Ellis looked really good too) and the defense (which played lights out). Was this not what all of us wanted when Brady went out? A solid game manager that could put points on the board? For his performance last night I give him an A. Patslifer is also a douchebag troll who should be banned from the forum.

B-. He needs to get rid of the damn ball, I can't count how many times I yelled that at the tv last night. He needs to get better at taking his second and third reads and checking down, there is no reason to get sacked that much. While it's true that the O-line isn't performing that well the major difference between Brady and Cassel is obvious when you see how long he holds on to the ball.

While it's true that the O-line isn't performing that well the major difference between Brady and Cassel is obvious when you see how long he holds on to the ball.

I had no idea there was a difference. I was sure they had cloned Brady and he just thought he was playing Miami every week.

You've turned my expectations on their collective ear.....

I gave him a C, he did not turn the ballover, moved the chains.. threw a few nice balls..

My negatives is that he does not move in the pocket well, and cannot pick up the secondary receiver... about 2/3 of the sacks could be avoide with quicker decisions and more pocket movement.

I agree with this, He did decent against the worst defense in the league, showed some improvement by throwing the ball away, not taking a safety.....I was pleased by his performance but still a C.

B-. He needs to get rid of the damn ball, I can't count how many times I yelled that at the tv last night. He needs to get better at taking his second and third reads and checking down, there is no reason to get sacked that much. While it's true that the O-line isn't performing that well the major difference between Brady and Cassel is obvious when you see how long he holds on to the ball.

How many of the sacks were the result of the blocking completely missing, where the QB had no chance?

MANAGED the QB position O.K. but a C is the correct grade here

Still has no idea of how to get rid of the ball quick and has absolutely the worst pocket presence in the league

Most of this completions were 5 and 8 yard out patterns so nothing to write home about,But other than the NEAR interception at the 1 that was overturned he was mistake-free and that alone deserves a compliment

Morris was an 'A 'tonight as well as Hobbs and Goskowski who is quickly becoming Mr. accurate inside of the 35 - Other than that grades were Bs and Cs

LOL This is why fanboy grading is a joke exercise. 41 points scored vs. 7 allowed for one of the highest scoring teams in the league versus one of the lowest scoring through week 6...

I give him a B to maybe a B+. Despite the sacks he looked MUCH better than he has and hopefully he continues to build on that. He gets an A for toughness though.

Glad to see that he has improved. Thought he could have avoided at least two of the sacks but not all sacks were his fault.

I was pumped up to see them attempt to go for a big pass right before the half (when we got the ball after an INT) but was disappointed to see him go down.

Though I voted a "B" for this game, I would like to reserve my judgement on his overall performance until the eighth game. Hopefully he keeps improving and sustains drives that enable us to get us more TDs than FGs. :)

So now it IS about the yards again. 'Round and 'round you go....

Unfortunately for you, that has been my reason all along. Nice try though.

Really? Hmmm......

184 yards against a pathetic defense missing basically all of it's secondary, a lot of which were exaggerated by YAC. His reads were just ok and he still holds the ball too long. Check out the Passer ratings of QBs against Denver this year, all of which are above 100 except 1. I think he's improved, and I hope he can continue to, but I'm not going to get carried away a B- grade is completely fair. Giving him an A for this game is just as knee jerk as giving him an F for the Miami and SD games.

The team put up over 40 points, and Cassel was 18 for 24. The team only punted 3 times all game, and there was never a 3-and-out for the Patriots. The offense scored on 7 of the 10 non 'ending' drives. Exactly how many yards do you think he needed to throw for?

That's not the point. An "A" grade means he shined, and I don't think he did. He was just OK from what I saw and isn't responsible for the entire offensive output. Passer rating is the dumbest stat in sports. we ran the ball at will with whatever back we put in the game, I'm not going to give Cassel credit for that.

This was a case of the Denver defense being a shambles. Cassel still shows that he has no pocket presence, holds on to the ball too long and every time he rolls out, it's like holding up a billboard saying "Cassel to Moss."

I will him Kudos for not losing the ball when he is sacked, but until he becomes a 10+ yard throwing threat, the Ds are going to stay close and increase the pressure.

The game was a confidence boost over all and nothing beats Moss smiling like he was. If Cassel can keep connecting, we just might see the post-season.

Why waste your time? They'll never admit that they were wrong and that Cassel looked A LOT better than he has once the team start playing as a team. Why would they possibly want to eat crow? I predicted this last night as the game was ending and I was considering whether or not to come on here (I usually one use this forum at work) and talk about it. I said to myself, "what will I possibly get out of it? All they are going to say is 'bad defense, bad defense, BAD DEFENSE!"

You know what? I'll eat some crow in this thread since nobody seems to want to. I went out on a limb and said we should use Seymour as trade bait in the offseason and he proved me wrong by having a MONSTER game last night. I was dead wrong and so were a few of you. AT LEAST join me in eating some crow on this one. Or are some of you going to sit back and try to tell me with a straight face that Denver's offensive line sucks? :rolleyes:

Pros:
- Nice TD to Moss in the back of the endzone
- Nice TD to Welker on the pylon route
- Nice read and throw to Watson early in the game on a cross for a 1st
- Executed the WR screens well
- Didn't turn the ball over

Cons:
- Still gets rattled in the pocket and holds ball too long
- Aside from the Watson throw, stays away from middle of field
- Pass to Faulk should have been easy, but turned into an almost-INT

Cassel continues to appear a bit timid on his over-the-middle reads and anything over 10 yards downfield. He continues to rely heavily on set plays like WR screens that don't require any serious reads. And of course his eyes quickly abandon his WRs in favor of an escape route once he feels even the slightest of pressure. On many nights, this would not have been good enough. But last night against a team with one of the most horrific run defenses I've ever seen (I did NOT see that coming at all and I've watched the Broncos a bit this year...bad run D, but not like that) that forced the safeties to stay in the middle of the field and allowed the WR screens to flourish, his performance was good.

Solid B.

Regards,
Chris

Taking out the sacks he gets an A- or an A considering it's his first year starting.

Factoring in the sacks, he gets a B.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back